KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just posted this on a Motorcycle.com. Enjoy.

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/mo-tested-wp-apex-pro-6500-cartridges-and-6746-shock

TLDR: I like the upgrade.
Great review @EvansB2 - and a great insight into the difference between stock OEM and the WP Apex Pro kit - pricey, but maybe worth it for those who ride the bumpier roads.

I miss having an easier rear preload adjustment on the rear of the 790 having experience a super easy hand-wheel adjustment on one of my other bikes. I think the OEM 790 suspensions is a slightly too stiff for my (light) weight.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Great review @EvansB2 - and a great insight into the difference between stock OEM and the WP Apex Pro kit - pricey, but maybe worth it for those who ride the bumpier roads.

I miss having an easier rear preload adjustment on the rear of the 790 having experience a super easy hand-wheel adjustment on one of my other bikes. I think the OEM 790 suspensions is a slightly too stiff for my (light) weight.
Mate - Being in the UK and in the middle bit too - you might do better by going to see Maxton. I have never regretted fitting Maxton Fork Innards to my R3. And had I not already invested in different rear shocks prior to doing the forks - I would have ordered them from Maxton too.

I have always found I need to back off rebound about 1/2 turn and compression maybe 1/4 on every "supplied to spec" suspension I have purchased. Rears I usually only need to back off compression a bit. I'm mid 80 kgs - it varies. And I'll admit - as I age - comfort matters more.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
Great article thank you! Really nice to see the mention of maintenance there too, it was something I hadn't considered with new suspension parts. I cannot wait to get these installed over the winter.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Good write-up. Thanks.

Price for the WP is not that far off from the Ohlins+Andreani. Ohlins+Ohlins is a bit more expensive. I wonder how they all compare.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just posted this on a Motorcycle.com. Enjoy.

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/mo-tested-wp-apex-pro-6500-cartridges-and-6746-shock

TLDR: I like the upgrade.
Mate - Being in the UK and in the middle bit too - you might do better by going to see Maxton. I have never regretted fitting Maxton Fork Innards to my R3. And had I not already invested in different rear shocks prior to doing the forks - I would have ordered them from Maxton too.

I have always found I need to back off rebound about 1/2 turn and compression maybe 1/4 on every "supplied to spec" suspension I have purchased. Rears I usually only need to back off compression a bit. I'm mid 80 kgs - it varies. And I'll admit - as I age - comfort matters more.
Yea, will look - the weather is grim for riding here at the moment - temperature dropped a lot (3C right now) it's wet and all the leaves are finally falling off the what-was-once greenery.

I hadn't been seriously considering upgrading this first season, just maintaining an interest and seeing what's available and what others are doing. I'm a lightweight though around 70Kg wet, and on some of the rougher roads round here the bike is a bit stiff for me sometimes. Age and comfort - I know where you are coming from!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nice review! I had been looking into the WP Apex Pro for my 790 as a future upgrade but may hold off now that the 890 is on the horizon. I upgraded my MT07 with fully adjustable Ohlins cartridges and a remote reservoir Penske rear shock and the difference is amazing but that bike started off way worse stock than the 790.

Concerning the maintenance, I figure the forks would be easy enough to change the oil. I think I saw all the specs (oil weight and brand, air gap, etc) in the service manual somewhere. Not sure if the shock is serviceable or not though. I generally change suspension oil around every 8000 miles.

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because of the pressurized nitrogen, the shock is not user-serviceable. It'd have to go to a suspension center.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great write up on the WP suspension Evans!
From the first day I bought the 790 my intention was to build my own R and the best upgrade is suspension. I was debating on the WP versus the Ohlins and I decided on the Ohlins. I'm 45 minutes from Kyle Racing so it made sense to go with the Ohlins because of the superior customer service Mike provides at Kyle a Racing. I brought Mike the forks and he installed the cartridges for me and I did the rest. The Ohlins upgrade is the best mod I've done to the bike.

I've also added a Coober ECU, Akrapovič muffler, SBS brake pads, and recently a Matris steering Damper and Fly Screen. The Ohlins upgrade made a huge diffrence in the handling of the Duke. My buddy has a stock 790 Duke and when we switch bikes you immediately notice how much more composed and planted my bike is over the stock one. We ride some really tight bumpy roads in Northern California, and the Ohlins made a huge diffrence over stock, when the pavement is smooth the bike works phenomenal. Obviously I did some tuning with the clickers and preload to get a good all around feel for the variety of rodes we ride, however right of the box the Ohlins is great stuff.

I did ride the 790 at Laguna Seca in the A group for a few laps and it felt great, but a black flag shortened the session right when I was getting up to speed. I had my 2016 Yamaha R1 with me, and a track like Laguna likes horse power so I only rode the 790 that one session. I don't think you can go wrong with either the WP or Ohlins, I based my decision on the support I recieved from Kyle Racing and wanted to support my local shop, and of course I've always loved Ohlins stuff! I may need to add the PP wave rotors next based on Evans review!

·
A d m i n .
151,138 Posts
I'm 45 minutes from Kyle Racing so it made sense to go with the Ohlins because of the superior customer service Mike provides at Kyle a Racing. I brought Mike the forks and he installed the cartridges for me and I did the rest. The Ohlins upgrade is the best mod I've done to the bike.
I wonder if that's the same Mike from the CBR forum. He goes by LDH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts