KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Very odd, I've ran it much lower then 40km range displayed and have never had an issue - and can still only squeeze in 1-2L less than claimed tank capacity.
Strange for sure. After our Rennie runs I can consistently get the 50km warning as I'm pulling into Action, and only put 8.5-9L in. Maybe my sender is funky, or it's been confused with the more casual riding lately. Both bikes are going to get filled shortly, Laura's CBR hasn't had a fresh drink in a few years and it's a bit jerky.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am getting around 20-21 KMPL in the city and 26-30 on the highway depending on how i am riding.

It did show me an abysmal figure like 13-14 on the day i rode it home from the dealership.
Are those figures from the dash, or hand calculated based on fuel used + odo ? The fuel economy reported on the dash is useless.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ignoring my average fuel consumption on the trip, over 2000 miles I've averaged 75 miles from each full tank

·
Registered
64 Posts
75 miles per tank ... :confused: ... was that at race pace?
If I'm mainly commuting I get more like 90 but I have some amazing mostly open roads near me:cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's not right. You should be getting 140-150 at least.

This is my second 790, similar economy on both bikes but I never let the tank get lower than 1 bar remaining either

·
Super-FastGuy
'18 Duke 690
616 Posts
This is my second 790, similar economy on both bikes but I never let the tank get lower than 1 bar remaining either
Okay lets try this then, I think the issue is more your use of "tank" as in FULL tank of 14L, not "fill up" which can be done with 4-6L remaining.

How many liters are you topping up with at each fill up - if you have 1-2 bars showing that's easily 4-5L left so you're only using 65-75% of the available fuel so then you'd be getting 120-130 miles or 200-220km's per tank which although still low, is believable if you are really hard on the go stick.

·
155 Posts
Here's a guess about the 50 to 75 miles reading. It might be the Range reading or miles left to go on the remaining fuel in the tank. YMMV, pun intended.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I found out yesterday that when the range gets to 40km it really means 0m, despite the splashing I could hear in the tank. I pushed it back to my work and added a few liters of questionable gas (I had to ID unmarked jerries of diesel, diesel/gas mix from customer mistakes, rotten gas, maybe gas?).
Maybe something wrong with the tank. Seems like there's two connection points in the gas tank to fuel pump, maybe your reserve connection is damaged ? Sounds like a warranty issue.

So it seems like a common issue, another fella in my city reported this.

And i just discussed this with the KTM mechanic, and what he says is there is no immediate danger or problem, since there are 2 collection points for the fuel pump in the tank, when the fuel is more than 3 litre the top collector is used by the pump, and when its below 3 litre(aka reserve) it pulls from the bottom one.

So i guess not too much worry about, unless this pandemic causes my beloved Scalpel to sit in the garage for over 6 months.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay lets try this then, I think the issue is more your use of "tank" as in FULL tank of 14L, not "fill up" which can be done with 4-6L remaining.

How many liters are you topping up with at each fill up - if you have 1-2 bars showing that's easily 4-5L left so you're only using 65-75% of the available fuel so then you'd be getting 120-130 miles or 200-220km's per tank which although still low, is believable if you are really hard on the go stick.

I put 11.76L this morning, I'll update when I'm on fuel light (orange bar) again

·
Super-FastGuy
'18 Duke 690
616 Posts
I put 11.76L this morning, I'll update when I'm on fuel light (orange bar) again
If you can track the miles/km's and then how much you take to top off once the fuel light is on that would be ideal - then we can see if your bike is a fuel pig or if it's a sipper like the rest of ours! :wink:

Thanks Katie!

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you can track the miles/km's and then how much you take to top off once the fuel light is on that would be ideal - then we can see if your bike is a fuel pig or if it's a sipper like the rest of ours! :wink:

Thanks Katie!
I'll likely have to refuel Thursday evening/Friday morning as I'm using it to commute at the moment, so I'll let you know :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll likely have to refuel Thursday evening/Friday morning as I'm using it to commute at the moment, so I'll let you know :)
84 miles done, 12.44L in :nerd:

21 - 40 of 60 Posts