KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Cold bike. Sounds a little "metallic". Better sounding when warm. I will upload another video on a warm bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well thanks to this great write up (and a few YouTube videos) I've just went and bought one of these!

My only hope is its not one of the ones that comes with both baffles welded in!

Is there much of a difference between main baffle in or out? Also is there any noticeable different with how it runs/idles (either baffle in or out)? Reason I ask as I used to have an old 2005 R6 with a short scorpion slip on exhaust and it used to run so rough when you took the baffle out

·
Registered
34 Posts
well looks like I got some lame euro edition where both baffles are in.

20200708_151907.jpg

The only thing I could try is see what its like first and if it still sounds too oem grind the spot welds off the smaller one and take it out and maybe drill a big hole in the bottom off the internal one

·
Super-Moderator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would just take out the one. Don't worry about the second. It works and sounds great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah its the main one in the actual end can that would be a nightmare to take out.. looks like its not going anywhere. The one in the link pipe seems like it could be taken out quite easily.

just fitted it all there but its blowing from the cat to mid pipe join so need to play about with it. Don't want to over tighten it in case that bracket snaps. I hate working on exhaust :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Right got it on but ended up using the oem bolt. The supplied one with the spacer seems too long. Unless I've done something wrong? Its current sitting like this. (No blows now haha)

20200708_170748.jpg
20200708_170755.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
And the final result. I love the shorty look and the black is, actually, very nice on this bike:

Sound is much beefier. Even without the DBK, I don't find it to be that offensive, as long as you are not idling in place too much 😉
Looks awesome. I just order mine. Have you noticed any gain or lost on the bikes performance? I'm asking because I was told that you loose 10 HP from the IXrace. There is a german video were the bike is tested on the roller. (y):cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd say depends if you get one with both baffles welded in or not. Mine did so I ended up sending it back. If its straight through and free flowing it will sound better.

·
Super-Moderator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Looks awesome. I just order mine. Have you noticed any gain or lost on the bikes performance? I'm asking because I was told that you loose 10 HP from the IXrace. There is a german video were the bike is tested on the roller. (y):cool:
I have not felt any power loss. I would not expect any, definitely for just a slip-on, with the CAT remaining on the bike. Wouldn't worry about this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can vouch for the lXrace, just fitted to my 2020 and it looks great and sounds great, (with the db killers left in on mine).
There is no loss of power, but only a gain of 1-2 hp on mine. I cannot comment on those who take out the baffles though, it may sound great, but that doesn't equate to performance. If you are taking anything out , don't touch the end can, just take the top hat out of the link pipe which is very lightly spot welded.
The weight saving when you remove stock and pillion pegs is massive.
I also removed the guard bar on the link pipe and fitted a black carbon heat shield.
(y) enjoy !

·
Super-Moderator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Really for looks, sound and a significant weight reduction. Power should not be affected, either up or down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed. Although , I have never had a slip on end can on any bike that has not been a slight improvement, never a loss
of performance.

·
Super-Moderator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
There's a lot of debate in the forum about this. And a lot of theories.

The bottom line is that just a can will not produce a large effect, without remapping, decating, etc. A few HP, plus or minus, might be a testing error or caused by slightly different conditions. I am aware of correction, BTW.

·
Registered
2018 KTM,790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2008 Kawasaki KLE500
124 Posts
I did not noticed any real world difference in performance when I fitted the IXrace can.
And it sounds so much better.(y)
I think you would have to do side by side dyno tests to see if there was any change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks good and has a lovely growl to it.
I know on any bike whether performance is better or worse simply from redlining through upper gears and checking top end. If I wanted more hp, i'd get a 1290 :giggle:. I just love the power to weight ratio and torque that this 790 gives, it's a joy toride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It definitely loses hp, there have been enough back to back dyno results to prove that.

It’s not really a noticeable loss though, and the improved sound will make you think it’s gained power. That’s just human nature.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts