KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just as title says.....I am 160lbs and used sport and comfort setting on my bike and it seems ok but kinda shocked how it doesnt feel a lil better maybe......transplant from motocross and used to fiddle with suspension quite a bit for racing.....maybe streetbikes just dont get same level as MX bikes idk....

this is my first streetbike,....

.i bought the R because partly of adjustable suspension among other things........comfort setting seems more plush ( or better) but feels bit loose.....sport tracks and corners better but not suppleness.....havent messed with it further than this but maybe boys in the know have dialed theirs in a bit better and maybe spring rates are wrong for me.....bike is still new 300 miles..

and just street use for now...

thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
The stock springs rates are perfect for your weight. Rebound damping is the most important suspension adjuster to get right. Basically, you don't want the springs to oscillate after a bump. The spring should absorb the bump and return to it's static position without bouncing. Compression damping is more subjective to the riding style of the rider. Some like it set on the soft side with a lot of fork dive, and some like it hard with less fork dive. This is totally up to the riders feeling while riding the bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually funny you said that l left compression alone and went in 2 clicks on rebound and bike settled down a bit.....sure it can better but a good start.....good to know i dont have to change springs and thanks for the tip.....am new so not too sure about street suspension

·
Registered
2020 KTM 890 Duke R, 2020 KTM 690 SMC R
72 Posts
just as title says.....I am 160lbs and used sport and comfort setting on my bike and it seems ok but kinda shocked how it doesnt feel a lil better maybe......transplant from motocross and used to fiddle with suspension quite a bit for racing.....maybe streetbikes just dont get same level as MX bikes idk....

this is my first streetbike,....

.i bought the R because partly of adjustable suspension among other things........comfort setting seems more plush ( or better) but feels bit loose.....sport tracks and corners better but not suppleness.....havent messed with it further than this but maybe boys in the know have dialed theirs in a bit better and maybe spring rates are wrong for me.....bike is still new 300 miles..

and just street use for now...

thanks
Look closely at these spec sheets. They list the target weight in kg. Your weight with gear should put you close.

I run mine about 30% of the travel for sag both front and rear. I know you know this coming from the dirt..... don't go by the "turns in" listed in the book for rear preload settings. Measure it as you would on your mx bikes.

Hioe this helps.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Screenshot

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yeah that helps alot.....thanks a bunch.......so awesome you have valving stacks as well....will print and save

when i bought the bike the first thing (was go for a ride, lol) then i checked the suspensions settings to see if they were in standard position per KTMs manual.....of course they werent

reb on forks was all way in, comp was a few clicks off (stiffer).....shock was close except for high speed comp

reb and preload on shock was only setting that was actually set to std spec

i learned from buying dirt bikes never trust it comes set correctly off dealership floor....after buying many that werent.......easy fix though

ill mess around with it and see if i cant find a good setting......thanks again for specs on suspension

·
Registered
72 Posts
yeah that helps alot.....thanks a bunch.......so awesome you have valving stacks as well....will print and save

when i bought the bike the first thing (was go for a ride, lol) then i checked the suspensions settings to see if they were in standard position per KTMs manual.....of course they werent

reb on forks was all way in, comp was a few clicks off (stiffer).....shock was close except for high speed comp

reb and preload on shock was only setting that was actually set to std spec

i learned from buying dirt bikes never trust it comes set correctly off dealership floor....after buying many that werent.......easy fix though

ill mess around with it and see if i cant find a good setting......thanks again for specs on suspension

I'm happy you found this info useful! I know exactly what you mean. First thing I used to do on dirtbikes is tear them down, re-spring if necessary (I used to be on the light side.....not so much anymore), fresh fork oil (dump whatever toxic waste oil is in the fork) and set the clickers to factory standard. Of course grease the swingarm and linkage (if you know, you know).

This is a super fun bike. I think you'll love it.

Currently, I'm pulling my hair out on my 690 SMC R fork. If I remove preload shims to get the 30% sag I am looking for, the fork has so much sticktion that it hangs low in the travel. If I put the shims back in I am about 25mm off on sag.....the front is a bit stiff and rides too high.....kinda like a chopper. Damn motorcycles.....worse than being married...lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes sir suspension is a fickle thing

funny thing is even in MX riders think send your stuff to a company and they will nail settings on the dot first time without anything other than a piece of paper......while professionals have suspension tuners on payroll and spend weeks to dial in settings......its just not that simple.....if you can get a good baseline with just using clickers to fine tune for different tracks thats best you can hope for......

maybe a cartridge kit that has better fine tuning for preload idk....in MX preload wasnt a huge deal but in street i hear about it alot....makes sense cuz bike is fairly level and stable throughout on pavement while dirt its never stable......messed around a bit and yeah the suspension seems very blah and basic.....i guess the value is in the motor, electronics, and overall just more pieces that make up a street bike......they cost basically the same which had me scratching my head why dirt is so expensive....or maybe i just need to become a better street rider, lol.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
yes sir suspension is a fickle thing

funny thing is even in MX riders think send your stuff to a company and they will nail settings on the dot first time without anything other than a piece of paper......while professionals have suspension tuners on payroll and spend weeks to dial in settings......its just not that simple.....if you can get a good baseline with just using clickers to fine tune for different tracks thats best you can hope for......

maybe a cartridge kit that has better fine tuning for preload idk....in MX preload wasnt a huge deal but in street i hear about it alot....makes sense cuz bike is fairly level and stable throughout on pavement while dirt its never stable......messed around a bit and yeah the suspension seems very blah and basic.....i guess the value is in the motor, electronics, and overall just more pieces that make up a street bike......they cost basically the same which had me scratching my head why dirt is so expensive....or maybe i just need to become a better street rider, lol.....
I finally nailed it....and it is working well. Just so much stiction in the fork. Only 2k miles on it. Hoping the fork breaks in a bit still. I'm too old and too cheap to send both of my street machines boingers off.

Yeah, I tried to get fork preload close on the dirt but, not like this.

It is mind blowing how expensive dirt equipment has become. $10k spent on something you are almost certain to bounce on the dirt at least a few times....lol I think these street machines are a good bargain comparatively.

Coming from the dirt, your street skills will be fine. Just takes a little adjusting. I still find myself doing dirt things on my street bikes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we used to coat the forks with DLC or TIN and use seals from a company called SFF or SFK i forget....there was a company in north carolina that did my coatings (years 2005-2010) but sure they are plenty around by now (am sure its popular in street as well or would think so)..... stiction is the enemy so anything that can eliminate the friction is a positive...

.good you have yours working well!

and yeah i find myself wanting to stick my leg out on slow turns, but its surprisingly easy to ride a streetbike, almost like i feel like i should be doing something with my body more than i really have too.....riding dirt is so much more "busy" so just have to learn to be more quiet and smooth......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes...SKF seals are the gold standard! Good stuff. TiNitride coating would be ideal but, I am just cheap enough not to do that. I agree, it would really help though.

Dude! I totally get the not being "busy" on a street bike thing. I totally feel like I'm just along for the ride compared to dirt. Now, that said...I also have that '20 SMC R that scratches my dirt itch on the street. And you bet I throw a leg out when I'm flogging it in turns (in my mind, I'm giving it hell looking like Jeff Ward back in his sumo days....In reality, I probably look more like Kermit the Frog on a bicycle).

·
Registered
74 Posts
The stock R suspension is pretty damn good for a stock bike in this price range. Let it loosen up a bit with some mileage, and it should feel a little better. Work your way thru the settings and get a good feel for the range of adjustment available.

·
Registered
64 Posts
does anybody find that it's very stiff even when set to comfort? Like it's quite hard when you hit a pothole etc. BW with kit ~215lbs, I tried increasing/decreasing preload but doesn't seem to make it much softer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does anybody find that it's very stiff even when set to comfort? Like it's quite hard when you hit a pothole etc. BW with kit ~215lbs, I tried increasing/decreasing preload but doesn't seem to make it much softer
to me bikes suspension feels pretty avg at best tbh......i am coming from dirt bike world though, am thoroughly disappointed in suspension and bought the R for adjustable suspension partly......i just expected better i guess being used to different type of riding but i guess street is whole different world.....less travel, smaller componets, and really just feels like less dampening overall......tried sport, comfort and in between.....am perfect target weight for stock setup

tires have far less sidewall and really its whole different world......handles fine on smooth asphalt just harsh on every little hit and bike feels loose on so cal freeways.....like steering stem is loose or rear axle isnt tightened but checked both and they are fine....whole bike wanders at high speed.....but in smooth aspahlt corner sticks like glue and holds its line really well @ 30 or 90 mph.......you guys have lot more experience and ridden far more street bikes than i have so......just dont think this bike likes to go straight is feeling i get

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i do know sometimes when suspension feels stiff its actually too soft......you being heavier you could be riding in harsher part of the stroke making it feel stiff although its too soft......this is very common in suspension

increase compression 3 or 4 clicks and see how it feels...if its better you know your on right track....if its worse go other way......see what feels better.....same stretch of pavement on same day.....adjust from there

can also try rebound as well......1 or 2 clicks as seperate test......gets consusing if you adjust both at same time.....

comfort setting is basically softer (comp) and faster (reb)........if you set compression and it feels better than try reb in small doses and see if its better........rebound does effect compression as well....usually on low speed side only

lots of trial and error

·
Registered
72 Posts
i do know sometimes when suspension feels stiff its actually too soft......you being heavier you could be riding in harsher part of the stroke making it feel stiff although its too soft......this is very common in suspension

increase compression 3 or 4 clicks and see how it feels...if its better you know your on right track....if its worse go other way......see what feels better.....same stretch of pavement on same day.....adjust from there

can also try rebound as well......1 or 2 clicks as seperate test......gets consusing if you adjust both at same time.....

comfort setting is basically softer (comp) and faster (reb)........if you set compression and it feels better than try reb in small doses and see if its better........rebound does effect compression as well....usually on low speed side only

lots of trial and error
You mention that RBD affects low speed Comp.... Hell yes it does. You are one of the few that have mentioned this on forums that I have frequented. Kudos to you for this solid advice. I'm impressed.

·
Registered
64 Posts

lots of trial and error
Thanks for the info, what I've done I increased (3 right clicks) the low speed compression, I assume you meant low speed as high speed the manual says to leave it at 1.5 turns, although, maybe that's more relevant to bumps and potholes? Also not sure if I should increase preload seen my higher weight,

thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts