KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really like the OE exhaust, although I generally changed my exhaust on almost all my bikes in the past.

Each time I hear a slip-on, I feel it is getting more high pitch, either some at idle, sometime as soon as accelerating at 4000RPMs+.

So opposite of what I would be looking at in terms of sound quality.
Maybe I've been listening to the wrong ones?

The best sounding exhaust Ive heard on Youtube is probably the stock pipe with the cat delete pipe, but then you'd need a tune for sure.

Im thinking GPR slip on, something nice and low so it wont melt the indicators after a tail tidy is installed:nerd:

·
Registered
28 Posts
https://wings-exhausts.com/exhausts-eu/ktm-eu/790-duke-eu/#show - NOTE NOW € APPROVED.

They did (may still do) offer a price deal if you wanted a COOBER box as well. it was substantially cheaper.

If you write they will do one-offs.

I asked for Matte Carbon - no sticker - spark arrestor dB killer (for MoT) :wink:

With the dB killer in it is no louder than the OEM - maybe even slightly less. Open - It booms nicely. So much so it was making my helmet boom and I put it back in - oddly a new fairing solved that so it's out again.
**** yeah! Looks like the Akra, just smaller.
And it's EU approved. Jesus, going to order one.

Gonna contact them. :)
I don't care much about how loud it is, but does it still do the "crackling" when downshifting / rolling?
That's why I never changed the OEM one.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. ;)

EDIT: Could you theoretically leave the carbon heat-protection part away?

·
Registered
845 Posts
**** yeah! Looks like the Akra, just smaller.
And it's EU approved. Jesus, going to order one.

Gonna contact them. :)
I don't care much about how loud it is, but does it still do the "crackling" when downshifting / rolling?
That's why I never changed the OEM one.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. ;)

EDIT: Could you theoretically leave the carbon heat-protection part away?
Oh yes - it still does the burbling/crackling thing. Esp with dB killer out. :grin:

Could you leave the heatshield off - I guess so - but it screws into captive nuts inserted into the silencer skin itself. So that might look a bit odd. The owner of WINGS is open to doing mod's so I guess if you wanted it without heat shield he'd do it. :wink:

I've spent the morning fabricating an alloy tail-piece - without the dB killer it looks a bit inviting to idiots, to drop something in. Photos when it's finished.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Why did you go for the PCV? I have one on my GSXR but there are so many options of the 790 what made the PC be the one for you?[/QUOTE
I’ve tried different options in the past and usually come back to the pcv, woolwich flash fried the ecu on my fireblade and I had an aftermarket ecu put on my mv Agusta which was poor to say the least.
The pcv has given the 790 loads more mid range and drivability it’s difficult to say how much better it is without actually letting people try it to see for themselves.
There’s a few other options and each to their own but I’d like to see a few on the same dyno same day as there’s so much bull being put out there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I’ve tried different options in the past and usually come back to the pcv, woolwich flash fried the ecu on my fireblade and I had an aftermarket ecu put on my mv Agusta which was poor to say the least.
The pcv has given the 790 loads more mid range and drivability it’s difficult to say how much better it is without actually letting people try it to see for themselves.
There’s a few other options and each to their own but I’d like to see a few on the same dyno same day as there’s so much bull being put out there.
PC5 made my bike sooo much more rideable and smooth. Can finally use all the power modes without the jerkiness. Favorite mod so far.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The best sounding exhaust Ive heard on Youtube is probably the stock pipe with the cat delete pipe, but then you'd need a tune for sure.
Ive tried this and the bike sounded great (better than the IXIL) but it did not run very well, with revs surging at idle on cold start up. Ive reverted back to the IXIL with differing versions of baffles to make it sound right. The mesh on the exhaust exit while looking cool, makes a reverberating sound, and fortune have it at a track day while full noise down the straight the baffle blew out the muffler through the mesh, so i fitted a backward facing baffle,so now theres a smaller exit hole, some back pressure with a more deeper growl.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've spent the morning fabricating an alloy tail-piece - without the dB killer it looks a bit inviting to idiots, to drop something in. Photos when it's finished.
Here we go. Not my best work, but I can't get any material at the mo'.
It's made with an old FAC shock and some 2" ali tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
The single best change so far has been adding preload to the rear shock.
Im over 90 kilo, but I think even lightweights would benefit feom the geometry change. Its more about what it does to the front end than the rear.

I think most of the front end moments on the Maxxis tyres would be attributed to the front end raking itself out mid corner (just my. 2c)

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
1. Front pad upgrade to HH -- by far the most bang/$. Really changes the bike's braking feel.
2. Front m/c upgrade to a used Brembo RCS 19 off eBay.
3. Suspension upgrade -- Andreani fork cartridges and Nitron R3 rear shock -- amazing improvement in both ride and handling, but $$$.
4. +20mm seat AND wider/flatter fatbars -- together, change the riding position and puts you much more forward. Very Nice. I Like.
5. Tires -- pending -- Bridgstone S22. purchased but not yest installed. Will report back... Stay tuned.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This bike is just itching to be an R

Fav upgrade hands down pcv and map

But gotta say all of these were good upgrades

Ohlins front and rear
Brembo calipers/mc with new lines
SC project pipe / de cat
PP reasets gp shift
Evotech Tidy Tail and radiator gaurd
R&G signals and frame/spool/engine protection
PP bar mirrors
PP case savers and Triple Trees
Powder coated sub-frame

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
IMO it's an awesome bang for buck product...

The biggest changes are straight rate springs and of course the 3-way adjustability.
Agreed. Very nice upgrade and high bang/$$ ratio.

·
Registered
42 Posts
#1. Lowering Kit - Although I reached the ground, I feel much more connected to the bike this way.
#2. Top case carrier - It is my daily commute bike (Not so much these days ;))
#3. Tires - I didn't like the original that much, esspcialy in the rain.
#4. Heated Grips - Always wanted these, but never knew how much I will enjoy them.
#5. Fuel tank grip stikers - A little bit more connected to the bike.
#6. Splash protector extender - My boots are a little bit cleaner.
#7. Windscreen
#8. Side panniers
#9. USB charger - I don't use that much the phone for navigating and when I do I keep forgetting the cable.
#10. Bike Protection - hope this will stay last.
What panniers did you mount? How do you like them? Do you have them on all the time?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ha Ha, that was my first response also, Holy **** these brakes now bite hard, and a little disconcerting. But after a few rides it becomes the new norm, and your right hand learns to adjust. Great improvement eh.

·
A d m i n .
151,140 Posts
OMG! The EBC HH pads made a huge difference in breaking! I’m kinda nervous using it because the initial bite is so strong and responsive!
hahaha, was mine also, a long time ago. It’s a pointer finger ordeal, from here on out.

One finger to rule them all..

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think KTM was dumb not to put better pads on the 790 Duke. It wouldn't have cost much more, and journalists wouldn't have mentioned it. As we all remembered, there were only two complaints about the 790 Duke. The first was the non-adjustable forks, and the second was the brake feel. KTM could have eliminated half of the complaints if they had chosen to use the premium front brake pads.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts