KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've acquired 2 exhausts to test out and see which I'm sticking with. First up is the Yoshimura slip on. Popped it on today and did a reading in case anyone would like to know before they buy one. My meter was set to C scale and all measurements taken form the same spot.

Stock was:
97dB @ idle
115 dB @ 4500rpm

Yoshimura Slip on with Cat:
99 dB @idle
108 dB @4500rpm

I'm a little suprised about the lower reading at higher RPM but I think that is due to the lower additional frequencies and the C scale weighting on the meter. That said, ears on the road, it doesn't sound louder to me, just a lot more low end grunt and generally more grin worthy.

Overall I think its a great option for better sound while remaining neighbor friendly.

Can't wait to see how the Arrow duals sound with decat. I'll post up those numbers in a separate thread as well for anyone interested who may be looking at that option.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's interesting. Always thought the stock can sounds good. I just can't find a good heel position with the stock can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Zack, surprised to see those numbers! I feel my Yosh slip-on is definitely louder than the stock unit. The Yosh has a much deeper gowl at idle and it is really nice as you rev it out. It's not Harley, open pipe loud, but border-line obnoxious for my neighbors when I start it up in the am. I do like it though!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zack, surprised to see those numbers! I feel my Yosh slip-on is definitely louder than the stock unit. The Yosh has a much deeper gowl at idle and it is really nice as you rev it out. It's not Harley, open pipe loud, but border-line obnoxious for my neighbors when I start it up in the am. I do like it though!

Yeah, me too. It makes sense though as I considered it more. Psychologically and subjectively we perceive loudness largely based off the lower end of the frequency range. So with the increased low end we perceive it as a lot louder, and yet the sound pressure meter tells a different story since it's just taking an objective measurement. Of course all that said, since your neighbors are people and not SPL meters, that doesn't help them too much 😅

Fortunately for me, my neighbor runs open pipes on his Harley and I have an open piped vintage race bike that I ride all the time too. So he and I have probably conditioned the other folks in our area to the rumble and they are probably grateful I have the Yoshimura on there right now 😂

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’m actually looking for something not too loud for when i fire it up in the morning!! Was looking at the sc project s1 but people are saying its very loud!! The yoshi looks great also!! You say its deep sounding and not too loud and that’s exactly what I’m looking for!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.