KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to see what others have changed and what benefit it gave, whether it's performance or aesthetic :nerd:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here's a list of all the mods I've done. My favorite so far has been the EBC brake pads. They made a big difference in brake feel. Of course, if I ever go down, I'm sure my favorite will be the crash bobbins and sliders :) Windscreen made a positive difference too, takes wind off the chest, and you can tuck in behind it pretty well. PP seat has also been great, big improvement over stock.

PP Brake and Clutch levers
EBC front brake pads
Powerbronze handguards
PP standard height seat
Ermax Sport Screen
Woodcraft frame sliders
Woodcraft swingarm sliders/spools
R&G Front/Rear Axle Sliders
TechSpec tank grips

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
In order of impact for me:

#1. Suspension - forks and shock replaced.
#2. Tires - pulled off OEM Maxxis right at the dealer for Dunlop Q3+ (test rode a bike with Maxxis tires previously)
#3. Heated Grips - they are used **** near every ride - such great value for the money
#4. PP +20mm comfort seat
#5. Ermax windscreen - helps a little but honestly wish it was smaller - debating removing it again.

I am upgrading my brake pads next week and flushing the brake fluid so that mod might magically insert itself on the list somewhere I'm sure.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Pcv with a custom map that’s two but can’t have one without the other lol.
Lots of other bits but other than sorting the brakes the pcv transforms it.

·
VIP member
416 Posts
Upgrading to the WP Apex Pro suspension. It transformed the 790. The brake upgrades were icing on the cake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
#1. Lowering Kit - Although I reached the ground, I feel much more connected to the bike this way.
#2. Top case carrier - It is my daily commute bike (Not so much these days ;))
#3. Tires - I didn't like the original that much, esspcialy in the rain.
#4. Heated Grips - Always wanted these, but never knew how much I will enjoy them.
#5. Fuel tank grip stikers - A little bit more connected to the bike.
#6. Splash protector extender - My boots are a little bit cleaner.
#7. Windscreen
#8. Side panniers
#9. USB charger - I don't use that much the phone for navigating and when I do I keep forgetting the cable.
#10. Bike Protection - hope this will stay last.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Getting rid of the OEM Maxxis pure sport tyres after losing the front end (stayed on - just). I ride in all weathers and went out last winter on a day that cold and damp. Simply couldn't get enough heat into the tyres and went for sport touring hoops to widen the safe riding conditions. I opted for Bridgestone T31's which had some good reviews and have been very satisfied with them in all conditions. Some photos of them here at 8500 km: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2020/03/what-difference-few-days-make.html .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you describe how it t transforms? I’m looking to get ride of the off idle twitches

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why did you go for the PCV? I have one on my GSXR but there are so many options of the 790 what made the PC be the one for you?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Upgrading to the WP Apex Pro suspension. It transformed the 790. The brake upgrades were icing on the cake.
What brakes did you go for? I've got some S1000RR calipers and an RCS19 :grin:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
#1. Lowering Kit
Curious about the lowering kit, I can't reach the floor myself as I'm 5'3 but I'm used to it so have never worried, how did it make you feel more connected?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
What suspension did you go for? Why?
First off, sorry! You even Caps Locked "Single" best change and I go and list a bunch - my reading comprehension isn't top notch it seems. :grin:

Ohlins shock - because it was available, cheapish, and holds it's value.
Andreani Misano Cartridges - also available, cheapish, and fully adjustable. Plus they were on a previous bike and I quite enjoyed them.

There's a LOT of options obviously, if I lived where you do I'd likely go for Maxton - great kit and supporting local.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First off, sorry! .
I was looking at the WP options as it seems fitting and I like the adjustability as mine is used on road and track. What do you think of the Andreani? I had a look on their site but I've not heard much about the brand

·
Registered
58 Posts
First off, sorry! .

Im planning on Andreani/Ktec rear combo (piggyback version), mainly because of price.

Are the OEM tyres that bad? I noticed the front end losing it on the demo (almost binned the demo bike), but I put it down to mould release and fact it had 5 inch chicken strips before I got on it :devil:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Im planning on Andreani/Ktec rear combo (piggyback version), mainly because of price.

Are the OEM tyres that bad? I noticed the front end losing it on the demo (almost binned the demo bike), but I put it down to mould release and fact it had 5 inch chicken strips before I got on it :devil:

The OEM tires are great, nothing wrong with them. Have done ~2500 miles on them without an issue riding in mostly cold damp conditions.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The COOBER/WINGS pack (it came as a set so is one thing). Though really I suspect it's mostly the COOBER.
It made the bike overall more ride-able on the road - especially regarding the quickshifter which suddenly! became smooth as silk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
how to choose...

Value for the buck...
I would say the Tires, changed to Pirelli Rosso 3 just after 1000kms crossed (kept the Maxxis if /when I resale)

Most suprising
I would say the PP wave discs. So much lighter and definitelly add on stopping power and more imortantly, on the bite feel

Eye sore
The tail tidy. Replaced the OE rear light/license holder/fender by a PP tail tidy. OE one is such an ugly piece that anything else is better. The 790 is not a looker for me, so some plastic surgery was required.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts