KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the updated valve cover gasket on my 790 this afternoon. Got sick of having to clean up the seepage after every ride.
Took just a hair under 2 hours. Had to remove more parts than I anticipated, but not bad really.

most tedious part is having to unbolt the radiator to get the radiator fan “tongue”out of the way.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just curious, did you approach your dealer about a warranty repair on that first?

·
Banned
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I did not.
It was just much faster and easier to do it myself. As a bonus, the $10 gasket cost less than fuel riding to/from the dealer, haha

·
Registered
198 Posts
IIRC you had another thread about ECU flash & QS with no response from your dealership. Dealer service experiences seem to be all over the place when it comes to the KTM street bikes and their willingness to run down warranty issues.
My local dealers are pretty good about no charge for ECU updates and I've only had one warranty issue for a faulty fuel level sender (on a different bike) resolved w/ no drama.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Thanks for your posr! I've carefully painted sealant where the weep is as a temporary measure. My dealer is 160 km away so having it changed by them is inconvenient as it's only had its 11000 km service a month ago. I'll do it myself after seeing this 👍

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've carefully painted sealant where the weep is as a temporary measure.
Whilst my bike was in for a replacement cam chain tensioner last Saturday, I asked my dealer to paint a little sealant on the recently installed "upgraded" valve cover gasket, which started weeping after two months at the front half-moon. So far, so good! Currently, no weeping. When it comes time to remove the cover for valve clearance adjustment, I'll be sure to have the mechanic apply sealant on the mating surfaces.

·
Banned
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whilst my bike was in for a replacement cam chain tensioner last Saturday, I asked my dealer to paint a little sealant on the recently installed "upgraded" valve cover gasket, which started weeping after two months at the front half-moon. So far, so good! Currently, no weeping. When it comes time to remove the cover for valve clearance adjustment, I'll be sure to have the mechanic apply sealant on the mating surfaces.
I put a light coat of Hondabond on the gasket at the half moon seals on both sides. Especially at the corners. 2500 miles later an dry as a bone.

FYI, hondabond is way better than the standard parts store RTV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts