KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Oh yes i just noticed its a twin sided swing arm, jeeeeeeeze its been years since i road on this antiquated system. (ps my 640 SMR was a pain in the ass to refit rear wheel) single sided arms rule.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like just about everything about this bike so far (600 km). Minor issues that I haven't seen mentioned:

1. The chin guard of my Arai blocks the screen, so I have to tilt my head down to check my speed. I hope cruise control becomes an option, for freeway drones when I want to keep my speed a couple clicks below the ticket speed.

2. The quickshifter seems to be a lot more complicated than I expected. It seems to be a two step process. The first gentle push activates the throttle blip / throttle kill, then pushing further causes the gear change. The correct timing of the two to get a smooth shift varies quite a lot depending on throttle setting and RPM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
had my 790 for two weeks now.

love everything about the bike with a few exceptions

turn signal switch sticks out too much and the indicator flashing both left and right makes me think i turned on my hazards

fuel tank is annoying to close

and the ergo seat is still a little uncomfortable

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
The quickshifter seems to be a lot more complicated than I expected. It seems to be a two step process. The first gentle push activates the throttle blip / throttle kill, then pushing further causes the gear change. The correct timing of the two to get a smooth shift varies quite a lot depending on throttle setting and RPM.
Sounds like you just need to be a bit more committed to the change, don’t pussyfoot it just engage it positively, works extremely well I find.

If it’s still giving hassle check with your dealer as it may need adjustment.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sounds like you just need to be a bit more committed to the change, don’t pussyfoot it just engage it positively, works extremely well I find.

If it’s still giving hassle check with your dealer as it may need adjustment.
Absolutely agree. My QS is silky smooth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My only two gripes are one, the funky clutch with about a millimeter of take-up at the top and two, when people walk up and ask me if that's a "790 juke". I'm gonna cut some tape and fill in the back of that bloody D.

·
Super-Member
604 Posts
My only two gripes are one, the funky clutch with about a millimeter of take-up at the top and two, when people walk up and ask me if that's a "790 juke". I'm gonna cut some tape and fill in the back of that bloody D.

LOL. I would just say "yep!"

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quick one so far (only 500km)

Likes: Smooth engine, light weight, quick shifter, easy to ride lower gears in traffic, power delivery, exhaust note, flickability!

Dislike: Mirrors, 14 litre fuel tank (last bike was VFR 21 litres), suspension not as good as hoped on bumpy roads, tyres are ordinary.

I can change the mirrors and tyres easily. Bigger tank and better suspension not so. This bike is so otherwise good that I could be tempted to spend big dollars on suspension upgrade.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I like the lightness and power to weight handling.
I don’t like the brakes, although a immediate change of brake pads did improve them, but they are still lacking.
However I now have changed the brake master cylinder to a Brembo RCS 19 which has changed the braking drastically for the better.
The suspension is not bad but again needs improvement, it built to a price like the brakes. It does struggle with the bumps B roads I ride.
I am looking into upgrading the suspension maybe with some Maxton stuff.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts