KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m probably in the minority here but I don’t find the brakes all that bad. Brakes can always be better but you ride accordingly and there fine. Single biggest upgrade for me has to be the tires. Scrapped those maxxis and throw on some decent rubber and it really transformed the bike for me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I used the pads and the tyres on track without any issues myself. I rode a mates who had Bendix M7RR pads in and his felt sharper i admit, but mine were far from terrible as standard. Tyres, the Maxxis were perfectly good enough for plenty of knee down action

2019-07-10_12-46-45 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
See, this is what I'm talking about. The OEM tires would do fine at a track day (y) Yeah maybe not ideal, but acceptable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
#2. Tires - pulled off OEM Maxxis right at the dealer for Dunlop Q3+ (test rode a bike with Maxxis tires previously)
I had about 30 miles on my Maxxis... took them off and put on Q3s. the Maxxis are sitting in a corner, they will go on the next bike I sell. Its a nice selling feature to sell a bike with brand new tires, and that way I get to ride on what I want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've now put 2.400 miles on my 790 Duke, almost all of them on mountain roads in Western North Carolina. Other than a full set of protection (radiator, frame, water pump, etc.) I have kept it pretty stock. I did add the heated grips and PP levers, both have been very nice. Now I am ready to move on:

-Tires: I have not found the Maxxis to be bad, but not great either. I'm looking forward to either S22's or Diablo Rosso Corsa II's. They need to be good in the cold and wet, because you will not avoid that in the mountains.
-Suspension: as soon as the virus calms down I am going to install Ohlins front and rear. The stock setup is not bad on smooth roads, but hitting bumps in the middle of the corner is definitely a pucker up moment.
-I just got a set of the EBC HH pads, but I think a new Brembo MC would also make a big difference. The release on the stock MC is not as sensitive for trail braking as I would like, especially when compared to the Brembo MC on my Ducati.

Things Im going to keep:
-The exhaust. I like the banana shape of the thing. When riding on these mountain roads I want to be as inconspicuous as possible. I don't want them to know how fast I am going ;)
-The tail tidy. Yes, I actually like it. I even added the little fender piece. I got tired of coming home with dirt tracked all up my back.

All in all a great stock bike, but I think we can make it better....how about the cruise control from the 890D?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The pads are a good part of it for sure, but a more potent master cylinder really makes a huge difference for spirited riding.
More potent; are we talking smaller/larger bore here?

I found the tyres and brake pads were fine last weekend, going pretty quick, but Im getting a sh#$ load of brake dust, so they will be getting changed at the 1000km mark along with the tyres.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
If I was really hard pressed to only pick one... I'd say the brake pads.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts