KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Was pretty cold here yesterday. Not even close to what others are experiencing, but too cold to enjoy a spirited ride.

Should be able to ride today, though.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Had a quick "post amendments" test run this AM - Went uphill and rode into heavy cloud. So turned back and readjusted some stuff. There will be other opportunities.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Finally !!! I was allowed to drive since Monday but it was either -5 to -10 or rainy or snowing. Today it was freezing point but sunny at least, so heated vest and gloves ON I went for a 120km ride not t 037A0E91-F7B0-4B0C-BB2D-33C038ECC68D_1584917800721.jpg o fast because of cold and really dusty streets on back road through a few small villages up to Champlain lake . Feel good 😀

Attachments

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I was due to have the 790 serviced on Wednesday - a nice 360 km round trip to my dealer for the 11000 km service. That is now right out the window for 2 reasons. Thanks to a magnificent effort by our travel agent, my wife arrived back in NZ from the UK this morning at 0500. Didn't think it was going to happen. Because I picked her up and we live in the same house (funny, that :grin:), I'm now on 14 days of isolation lockdown with her. I can ride my bike but I'm not allowed to fill up because of contact with others. I think taking the boat out fishing is still ok.

The other reason is that about an hour ago, our Prime Minister announced a total lockdown for NZ apart from essential businesses and services. Couldn't get the bike serviced even if I broke the rules (which would be stupid in the extreme).

Just as an aside, my wife travelled back with Qatar Air, London to Doha 8 hours and Doha to Auckland 16.5 hours. We grabbed one of the few available seats remaining - business class Q Suite. What a fantastic setup as you can close a door and isolate yourself. Absolutely fantastic for a long haul when you're in your 70's.

Stay safe everyone!

Geoff

Attachments

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
I was due to have the 790 serviced on Wednesday - a nice 360 km round trip to my dealer for the 11000 km service.
I've ridden the past 3 days but it's back to cold and wet in the forecast locally for the next week or so, plus like you Geoff even though not mandated here yet I'm not too keen on fuel stops and obviously can't stop for a coffee/BS session with friends which I normally do on rides.

11K Service - is this your first since the 1k service? I ask because I've been debating letting it go that long - seem excessively far for oil changes.

Glad to hear your wife made it back okay and hopefully you both are well stocked up at home and make it through the 14 days without fear of divorce. LOL...

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I've ridden the past 3 days but it's back to cold and wet in the forecast locally for the next week or so, plus like you Geoff even though not mandated here yet I'm not too keen on fuel stops and obviously can't stop for a coffee/BS session with friends which I normally do on rides.

11K Service - is this your first since the 1k service? I ask because I've been debating letting it go that long - seem excessively far for oil changes.

Glad to hear your wife made it back okay and hopefully you both are well stocked up at home and make it through the 14 days without fear of divorce. LOL...
Yep, it's my first service since the 1k. 11k or 6800 miles with a modern synthetic is fine. That was about the same for my GSX-S 1000 and Street Triple from memory. That's not just uninformed opinion by the way, tribology was part of my brief as head of engineering at a pulp and paper manufacturer before retirement :smile:. Change it more often if you like but it's only adding cost, not reliability unless all your riding is on the track.

Thanks, we're pretty well stocked and even more importantly, have a good supply of craft beer and wine :devil:

Take it easy....

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
Yep, it's my first service since the 1k. 11k or 6800 miles with a modern synthetic is fine. That was about the same for my GSX-S 1000 and Street Triple from memory. That's not just uninformed opinion by the way, tribology was part of my brief as head of engineering at a pulp and paper manufacturer before retirement :smile:. Change it more often if you like but it's only adding cost, not reliability unless all your riding is on the track.

Thanks, we're pretty well stocked and even more importantly, have a good supply of craft beer and wine :devil:

Take it easy....
I think that's part of my problem, I was a track only guy for 8-9 years so got into the habit of an oil change every second weekend (roughly every 400-450kms, filter every second oil change) - old habits die hard I guess.

In times like these I take great comfort in knowing people can be from 1/2 way around the world and yet we still have the same priorities, same creature comforts, and same support of local, artisan products. :grin:

....also - side bar but J D can you please change the title of this thread from road to rode - it's making my eye twitch every time I log in. ;)

·
A d m i n .
151,135 Posts
- side bar but J D can you please change the title of this thread from road to rode - it's making my eye twitch every time I log in. ;)
haha, same. Changed it before I even saw your post.

Didn't ride today, stick welding practice, but been riding everyday/other. Riding tomorrow, praying it stays dry. :smile:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yep, it's my first service since the 1k. 11k or 6800 miles with a modern synthetic is fine. That was about the same for my GSX-S 1000 and Street Triple from memory. That's not just uninformed opinion by the way, tribology was part of my brief as head of engineering at a pulp and paper manufacturer before retirement
. Change it more often if you like but it's only adding cost, not reliability unless all your riding is on the track.

Thanks, we're pretty well stocked and even more importantly, have a good supply of craft beer and wine

Take it easy....
I think that's part of my problem, I was a track only guy for 8-9 years so got into the habit of an oil change every second weekend (roughly every 400-450kms, filter every second oil change) - old habits die hard I guess.

In times like these I take great comfort in knowing people can be from 1/2 way around the world and yet we still have the same priorities, same creature comforts, and same support of local, artisan products.

....also - side bar but J D can you please change the title of this thread from road to rode - it's making my eye twitch every time I log in. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
Geoff first glad your wife could get back home and yes you are right good oil would keep it’s properties up to 20000km, as a mechanic my problem with it is that the oil get dirty and is loaded with very fine particles that act as sand paper in the engine even with a good filter. I just did my first one at 810km while i was putting it back together and before starting my season. The 2 screens and magnets were full of metal crap(because it is a new engine)so I would not feel good letting that there for 10k km. Maybe younglion is a bit over kill at 450 but I intend to do it every 4k or so since it is so easy and quick(with my GSX i had to remove the down pipe every time🤨) and I’ll most likely keep it for a long time. Also keep in mind that it only has 3 liter.

Same here mostly everything is close but grocery, gas station, liquor store🤪, manufacture(like mine) and hospitals for sure, but since I’m not to close from gas when I go I bring quite a few gas cans so I have about 200 liter here. Other then commute to work for now i stay home as well.

Good luck to us all getting through this adventure quickly and safe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm commuting on the 790, seems a shame for it to be stuck away in the garage during this lockdown!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm commuting on the 790, seems a shame for it to be stuck away in the garage during this lockdown!

Agreed! Getting out for a rip today, hoping the roads are drier from last nights downpour..
Lucky you JD it was rain, I’ve received 2-3in of snow last night, everything is white again this morning 😭.
But it’s melting away now. I’ll hopefully be ridding this week

·
A d m i n .
151,135 Posts
Lucky you JD it was rain, I’ve received 2-3in of snow last night, everything is white again this morning 😭.
But it’s melting away now. I’ll hopefully be ridding this week
We’ve been super lucky this winter, virtually no snow, sleet or ice. Plus my few weeks in sunny Costa Rica, no complaints.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yesterday I hade to bring some samples back to the hospital so I’ve used the duke and i finally was able to past that 1000km mark. The tork is plenty of fun work with but being able to use the entire range put a large smile on my face 😃

1 - 20 of 74 Posts