KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’m really enjoying my PowerParts touring screen. I’m 5’9” and long in the body, it doesn’t cause any buffering or noise near my head, but smooths and reduces air on my body.
I happened to score some of the orange vinyl stickers that normally go in the rear subframe by the airbox, and they look at home on the screen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think you can make the bike look uglier just by adding a windscreen. The angular styling makes it about as ugly as it can be.

(I bought one anyway. I have a decent aesthetic sense but I never let it get in the way of rational decisions, such as which vehicle to buy or putting on a windscreen. I think people who let aesthetics rule their lives are just . . . shallow.)

·
Registered
230 Posts
(I bought one anyway. I have a decent aesthetic sense but I never let it get in the way of rational decisions, such as which vehicle to buy or putting on a windscreen. I think people who let aesthetics rule their lives are just . . . shallow.)
Wouldn't that be everyone in the art world?

Anywho, where are you guys finding the Ermax Sport Screen in the US? I was hoping to order "locally" as I've been having issues with internationally purchases since covid

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yesterday I mounted and tested the Powerparts Touring screen, here's my review as a tall guy. If you're also a tall person and are wondering about this windshield, I think you should try it, especially since it's the cheapest option among the popular screens.

Performance
I'm tall (6'3), with a taller upper body, and lanky (185lb). I tested the windshield at speeds of ~140kph and am happy with the results. At 165kph I need to tuck in, but no longer feel like I'm going to get blown off the bike. It takes a lot of wind off the chest while delivering clean air to the helmet. You are not sitting in a bubble of still air, but rather a more consistent and less tiring airflow. At city speeds you still get lots of airflow so you wont overheat in the summer.

I did not experience any noticeable turbulence, and zero buffeting. Using my hand I felt around to assess the airflow and found clean air down to around my collarbone. Mid-chest level I felt a light buffeting. In terms of noise I would say there is a minor increase in wind noise (20%) over no windshield, though without a windshield I found you would either have a very quiet smooth ride, or feel like you're getting blown off the bike depending on which way the wind was blowing. FYI I wear earplugs and an upright oriented helmet (Shoei Qwest). Note I also have bar end mirrors which will also help deliver a cleaner airflow as the mirrors are out of the way

Installation/Quality/Looks
Installation is very easy, I recommend installing the bracket first and then the windshield (opposite of the instructions). The bracket looks to be the same as the PP fly-screen bracket, so you could own both those screens and swap them in 2-3 minutes. Quality feels very good over all. Looks are "OK". You get some light reflecting up from the headlights at night, but not as bad as it seems to be on the Ermax screens.

I'll try it out on a longer ride this weekend and report back if my experience is contrary to what's posted here

·
155 Posts
@aaronszy, Good write up. One thing missing is what saddle you are using, standard or tall.

I'm a bit shorter than you at 6'1" and have the PP touring screen and the tall seat. I get a lot of wind noise around the base of my helmet. I wear a gaiter (doubles as a mask) that fills in the gap to stop that noise. My helmet is a Shoei Hornet X2 and I, too, wear earplugs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@GOTJ that's a very good point. I'm currently on the stock seat. It's really unfortunate that you're experiencing a lot of noise! I will test out the windshield again this weekend and try to see if I can feel at what height the turbulence starts, or if I get it when I duck down.

Have you experienced the same noise on other bikes with the same helmet? I hope you can find a solution that works for you, are you looking to try any other windshields?

·
155 Posts
@aaronszy, a bit of time has lapsed but I have an embarrassing revelation. Below is a picture of my windscreen with an attached wind deflector. I have ridden with it so long that I didn't remember it in my previous posts. So all of my comments comparing our experiences are moot.

On the matter of noise, it may be just the way my helmet fits around my neck. I discovered it one day when I hunched my shoulders and blocked off air to the bottom of my helmet. Almost all of the noise went away. I now ride with a gaiter to accomplish
the same thing.

Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
@aaronszy, a bit of time has lapsed but I have an embarrassing revelation. Below is a picture of my windscreen with an attached wind deflector. I have ridden with it so long that I didn't remember it in my previous posts. So all of my comments comparing our experiences are moot.

On the matter of noise, it may be just the way my helmet fits around my neck. I discovered it one day when I hunched my shoulders and blocked off air to the bottom of my helmet. Almost all of the noise went away. I now ride with a gaiter to accomplish
the same thing.

View attachment 4926
Damn - Wish I'd thought of that!.

Don't get me wrong the Puig angular thingie is great - but - pls - what model of extender doodad is that?

Helmet Gaiter - Odd thing. My lid came with a really flimsy chin wind piece - it fell off. So I slipped an old "Windjammer" I had.
Now I'd not say it makes a HUGE difference but yup - it helps. And a big plus it stops the lining getting dirty when you put your lid down.
The new WINDJAMMER PRO-TOUR . must make a helluva difference.

The old one is getting scruffy - time for a new one methinks.

Maybe both types - another original for summer.

No use with flip front lids obviously.

·
155 Posts
@barbagris, the wind deflector is a cheap knockoff, Clip On Windshield Windscreen Extension Deflector Universal Fit All Motorcycle | eBay

I've used various deflectors on other bikes and usually find a sweet spot of quiet. I tried this one solely on price and it doesn't disappoint.

Regarding the gaiter, it is a generic tubular gaiter, not motorcycle-helmet specific. It has the bulk, when pulled down on my neck, to fill in the gaps I've mentioned. It also doubles as a face mask when off the bike.

·
155 Posts
I have been using the gaiter even with the higher temps. The other day, I decided to ride without it. The noise increase in the helmet was such that I decided the quiet was worth the minor discomfort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've also experimented with a gaiter myself on a past bike and it does indeed help. It's hotter in the summer - you rely much more on your helmet vents. In the winter (especially here in Canada) it's pretty amazing - you can tuck a neck tube into it essentially sealing off your neck entirely.

I've found that there's many variables affecting wind noise and it can be pretty frustrating trying to resolve it. After several weeks of the touring screen I'm just as happy with it, while on other bikes I've had awful experiences even when others didn't. If possible it's worth trying another helmet entirely to see if that helps.

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2009 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Buell XB12Scg, 1993 Yamaha Vmax.
200 Posts
I have just converted a couple of 04 Z1000 screens to fit the 790 Duke Givi mount. One is a standard Z1000 and the other is a Givi touring screen.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
175 Posts

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2009 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Buell XB12Scg, 1993 Yamaha Vmax.
200 Posts
I have only been for a short ride with each to about 150km/h. The tall screen definitely took wind off the chest where with the low screen it was difficult to tell if it was any different from having no screen. No noticeable difference in noise with either. I am 170cm tall.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I searched the thread looking at all the options for wind screens and saw a few I liked, but ultimately chose the "Loster" screen. I bought it off Ebay and I believe its a polish company. I haven't been able to ride with it yet due to all the rain. I feel the bracket and the screen should be more flush than what it is and it distorts the rubber jacket of the screen screws. But over all, I think the look is decent and feels sturdy enough.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I went with the clear Ermax screen, I was thinking about tinting / blacking out the bottom portion but so far I’m really happy how the clear “blends in” went for a test ride there was a decent wind out and felt there was a noticable change, the Screen makes a calm pocket of air about shoulder high, seems to create a smooth flow of air around the rider. And made riding into a head wind at highway speed a lot more comfortable.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts