KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told yesterday From another duke owner that changing the exhaust would void the warranty idk how true this is but can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
196 Posts
They could deny any warranty claim where the damage could be attributed in some way to the exhaust.... otherwise not really. Check into the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act with regards to aftermarket parts.

None of my local dealers are too fussy about upgrades and warranties.

·
Registered
180 Posts
All true replies so far.

I used to be the exclusive distributor for LeoVince and then Arrow Exhaust in N. America. There are usually aftermarket options supported by the manufacturers. For example, Arrow makes 90% of the OEM pipes for Triumph so they're pretty good off the show room floor - the aftermarket Arrows offer better performance by getting rid of emissions equipment, not improving exhaust flow/back-pressure/resonance. If you go slip-on, the sky is the limit, go with whoever you like. If you want a full system (which will need a tune) the 790/890 has a PP offering from Akrapovic as well as a full map... it's very pricey, however. So you'd need to weigh your value of your guaranteed warranty against the cost of the exhaust.

The single biggest risk you run with an exhaust is engine damage from not having your fueling re-mapped. Without a tune your motor WILL run lean, which means hot... depending on the dealer and the local KTM rep, that could be an easy way to deny warranty work. They would, however, have to show that the failure was due to the modifications in order to comply with Magnuson–Moss... but heat is usually the killer (in one form or another) of all mechanical failure in a motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All true replies so far.

I used to be the exclusive distributor for LeoVince and then Arrow Exhaust in N. America. There are usually aftermarket options supported by the manufacturers. For example, Arrow makes 90% of the OEM pipes for Triumph so they're pretty good off the show room floor - the aftermarket Arrows offer better performance by getting rid of emissions equipment, not improving exhaust flow/back-pressure/resonance. If you go slip-on, the sky is the limit, go with whoever you like. If you want a full system (which will need a tune) the 790/890 has a PP offering from Akrapovic as well as a full map... it's very pricey, however. So you'd need to weigh your value of your guaranteed warranty against the cost of the exhaust.

The single biggest risk you run with an exhaust is engine damage from not having your fueling re-mapped. Without a tune your motor WILL run lean, which means hot... depending on the dealer and the local KTM rep, that could be an easy way to deny warranty work. They would, however, have to show that the failure was due to the modifications in order to comply with Magnuson–Moss... but heat is usually the killer (in one form or another) of all mechanical failure in a motor.
Thank you for the info.i do want a full system started saving for the austin racing rs22 but just wanted to make sure planing on getting a pcv for it i dont really like how the akra look and sound i think it kinda kills the look of the bike with that big canister

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stick with a slip on during the warranty period and you'll be safer
Yea i want to go full system but was looking at Slipons and really like how the ixrace mk2 sound with the cat on i can imagine how it would sound with out the cat thinking if i go the slip on way i will get that with a decat pipe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yea i want to go full system but was looking at Slipons and really like how the ixrace mk2 sound with the cat on i can imagine how it would sound with out the cat thinking if i go the slip on way i will get that with a decat pipe.
I got a MIVV slip on with the expectation to get a decat when the warranty expires.

It's relatively quiet so it shouldn't be crazy loud with the cat removed
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts