KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

What would you pay in USD fora "USED" 2020 890r with only 150miles

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Wavshrdr 
#1 ·
What would you pay USD for "USED" 2020 890r with only 150miles, Quickshifter, cruise control OEM, Track Pack, Motor slip regulation ( Rev matching)? Owner with buyers remorse. Private sale--no dealer; clean title. Want to be sure I am offering a fair price to seller.

#12 · (Edited)
No, I can't commit. I have a 2019 790 with 1750 miles and I often fantasize about the 890r even though I should be content with the 790. I don't do track days. The 790 does everything I want but I hate the jerky throttle at low speeds, 1st and 2nd gear. and of course, I wouldn't mind more torque, though I never feels what torque I have isn't enough. But I don't need or want the extras he's paid for on the 890r. I don't us the quickshifter on my 790 and I would not want to it on the 890r (just think not using the clutch will hurt bike in long run), don't want track pack, don't have a need for cruise control. Biggest drawback of all is I would be losing too much $$ getting rid of 790 and purchasing the 890r with tax and registration. Let's say I sold the 790 for $7000 and purchased the 890r for the $11,500USD asking price, plus Texas sales tax of about $750, thus, nearly $6000 dollars for few extra HP, and torque, and features I don't want. But it's attractive because it's a deal compared to what he paid and the mileage, basically a new bike with only 158mile. I went and saw bike but seller is a little peculiar. States he bought bike for himself but changed mind after 4 days. Seems to have more bikes on hand than he can ride from what I saw, so maybe a business man not a "rider". No sure of the circumstances landing bike in his possession. It was just something weird about him, his story, and his decision, logic, and mannerisms. But hey, the bike looked in great condition . I may make a crazy decision and buy it still but hoping I can stay with right mind. If i didn't already have the 790, then I'd be all over this bike despite the peculiar nature of the owner. I won't be hurt if one of you guys beat me to it. It's listed on craigslist, Garland Texas for $11,500, has cruise control, track pack, MSR, 158miles, quickshifter. For some reason, he didn't won't to list on cycletrader when I questioned him why he hadn't done so. Given the issue with some blown engines in 890r due to oil type from manufacturer, I asked when he purchased. He stated 6weeks ago, so any recalls would have been taken care if before he bought it. Tires with big chicken strips so may not have ridden hard but I can't say if he actually respected the rpm restrictions for the miles driven or if any harm done. I already have 4 other bikes and working hard to find riding time, so no room for a 5th bike. Plus it's character is too close to my 790. I have a 2019 speed triple rs- 3 cylinder, 2018 kawasaki 900rs- 4 cylinder, bmw k1600GT- 6 cylinder, and the 2019 790- 2 cylinder L twin. So, I love the different engine characters and switching out. Never bored. No matter how, I can't justify it. Buying the 890r. But I've fallen prey to insanity many times to bikes. For some reason, I don't seem to learn to stop watching youtube videos about bikes, reviews, or perusing cycletrader, and before I know it , I'm test driving a bike I shouldn't be. So, save me guys.

#13 ·
I would think you could do a bit better than 7k for your 790. I have to say all the improvement on the 890 make for a great bike. You can really appreciate the improved power, brakes and suspension. Though like you, I would be less tempted if I were spending 6k difference. In the 4k range it makes a lot more sense. Maybe hit him at 10,700. Save a little on tax. Don't forget you are getting a bike still under warranty.

The cruise control has been handy. The quickshifter is one of the best I've used on a new bike. The tranny shifts better than the old one. FYI - the quickshifter should be easier on the tranny and drivetrain UNLESS you are super smooth on every shift. It cuts all the power and reduces the stress and I don't feel any shock to the drivetrain. It is like a little teleport every time you catch the next gear. It is addictive on the bike and much better than the already very good quickshifters on my 4 cyl BMWs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.