KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Woodcraft clip-ons installed!

25K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  Noob26 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I finally installed the Woodcraft clip-on kit for the 790 last night. I'll post up the before and after pics first and then some detailed pics of the various steps.

1st picture is the stock bars from the profile view and then from the rear cowl to gauge the height.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Now, to the steps just in case anyone else is considering this installation:

(1) Removing the stock bars and related controls. The most important piece to know in advance is that you don't need to buy new grips. Unlike any other bike I've owned, the 790 has both the clutch and throttle side grips installed on plastic tubes that can easily be removed from the stock bars and installed on new bars/clip-ons.

Here's a pick of the small screw that secures the clutch side tube to the bar. You can also see where you need to peel back the left side grip to expose access to that screw. Once the screw has been loosened you can just slide the left grip and tube right off the bar.

Attachments

#5 ·
(2) On the throttle side, you'll be able to open the clamshell that covers the throttle tube - but you won't be able to split the metal portion on the inside...that will need to be the last thing you finally slide off the stock bars once you've removed everything else, including the top clamp.

Attachments

#6 ·
(3) In the pic above, once you have the stock bar removed you'll be left with the lower half of the stock mount - that will stay. You need to make sure the stock mounts are in the forward most position (note the visible rearward hole showing it's in the forward position).

The Woodcraft top clamp then fits to the lower half of the stock mount.

Attachments

#8 ·
(5) Finish the throttle side - remember you need to slide on the throttle control as it can't easily be separated.

I ordered the race kit, which is installed in the downward position - I believe you can order the non race version and install in the up position...although I don't think it would be that significant a drop from stock, perhaps just a different angle to the bars.

The clutch and brake cables were difficult to move around with the new clearances, but everything does work without any kinking of lines. The only place where I had to be careful with spacing was the front signals.

I've also taken pictures at full lock, good news is no interference with the tank for either side.

Attachments

#13 ·
Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Some of the difficulties with moving the controls around are similar to what i had going with the flatter Renthal bar.

Will be very interested to get riding impressions.

#15 ·
Not as aggressive as I thought they would be, I like the downward slope of the bars, maybe I’ll put them on my mod list. My hands always feel like they should be angled down and back as opposed to the sides when riding. This could be more comfortable for me!

#16 ·
Nice Job man! You should do a write up in the Hot to section and consolidate the post.

I am also curious as to haw it feels since I have a huge wing span and dropping the bars may be a nice solution. Please post up when you have a chance to try it out!

#25 · (Edited)
One thing to note with these clip-ons is that if someone is installing them on a US bike, they might run into clearance/positioning issues between the brake lever/reservoir, clutch lever and front turn singles due to the US indicators being larger. You can see how tight the brake lever/reservoir clearance is on my bike based on my preferred setup. I'm running the race setup with the spacer; so this is less likely an issue the street setup...ie no spacer.

LEDs: I had just recently completed my LED swap-over, so clearance was less of an issue for me. For the record, I'm running 15 Ohm resistors (measure @ 16 Ohm) in parallel with the LED indicators. CANBUS warning only occurs when the brake is depressed while being at a stop light; otherwise no warnings. My guess is 20 Ohm resistors would likely correct this issue. My thinking is the addition current draw from the brake light is causing the voltage to drop out of spec across the 15 Ohm resistors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.