KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
The OEM tires are great, nothing wrong with them. Have done ~2500 miles on them without an issue riding in mostly cold damp conditions.
I already ordered some BT 16 pro Bridgestones, but I sort of wanna give the Maxxis a go, mainly because I know I wont get anything for 'em, being a OEM Taiwanese tyre (not doubting the Maxxis competition tyres here)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ultimately, the single biggest improvement for me was seat time and on-road guidance from YoungLion. Coming off a derpy dual-sport and a low side in a rush hour intersection, I needed help. You don't seem to have a problem in that department so you're set.

As far as throwing parts at a bike it's all helped bit by bit, but nothing's been eye-opening like when I put a pumper carb or suspension on the DR650 (especially that pumper, wow).
#1 - Tires I could trust, Michelin Power RS
#2 - PP heated grips keep my hands from locking up on early morning runs
#3 - EBC HH pads keep biting where the stock pads hit their stopping effort limit too early

I don't have much seat time with the 15T sprocket I put on, or the lovely Nitron R3 shock. My Andreani cartridges are in lockdown in Italy still. I'm sure when they arrive that suspension will duke it out for the top spot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rick your honesty is refreshing. Don't spend too much time polishing the catalytic converter, so as to avoid any confusion as to "keep the shiny side up"!

Looking forward to seeing you LIRC when freedom returns.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
I was looking at the WP options as it seems fitting and I like the adjustability as mine is used on road and track. What do you think of the Andreani? I had a look on their site but I've not heard much about the brand
IMO it's an awesome bang for buck product unless you're a top end Club racer or higher.

I had mine set at install and it was great, then a friend got his set up by Dave Moss at a track day so I stupidly copied his settings without writing down my own so lost em and now it's way too harsh so I'm going back to basics and once I've replaced my leaky fork seals next week I'll focus on getting the right settings again.
The biggest changes are straight rate springs and of course the 3-way adjustability.

WP Apex stuff is rated okay as well - can't go wrong really with any aftermarket mid-level or better product!

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
Im planning on Andreani/Ktec rear combo (piggyback version), mainly because of price.

Are the OEM tyres that bad?
IMO - YES.

Caveat - it comes down to intended use and the rider of course. I spent many many years on track doing track days, racing, and instructing so granted my idea of "spirited" riding is a little different than most middleweight naked bike owners so keep that in mind.

I make no apologies for the fact that I'm a Princess - I only ride in ideal conditions and on twisty local backroads, and my riding style can be considered rather brisk shall we say. I dont care one bit for tire life, wet weather grip, or ultimately cost. I use what I consider are the best tires for my needs and IMO that's the cheapest life and vehicle insurance you can have. I want more grip than I'll ever need, not the opposite.

OEM tires on my short 30 minute test ride were harsh, too round of a profile so turn in felt weird - getting them "off-center" was hard then once they did turn they flipped on to the edge rather than smoothly transitioned. I was riding maybe 75% pace and still managed to have at least 2 small slides on the front while trail braking.

If riders want a long lasting tire for commuting, general scooting about, or anything up to a moderate pace I'd bet the OEM tires are up to the task.

·
Registered
14 Posts
without a doubt it's the LeoVince carbon slip-on exhaust.

the 790D engine has such a beautiful sound, i really don't understand those who stick to the muffled stock exhaust :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Curious to see what others have changed and what benefit it gave, whether it's performance or aesthetic :nerd:
Mine came with sticker kit and heated grips, for aesthetics I've done a tail tidy and fitted a bar end mirror, with block covers where the mirrors attached. fitted link pipe and a stubby IXIL muffled which i have cut and changed and tried all sorts of baffles in, finally sorted now as it was too loud prior. For performance, Matris fork kit (work in progress) Nitron shock (awesome, best $s spent) and for protection, just some clutch and crank cover protection (cheep from China). Future is to hone out the Matris valves (for better, Less aggressive dampening) and fit some 7kn Racetec springs, then finished.:smile:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Oh PS, forgot the EBC upgrade of the front pads. Great way to improve the braking package for $100.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Curious about the lowering kit, I can't reach the floor myself as I'm 5'3 but I'm used to it so have never worried, how did it make you feel more connected?

All my previous 3 bikes had lower seat height so I'm much more accustomed to it. Lowering the bike has an effect on cornering (you need to tip a little bit more), braking and accelerating (less bobbing, but this can also be changed with adjustable suspensions).
Also, I think it is a very important safety issue for a computer biker to reach the ground comfortably, if this was just a track bike for me (not going to happen, i'm not that rich) maybe I would have looked at it differently.
I bought the bike knowing that there is a lowering kit available, even though it took too much time to install it.

If It is any help, one of the dealers who sold me the bike is a little bit shorter than me and he is a much better rider on the same bike. He is racing and commuting on the bike with modified suspensions and no matter how much he softened them he woun't reach the same seat height as me.

Wow, I forgot one of the most important changes I made.

The new #3 is Higher pegs - for a sportier position.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Rick your honesty is refreshing. Don't spend too much time polishing the catalytic converter, so as to avoid any confusion as to "keep the shiny side up"!

Looking forward to seeing you LIRC when freedom returns.
Thanks, haha. I'm in the group but prefer to ride at my own pace or try to keep up to better riders within reason. Too many heroes trying to be Rossi and binning it, I don't want that up in my wings.

I spent many many years on track doing track days, racing, and instructing so granted my idea of "spirited" riding is a little different than most middleweight naked bike owners so keep that in mind.
For perspective, I fought to keep up to his relaxed pace only to see him one-handing it through the tightest stretch of tight corners on the weekly ride.

In all my years of autocross and grip track days (as well as helping run drift track days), it's always:
#1 Seat time
#2 Tires
#3 Suspension
#4 Everything else

·
Registered
23 Posts
without a doubt it's the LeoVince carbon slip-on exhaust.

the 790D engine has such a beautiful sound, i really don't understand those who stick to the muffled stock exhaust :)
I really like the OE exhaust, although I generally changed my exhaust on almost all my bikes in the past.

Each time I hear a slip-on, I feel it is getting more high pitch, either some at idle, sometime as soon as accelerating at 4000RPMs+.

So opposite of what I would be looking at in terms of sound quality.
Maybe I've been listening to the wrong ones?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Maybe I've been listening to the wrong ones?
Have you heard the WINGS? - Unashamedly made to sound right (says the mfr). With the dB killer it there is no real difference to OEM - might even be quieter, but open it has a nice sort of growl. If you want more low frequencies you need the bigger large volume slip on's - imo.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
+1 regarding Penske and Nitron shocks.

I had a custom-built top of the line Penske on my Blackbird and the transformation was out of this world. Amazingly, my average rear tyre life also improved by nearly 2000 km. I had Nitron rear shocks on my Street Triple and GSX-S 1000. They are excellent too, perhaps not quite to the build quality of the Penske.

Good suspension is a far better investment than loud cans and it doesn't attract unwanted attention either :grin:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but what's wings?
https://wings-exhausts.com/exhausts-eu/ktm-eu/790-duke-eu/#show - NOTE NOW € APPROVED.

They did (may still do) offer a price deal if you wanted a COOBER box as well. it was substantially cheaper.

If you write they will do one-offs.

I asked for Matte Carbon - no sticker - spark arrestor dB killer (for MoT) :wink:

With the dB killer in it is no louder than the OEM - maybe even slightly less. Open - It booms nicely. So much so it was making my helmet boom and I put it back in - oddly a new fairing solved that so it's out again.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts