KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've got a question for those of you who have mounted a PP windscreen. What was your trick for holding the bushings in place? They don't fit snugly in either the bracket or the mounting holes. I have some ideas but don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Someone mentioned it was a 5-minute install but I can't imagine that.
Just put a tad of silicon grease on the bushes and they will hold in place
so you can offer the bracket up and put the bolts in, 5 mins sounds right. :wink:

·
155 Posts
Thanks for the replies. However, there was a long time gap between my post and the replies, soI did it my way. I used a small piece of painters tape to hold the bushings in place. Then an Xacto knife to trim the tape that wasn't covered.

One other thing. The person who wrote the instructions has a diabolical mind. If you follow the instructions and mount the windscreen first, you have extremely limited access to the front mounting hole. There is absolutely NO reason to do that. Just mount the frame and then install the windscreen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got the PP screen mounted: too much buffeting for my taste at >120Km/h.
I'm 178cm almost evenly split between torso and legs.

I had to redo the screen screws after 300Km as many of them went loose.

The screen is very handy to put the numbers on :)

·
Super-Member
668 Posts
I got the PP screen mounted: too much buffeting for my taste at >120Km/h.
I'm 178cm almost evenly split between torso and legs.

I had to redo the screen screws after 300Km as many of them went loose.

The screen is very handy to put the numbers on :)

Yea I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a screen. I am dealing with the wind every day in place of the look of no screen. It's only a matter of time I guess!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yea I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a screen. I am dealing with the wind every day in place of the look of no screen. It's only a matter of time I guess!
Coming from half and full fairing bikes in the last decade I wanted to check the screen.
I knew my mileage may vary.

In the end aside from the couple of track visits in the summer (mostly for the numbers, not for the wind removal) and the winter (riding slower on bad tarmac buffeting is a non-issue and the avoided windchill should help) I see it remaining off most of the time.
I don't think I'll give a try at a different model any time soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What is the name of your tail bag?

Here you go Dave. It's the Ermax Sport screen: https://www.ermax.com/Ktm/790-DUKE/sport_nose_screen_.html?egap=article&ida=7343.

Very easy to fit and at normal open road speeds, it moves the airflow up to the high chest area. Above that speed (like trackdays), it would push it a bit higher, but you're crouching anyway in that case. I'd say it's reasonably effective but I actually bought it just to tidy up the front end of the bike. Also fitted some new levers as the OEM ones look a bit agricultural. Chinese, but very nicely made. Also fitted non-reflective film to the instrument face.

One of my riding partners flew to New Plymouth yesterday to pick up an MT10 SP. Straight round to KSS to have the suspension tuned, then home to Paeroa - a good day! Hope to get out with him this weekend.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Its brand is Motocentric and I bought it through eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOCENTRI...hash=item4b657f6289:m:mVTjrxrQGa1FWG7hfR-aV0g . Cost approximately NZ$60 delivered price ex-Hong Kong.

I didn't have any high expectations at that price when I ordered it, but just wanted something to get me started. However, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the quality and looks like it's made for the KTM rear seat in terms of shape. It also comes with detachable padded straps to convert it to a small backpack. It detaches with the rear seat so it rarely gets removed as a separate unit. It has a rear strap which I just loop round the OEM grab handle for extra security, not that it needs it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Geoff

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its brand is Motocentric and I bought it through eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOCENTRI...hash=item4b657f6289:m:mVTjrxrQGa1FWG7hfR-aV0g . Cost approximately NZ$60 delivered price ex-Hong Kong.

I didn't have any high expectations at that price when I ordered it, but just wanted something to get me started. However, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the quality and looks like it's made for the KTM rear seat in terms of shape. It also comes with detachable padded straps to convert it to a small backpack. It detaches with the rear seat so it rarely gets removed as a separate unit. It has a rear strap which I just loop round the OEM grab handle for extra security, not that it needs it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Geoff
Thank you so much! Looks great!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Today I mount the Ermax Sport Screen (32 cm) on my Duke.
I've been very happy with mine - works well at open road speeds. The only downside is that the headlight reflects light onto the inside of the screen at night. It can be quite distracting. I solved it by spraying the inside face matte black and that fixed it. I also put a non-reflective layer on my instrument face.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've been very happy with mine - works well at open road speeds. The only downside is that the headlight reflects light onto the inside of the screen at night. It can be quite distracting. I solved it by spraying the inside face matte black and that fixed it. I also put a non-reflective layer on my instrument face.
Fred, I dug out a couple of photos for interest. One shows the matte finish on the inside of my Ermax screen to reduce night glare. The other thing I did was apply some wide black tape to the top of the white part of the headlight which sits inside the screen. That helped to cut down reflected glare even more. Probably not all that important if you ride mainly in daylight hours. I ride a lot at night in unlit countryside so it was important to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just bought and fitted a really nice screen from P:eek:werBronze who happen to be located in my locality. Nice place to visit and you can see their premises on their website.
I went for the middle size of their three size options and it works a treat. Only doing maximum legal speed 'Officer' and no more caved in chest!
Highly recommend it. Also if you ask nicely they'll make it in any available color.. mine is white and looks really smart))

https://www.powerbronze.co.uk/ktm-790-duke-18-19-260-mm-430-u238a.html

·
Super-Member
668 Posts
Well, I put my money where my mouth is :smile:

Masked the edges of the Ermax sport screen and also masked the fixing holes to prevent blow-through. I then sprayed the shiny rear face of the screen with matte black enamel paint. I also attached some adhesive tape to the white part of the headlight to stop reflection onto the inner face of the screen. This latter mod may not be necessary and might remove it later. I haven't been out for a night run yet but tried it in the garage with the lights out and it's worked perfectly - no glare from the inner face of the screen now.

On the hour-long ride I did in complete darkness before doing this mod, the glare wasn't particularly dangerous, but it was distracting. I've done 5 Iron Butt 1600 km (1000 miles) in under 24 hour organised endurance rides on previous bikes. If I do one on the 790, I certainly couldn't put up with the original glare for 11 or 12 hours in complete darkness - it would drive you nuts.
So i am debating doing this prior to installing it so I don’t need to remove it and do it later. Dawned on me that you have a black screen, and I have a smoked screen. I believe that if I matte black the back, the front will come out black as well. I may have to fit it and see first.

·
155 Posts
Fred, I dug out a couple of photos for interest. One shows the matte finish on the inside of my Ermax screen to reduce night glare. The other thing I did was apply some wide black tape to the top of the white part of the headlight which sits inside the screen. That helped to cut down reflected glare even more. Probably not all that important if you ride mainly in daylight hours. I ride a lot at night in unlit countryside so it was important to me.
Geoff, what is the source of the tape you used? It's much wider than what I have on hand or what I've seen. If you hadn't called it tape, I'd have guessed it was was from a sheet of something.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Geoff, what is the source of the tape you used? It's much wider than what I have on hand or what I've seen. If you hadn't called it tape, I'd have guessed it was was from a sheet of something.
GOTJ, it's Norton Bear Brand 50mm insulating tape - had it for years but it's still available. The adhesive back seems stickier than the normal 25mm tape I buy and it's a bit less stretchy. Really good stuff. As it's made in Massachusetts, you should be able to lay your hands on some easily. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I experienced some front wheel wobbling at higher speeds (85mph+) since I put the KTM power parts windscreen on. I wouldn't call it head shake, exactly. I've felt that, and this wasn't it. Anyone else notice a front-end wobble from the air deflection with these larger screens? Kind of defeats the purpose. I got it because going over 60mph was too much wind on longer rides, but now going over 80-85mph feels unsafe.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I experienced some front wheel wobbling at higher speeds (85mph+) since I put the KTM power parts windscreen on. I wouldn't call it head shake, exactly. I've felt that, and this wasn't it. Anyone else notice a front-end wobble from the air deflection with these larger screens? Kind of defeats the purpose. I got it because going over 60mph was too much wind on longer rides, but now going over 80-85mph feels unsafe.
See post: https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/...-accessories/1588-review-puig-bat-screen.html

I didn't have any problem with wobble... and the Puig Batscreen is as big as they get. It was the wind noise that made me send it back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I was in the dealers I picked up a power parts touring screen to give it a go the screen looks ok but does not give as much protection as the ermax. looking at my jacket after a ride with the pp screen the bugs are deflected just below my ** and with the ermax just above my **

I hope you all like my honest review.
I’ve very recently purchased the 790 and after doing 700 miles in a couple of weekends I’m desperate to fit a screen but very little info and reviews to go off... until that is I’ve read this thread!

cheers!

141 - 160 of 186 Posts