KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well on mandatory lock down here in Wisconsin, but I did a few wheelies on my TTR 230 in the backyard yesterday... think I'm going to build a track in the lawn to ride this afternoon.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well on mandatory lock down here in Wisconsin, but I did a few wheelies on my TTR 230 in the backyard yesterday... think I'm going to build a track in the lawn to ride this afternoon.
How big a lot do you have? I thought about doing the same but I'm afraid we'd be limited to my son's PW50 (which I *will* ride BTW).

·
Registered
20 Posts
How big a lot do you have? I thought about doing the same but I'm afraid we'd be limited to my son's PW50 (which I *will* ride BTW).
Just under 2 acres... but everyone in the area has the same or more, and we have awesome neighbors. I have set up tracks the last few years, I can usually get a .25 to .3 mile track setup. A PW50... that would be a blast, I like riding my daughters 125 more than my 230 but she has complained at how many times I have bent her bars crashing it... so I usually stick to my bike these days.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's the way to travel on long flight hey?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Message to all fellow riders:

I'm not here to judge or give a lesson, just a perspective.

In current time, lockdown has been enforced or advised globally, for a reason.
While I would love to ride, I also know that any unfortunate event can cause any of us to meet the tarmac or the dirt (if we enjoy our backyard) and require medical support. Nature of our passion (or maybe I'm just a bad rider :) ).

This is the reason I did not ride for last 10 days, despite lockdown being enforced only since 5 days ago.

Hope no one will misunderstand the intent.
Stay safe buddies

·
a d m i n .
151,148 Posts
Staying inside is the better move, unless you are able to get out, and go riding. (grin).

That be said, rode a strong 100 miles today wt a bud, strictly twisty back roads, great day in the 60’ F.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Also - as a mate of mine in the UK pointed out - if you're out riding in remote twisty roads - could be a while before anybody finds your naked body.

I live and work in a remote-ish area. Scary right now - could be hours before anybody passes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stay safe buddies
I truly appreciate this position, it is something that I have been struggling with for a few weeks now. For me personally, I have made the decision not to do the following...

1. Go to a store for food more than once every 1.5 weeks.
1a. Enter a store, we purchase for curbside pickup
1b. Only one person in the family goes to pickup the food
2. Buy anything other than food, anything I buy is something people have to pack, ship, stock, checkout, etc. By not buying anything online or in a store I help prevent others from having to be face to face
3. Travel outside of what is required to get food.

My family have been doing this for 2 weeks now, despite lockdown only being 5 days for Wisconsin. We are all healthy, and not personally concerned about the virus but are concerned about our community. While I understand the possible strain on a hospital, the likelihood of me getting injured enough to go to the hospital is much less risk to the community than me adding another shopping trip or buying something online. I am focusing on the thing that are impacting others, not the 1 in 1000 chance that a 15mph crash on grass, in gear could put me in a hospital. If you review the CDC guidelines, it is important to get outside and exercise, which riding a dirtbike is.

I do appreciate your perspective on this... I thought long and hard before I though about riding in the backyard for the same reasons, but decided as I have plenty of fuel and no need to interact with others... it is just my outdoor exercise while maintaining social distance.

Stay Safe,
Steve

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Message to all fellow riders:
Yep, a totally responsible thing to do. "Casual" riding and driving in NZ is banned anyway - only essential trips such as to the supermarket, pharmacy etc. Because I picked my wife up from the airport after a UK trip last Monday, I'm in isolation with her on our property. We have another week to go before we can go out for a local walk or cycle, following the protocols in place.

Tomorrow, our supermarket is delivering our first on-line order since the lockdown. They also have protocols in place so there's no contact or chance of transfer.

The weather is perfect for riding but in all honesty, I'm finding the confinement quite useful for attacking all the minor tasks that I've put off for months. We also grow semi-tropical bromeliad plants in our garden and they desperately need thinning out so that's tomorrow's task!

Be safe everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yep, a totally responsible thing to do. "Casual" riding and driving in NZ is banned anyway - only essential trips such as to the supermarket, pharmacy etc. Because I picked my wife up from the airport after a UK trip last Monday, I'm in isolation with her on our property. We have another week to go before we can go out for a local walk or cycle, following the protocols in place.

Tomorrow, our supermarket is delivering our first on-line order since the lockdown. They also have protocols in place so there's no contact or chance of transfer.

The weather is perfect for riding but in all honesty, I'm finding the confinement quite useful for attacking all the minor tasks that I've put off for months. We also grow semi-tropical bromeliad plants in our garden and they desperately need thinning out so that's tomorrow's task!

Be safe everyone!
My missus has not been out since March 13th.
I have been out twice since then (due to work) and have a travel permit to do so. When stopped (and they most certainly are stopping folk) I have to press the paper against the glass. The police prefer it to you opening the window - despite them wearing masks/gloves. And it means I can sit in the car unmasked too.

We are - like you - limited to essential trips. Sadly though our local supermarket is small and cannot cope with home deliveries. So Monday one of us will have to go - they will not allow couples in.

However the Frozen-Foods guy is continuing his schedule - freezers are full.

Pretty sure my diet is actually improving as we've no junk food lying about.

I'm off out to "strim" some weeds. I can normally find any excuse not to garden.

The major downer is that I would usually be planning a Spring run to the UK about now. But there is no sure chance of the ferries running again by then.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
551 Posts
A buddy bought new rotors for his Vstrom and drilled the caliper bolts for safety wire cause, well, he's "thorough" LOL so I dropped off my safety wire pliers to his house today - touchless transaction, plopped em in his mailbox.

Decided to take a putt through downtown and boy was that ever surreal. Empty streets that are usually shoulder to shoulder with locals and tourists. Cafes closed, restaurant patio's empty, office buildings blacked out... Sundays are usually hopping downtown this time of year.

Attachments

·
a d m i n .
151,148 Posts
Took a short 25 mile jaunt around local roads, in between rain showers... think I'll try to set the sag today.
Nice! Raining by me also, not a warm rain, so working with chef Ramsey via Masterclass's :smile_big:

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
A buddy bought new rotors for his Vstrom and drilled the caliper bolts for safety wire cause, well, he's "thorough" LOL so I dropped off my safety wire pliers to his house today - touchless transaction, plopped em in his mailbox.

Decided to take a putt through downtown and boy was that ever surreal. Empty streets that are usually shoulder to shoulder with locals and tourists. Cafes closed, restaurant patio's empty, office buildings blacked out... Sundays are usually hopping downtown this time of year.
We loved BC when we were over there. Travelled to Alaska, did the Rocky Mountaineer train ride and visited relatives in Cowichan Bay on the Island. You sure so have some nice roads in the area!

21 - 40 of 78 Posts