KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the back-order situation was resolved, I received the new slip on. Well packaged and lightweight for sure.

No instructions attached (this is not a very complicated job. Just a packing list:

and a copy of the exit side of the connecting pipe, for anyone interested:

Attachments

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did not take a picture of the DB Killer, although I left it out, so I can add one later.

Installing the new connecting pipe proved more difficult than expected. The clamp just doesn't want to go on. Feels like a four hand job, but I only have two. After some fiddling, I made it work. Make sure you use the supplied longer bolt, otherwise it is really tough to get to stay on.

Attachments

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Next came the silencer. I installed all bolts but did not torque until after everything was in place. The fit it very tight and well done.

Springs are easy to fit with the provided puller tool.

Attachments

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the final result. I love the shorty look and the black is, actually, very nice on this bike:

Sound is much beefier. Even without the DBK, I don't find it to be that offensive, as long as you are not idling in place too much :wink:

Attachments

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last one, side by side:

I did not weigh the parts, but there's data online on both old and new weights. It is significant difference.

Attachments

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a very complicated install and I don't think should be a problem for anyone with a few hand tools to perform. Only difficulty was getting the connecting piece to the CAT and making it stay. Not too bad.

Just sharing the experience.

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
Very nice @QCS really like the black finish. Do you use the rear pegs? I’ve taken mine off, personally find it aesthetically more pleasing.

Maybe chuck up a video with some sound if you get a moment.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't use the pegs when I ride alone :wink:

I left them on. Sometimes my kids hop on the back and my wife tried it yesterday and I think there is more backseat riding in her (near) future. She has her own permit and we used to ride together a lot, before the kids arrived, but that was a very long time ago.

I am planning on riding today/tomorrow. I will get a vid going.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice write up @QCS - I think the stubby looks great, how does it sound compared the the stock exhaust?

Do the protection bars on the connecting pipe get hot? I once burned a hole in an old pair of pants on with a cover a bit like that.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@QCS - That link pipe needs some black VHT paint - imo (of course).
I think you are right. Saw it after it was all installed. Should be as black as the can. Probably next project. Contemplating PCV now (but we discussed this separately).

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice write up @QCS - I think the stubby looks great, how does it sound compared the the stock exhaust?

Do the protection bars on the connecting pipe get hot? I once burned a hole in an old pair of pants on with a cover a bit like that.
Thanks.

Sound is lower, fuller and louder, for sure. Much more "barking" than before. I will try to upload a vid later.

Not sure about the bars. I rode a quick one yesterday, no suit just jeans, and did not see/feel anything wrong. Not sure I am even getting that close to it.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's the deep breath before the plunge.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Next came the silencer. I installed all bolts but did not torque until after everything was in place. The fit it very tight and well done.

Springs are easy to fit with the provided puller tool.

I don't know if the "Washer" "spacer" go in front or behind ? because in front there is no technical reason, and behind, the muffler blow in the license plate direction...
I don't use it, and use the original screw which is shorter.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know if the "Washer" "spacer" go in front or behind ? because in front there is no technical reason, and behind, the muffler blow in the license plate direction...
I don't use it, and use the original screw which is shorter.
Good point. I thought about doing the same. Might just switch bolts and drop the extra spacer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts