KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Race fuel consumption. Is anyone able to tell me fuel consumption under race conditions at a known track? ie. how many liters/lap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just adding my fuel economy here.

I get around 95-110 miles from fill-up (to the bar inside the tank) to the orange final bar on the gas meter. All depends on what mode I'm riding in mostly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was averaging 70mpg (British gallons which is 4.5litres) last year, I am light and I don't rev the crap out of it. It's showing 69mpg now.

·
MotoGP Moderator
1,110 Posts
ECU says ~60 mpg. more like 45-50.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
364 Posts
I ride in Sport mode. Air temp and elevation will make a difference in overall economy. Cold temps and lower elevation means air is more dense resulting in higher mass airflow thru the engine and higher fuel consumption.

Higher temps and elevation means air is less dense resulting in lower mass airflow and lower fuel consumption.

This rule is also very applicable to jet aircraft. This is why jet aircraft are most efficient in the 30,000 to 40,000 foot flight levels.

I usually average around 50 mpg. Not bad for a 105 HP pocket rocket.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Better than my 1st gen Tacoma :D

TBH, unless I'm touring and need to get to the next gas stop X miles away, I'm not really paying too much attention to my MPGs since it's directly related to how you use your throttle.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
364 Posts
I'm riding in sport mode as well. At 288 miles I'm at 42mpg. I also weight 270. Better than the 35mpg I got on the SV650. :)
I'm at around a buck 95 in riding gear.

I'm with ya on the other bike crap mileage. My Aprilia Dorso 750 only got in the upper 30's. Combine that with a small 3.2 gallon tank and no fuel gauge, only an out of gas light on the dash, and it's a milk run...stop at just about every gas station.:(

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Last Fill up it indicated 3.7litres per 100kms - True that seems a wee bit optimistic, but I'm certainly in the region of 4L-ish or just under.
Gives me a consistent tank range of 320kms-ish before the orange segment. Seems to make little difference if I'm having a slow brain day or a looney day. Road use - OK!
Not an issue tbh. Though a bigger tank like the ADV would give me a Madrid-"The coast" capacity - and that would be welcome.

The R3 is easily in the 8.5L/100 with the <ahem> mod's. Some of that is the near total lack of aerodynamics. But it keeps me dry.
It's not JUST riding style - My experience is that even with steady "cruising" - speed vs frontal area is a HUGE contributor. This is basic and known physics.

I've not done any longer trips with the 790 (Thank you COVID) - but ime every bike has a sweet spot. A point to where speed makes little difference - and then it suddenly spikes.
I found it on the R3 with full bags and BIG screen - 150kph - take it over the ton and the economy goes to **** - You can hear the engine start to really pump out grunt. Granny Guzzi starts to grunt a bit at just over 120kph. Never found the spot on the Buell - not found it on the 790 (and I doubt I will).

·
Registered
15 Posts
In places I like to ride I need a 130-mile range. I ride the canyons spiritedly, but not like on a track, so mostly in the engine midrange. I used to make it deep into reserve on my MT-10 (4.5 gallons), which was a little hairy. On a modified SV650 ABS I borrowed the last time, reserve light barely lit a block before the gas station, so zero issues with that bike. The SV has 3.8 gallons, and the 790/890/MT-09SP all have 3.7 gallons. The 790 should make it without drama as well, right? Thx.

Oh, and how much can you 'overfill' the 790, while still leaving some volume for expansion? I'm talking about filling up the tank, and immediately start riding, so it's not a big deal leaving less room, like if you were going to park the bike under the sun in 100+ heat. Just curious. I typically only did that when I needed to push the range, like on those 130-mile stretches.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
364 Posts
In places I like to ride I need a 130-mile range. I ride the canyons spiritedly, but not like on a track, so mostly in the engine midrange. I used to make it deep into reserve on my MT-10 (4.5 gallons), which was a little hairy. On a modified SV650 ABS I borrowed the last time, reserve light barely lit a block before the gas station, so zero issues with that bike. The SV has 3.8 gallons, and the 790/890/MT-09SP all have 3.7 gallons. The 790 should make it without drama as well, right? Thx.

Oh, and how much can you 'overfill' the 790, while still leaving some volume for expansion? I'm talking about filling up the tank, and immediately start riding, so it's not a big deal leaving less room, like if you were going to park the bike under the sun in 100+ heat. Just curious. I typically only did that when I needed to push the range, like on those 130-mile stretches.
I think 150 miles per fill up is a good number for fuel planning. I average 50+ mpg so that should give you just under a gallon in the tank at the buck 50 mark. My Aprilia Dorsoduro was only good for 90 to 100 miles before the low fuel light came on. That sucker made me feel like I was in low fuel emergency mode every time I left the garage. On the 790 I never feel fuel poor any more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Excellent. Thank you. I removed the 790 from consideration, due to a small difference in price. But hope the 890 has a similar range. All I need is about 150-mile range, so I can do 130 miles, without hitting reserve, or just a little bit of it. The problem I see is that's what happened with the SV650, and it not only has a smaller engine, but a slightly bigger gas tank, at 3.8 gallons (vs 3.7). Well, the 890 should be between the 2, I guess. As long as it has better range than the MT-10, which barely made it to 130. Thank you again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Too bad you missed out on the large rebate KTM provided the dealers with on leftover 2020 790s. I paid $8000 OTD for mine. I agree with your choice without the discount. With 169 break-in miles, I've only had one measurable tank. I really liked what the bikes computer told me I was getting for mileage (66+mpg), however, using the traditional way of measuring it worked out to an actual 55 mpg. I'm hoping it gets better with additional miles, although with additional miles will come harder, longer twisting of the throttle which will negate any break-in gains. I'll be happy if the bike maintains 50+ mpg. That would give it a usable range of 150 miles. Mileage be damned, I'll need a break before then.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
364 Posts
Too bad you missed out on the large rebate KTM provided the dealers with on leftover 2020 790s. I paid $8000 OTD for mine. I agree with your choice without the discount. With 169 break-in miles, I've only had one measurable tank. I really liked what the bikes computer told me I was getting for mileage (66+mpg), however, using the traditional way of measuring it worked out to an actual 55 mpg. I'm hoping it gets better with additional miles, although with additional miles will come harder, longer twisting of the throttle which will negate any break-in gains. I'll be happy if the bike maintains 50+ mpg. That would give it a usable range of 150 miles. Mileage be damned, I'll need a break before then.
$8000 OTD...wow you stole it. What dealership did you get it from?

A good friend owns the dealership I got mine from. The rebate was in effect at the time and I paid $9000 OTD which was supposed to be close to his cost???

Sounds like I left some Benjamin's on the table. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
$8000 OTD...wow you stole it. What dealership did you get it from?

A good friend owns the dealership I got mine from. The rebate was in effect at the time and I paid $9000 OTD which was supposed to be close to his cost???

Sounds like I left some Benjamin's on the table. :rolleyes:
Larson's Cycle in Cambridge, MN They are a high volumn, low margin dealer that absorbs the shipping and set-up. At the time I bought it, I was in AZ and a dealer in El Cajon had an online price of $6995. However, he had lots of add-ons that bumped the price up higher than Larson's. Plus, logistically, waiting till I got home to take delivery worked better for me (although, if the OTD price had actually been 6995, I would have bought the bike in El Cajon) Larson's is a long time family dealership with lots of long term employees. I bought the bike over the phone from Mike Larson. When I picked up the bike, he told me it was lucky I called when I did. At the time he had one black and two orange 790s and had several calls from people looking for the black version. He did of course sell the orange ones as well. Too good a deal to pass up! Now, it's just a matter of getting out to ride. Minnesota typifies the April showers, May flowers idiom. The next couple of weeks are going to be cool and wet. My lawn is already turning green and growing. I may have to mow before I can ride again. :mad:

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
364 Posts
The next couple of weeks are going to be cool and wet. My lawn is already turning green and growing. I may have to mow before I can ride again. :mad:
Mowing grass. My daughter in Virginia lives on 3 acres and has been using a walk behind mower for 2 years now. She is shopping for a Zero turn mower so I have been looking at a ton of them for her.

Is your place big enough to need a riding mower? If so what do you have?

Get that lawn mowed and ride that new 790!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mowing grass. My daughter in Virginia lives on 3 acres and has been using a walk behind mower for 2 years now. She is shopping for a Zero turn mower so I have been looking at a ton of them for her.

Is your place big enough to need a riding mower? If so what do you have?

Get that lawn mowed and ride that new 790!
I've been mowing my place with the same John Deere 42" rider for the past 20 yrs. Nothing but good things to say about the mower. I'm worried I might have to mow twice before I ride again. The whole reason behind the rider was to cut the time I spent mowing and It has done a great job. Now, if the weather would just cooperate. We (the wife and I) were hoping to go down to Arkansas in May, but if I don't get the rest of the break-in miles on and the initial service done, probably just stick closer to home.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I typically only did that when I needed to push the range, like on those 130-mile stretches.
You could always just carry a couple of spare 1Litre fuel bottles. It's something I am going to start doing on longer runs. Just in case.
If you run out on known stretches, that's one thing. But the unknown is way less predictable.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts