KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
the shock should fit, the bike frame should be the same.
I'm not so sure about the fork: I don't know if the 790 outer tube of the original fork is the same of the 890.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pretty sure this would be stupidly expensive, like second hand Duke 790 expensive
Haha that is one very good reason! My understanding is the original Apex Pro kit for 790 brings it to beyond-890 levels of suspension anyways, right?

Don't mind me, I'll just be over here rationalizing how KTM could do this to me after buying the brand-new-to-market 790 a year ago.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Thought that the entire idea was that there no need to spend more on the 890R suspenders... LOL...

How we find money to spend on our bikes...

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
Thought that the entire idea was that there no need to spend more on the 890R suspenders... LOL...

How we find money to spend on our bikes...
I honestly can't see anyone thinking that the stock 890R boingers aren't more than adequate.

Then again, I did have that one friend (Novice club racer) who spent $3800 on "Ducati Superleggera dayglo red/orange" paint for 2 sets of race bodywork a few years back instead of $700 for regular paint so I guess there's always gonna be a market for those who just can't wait to give their money away. :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
To me the deal is to have the suspensions properly setup for the rider weight.
Being in the 135/140lbs range, usually the standard stock supensions/springs are too stiff for me (I think KTM setup the standard suspension for an average rider of 165lbs, more or less).
Of course, even to be able to adjust the fork preload is nice.

It would be interesting to know the pricepoint of this 890 WP upgrade, compared to the 790 one.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I would assume that the upgrade components are the same. I am not aware of ant significant dimension or weight differences, although I am not sure.

In this case, the 790 might be a better platform for suspension upgrades, due to its lower price. I am aware of the other differences (mainly engine and brakes).

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ive spent about $2300 NZ$ on my suspension, I've just had my Matris fork kit dynoed and re-valved, oh my god, its issanely good. The matrix came with too heavy springs, we fitted lighter springs, i said its still harsh in bumps like change of seal, and the rebound was to slow, he put be on the back burner because he's snowed under with work, but i recently fixed his shower and maitainence around his house, and got the forks finally dynoed. And it had too much high speed dampening, and the rebound was too restrictive. all sorted now, and its amazing. You can spend as much money as you like on suspension, but the real test is how it feels on the road, and if theres doubt it needs to be put on a dyno to see the dampening curves. I shall post some pics soon on the dyno map.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
The 890 R has much improved suspension components over the 790. Both bikes, BTW, have a very good suspension setup, for what they offer and for their respective price points.

The 890R suspension is very good, but not really top shelf componentry. It is much more than adequate for all street and most track applications. It is also more adjustable (that is... it is adjustable), compared to the 790, which is not. Big difference.

That said, people who are looking to upgrade the 890R's suspension and/or make it suit their specific weight and riding style, will probably spend the exact amount of moola as people upgrading the 790 suspension, just because the will be buying the same components.spring changes and/or re-valving will save some of this investment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
With only 500 released in the US, its got similar production numbers to the BMW H4, so unless they keep releasing new models it could be a rare bike.
I think the Apex pro is a more sensible upgrade though

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am surprised that I am actually pretty pleased with the 890 suspension even though it is undersprung for my svelte girlish body. Most bikes I have owned I resprung... even the SDR 1290 I had custom springs from Konflict Suspension that I installed.

But this bike... if I ride smoothly (which I should be doing anyway), I don't use up all the travel. That ring on the right fork leg shows I have about 1/2" I have not used yet. Ideally I would respring it and maybe use heavier oil, but for now, I'm enjoying it and that's all that matters to me.

I think KTM did a helluva job on this motorcycle.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I am surprised that I am actually pretty pleased with the 890 suspension even though it is undersprung for my svelte girlish body. Most bikes I have owned I resprung... even the SDR 1290 I had custom springs from Konflict Suspension that I installed.
Why are you surprised? The 890R has great suspension. So does the 790, for that matter and for what it is, a great bike with relatively budget suspension. Both serve most riders well.

At the end of the day, you are in a "biker's forum". We just like to complain and spend ridiculous amount of money on upgrades. We also love to show off the upgrades...

The silent majority just buy, ride and enjoy motorcycles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts