KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll try to write this as one, long-ass, barely legible, run-on sentence.

Let's see how this goes:

A little story might help put my concerns as well as my potential issue. I'm looking for a new bike, have a few in mind a dealership has and drive 2hr to get there. After a bit of number crunching and checking insurance I pull the trigger on a new 2019 790 duke. As we are filling out title papers a sale guy says "oh hey so we cant give you the today, I dont know either it didn't have one when it shipped or something. But parts will call tomorrow and let you know when it should be in, shouldn't be but a couple days. At this point me and my dad are like humm, we notice they hooked up a battery tender and of course they test to make sure it works. I thought maybe they didn't know it was lithium batter and might have damaged it? Well I'm going through my binder I find 4 star head bolts with loctite and a positive battery terminal cap. Weird. I call ktm customer service and explain my concerns for electronics and wtf is up w the batteries, he said they're backordered and short on stock but they will give me a battery that will work that's not factory at the dealership I went to for now so I can start riding. So ok boom they get bike running now and we drive back. Everything's all good- I start driving home on the freeway not going past 6000rpm, and rolling the throttle forward ece now and then so I get rev range fluxes. Nearly home I go over a small pothole and I notice a ting, or clank sound, ok prob just a rock or something I think. Then I hit a stop light, as I start to accelerate I notice 1st gear at lower rpms seams rough or almost like a slight knock tell maybe 4000,5000 rpm. It's also like going into 2nd also takes significant more force than 3rd or 4th. While looking over the bike I see that the bottom most seal amd the one above it look like that "make ur own gasket paste" where it looks like someone even smudged the edge of it b4 it dryer. The third gasket at the top most of the engine block looks like OEM metal stamped and color matched to the rest of the case.
Can anyone make me feel better because now I'm worried. I should also mention they waved freight and setup then also dropped the price after we had almost bought it for full price. So brand new 9400 price (tax and title costs not include) but yeah super good deal and no one els has/had that price for a new 790.
I'm worried I got a lemon here, it's my first well, legal bike anyways. Anyone have issues like I describe? There's not a ktm dealer or service shop near me either so I dont know if I should just say hey its warranty and keep riding? Take to diff shop? Anyone els think the place and price I got it for is strange? Haha thanks for the help! Sorry for the book :*D

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
I will take a stab JD!

So despite trying to follow the whole story, I took away a few pieces of information. Your concerns are the gasket material creamed all over the front of the block, the "ting" sound you heard, and the rough gear shifting or rpms?

When I first worked my bike in, some of the excess gasket compound heated up to the point of oooze, and it dripped a few times on the garage floor. I think it just matters how much they used upon assembly, so I wouldn't be worried about that, unless of course you notice you have no oil or see a leak.

On to no oil, that is the first thing I would check. Look at the sight glass and verify. Sounds like a possible shady shop maybe didn't put enough in or put to much in. No clue what the "ting" sound was. If you had no oil then you would hear this every stroke of the piston and probably would have seized up on your way back. How hot did the temp get to (# of bars)?

I think different dealerships will offer different deals, and assuming you are in the US and you paid $ for the bike, $1000 less is a bit much IMO considering KTM set the price at $10,499. No clue if they changed that by now. Check your paperwork and see what the itemized charges were as they may have cut off the dealer's additional charges.

You could have gotten a bike that was returned for issues, or just one that's a lemon, but only time and riding will tell. If you have another dealer I would take it there and ask them to check it over and explain the problems you are having.

·
Registered
839 Posts
If you've ridden 30 miles ish (or more) it's not THAT short on oil. KTM 790's run hot - No oil = engine locked solid.

If it were me I'd search (ahem) for a copy of the manual and check everything.

Clank on small pothole. Could be anything.

Stiff gearbox - It's new. ime - a gearbox takes 5000 miles plus to run in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts