KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't for the life of me find a solid answer for this. I don't know much about tuning so I'm not sure what is needed. I love the sound of the 790D with the stock exhaust and a cat delete, I know I will need to get it tuned so the Air Fuel ratio is correct. Do I just need a PCV and the Cat delete with open muffler tune? or would it be best to take it to my local Dyno and get them to flash the ECU? I see that Coober says it automatically adjusts, can it adjust to such and extreme change like removing the cat? And I remember reading something about one of the maps/ecu's always showing the check engine light, is that still a problem?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can't for the life of me find a solid answer for this. I don't know much about tuning so I'm not sure what is needed. I love the sound of the 790D with the stock exhaust and a cat delete, I know I will need to get it tuned so the Air Fuel ratio is correct. Do I just need a PCV and the Cat delete with open muffler tune? or would it be best to take it to my local Dyno and get them to flash the ECU? I see that Coober says it automatically adjusts, can it adjust to such and extreme change like removing the cat? And I remember reading something about one of the maps/ecu's always showing the check engine light, is that still a problem?
Hi Owen, l’ve had my 790D for 15 mths and 15000 km. I recently had the cat delete link pipe installed and kept the oem end can. Sounds a bit louder but a much deeper tone. I’ve had no tuning issues at all in fact l think it runs a bit better and maybe even cooler.

You’ll need to ride conservatively at start up if you want to stay on good terms with your neighbours. Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This should answer most of your questions. Very good info here.

Awesome thanks! So it seems like the ECU can handle the difference in pressure and everything to keep the AFR correct. Instead of spending over $500 on a PCV and a map it looks like I would be fine by it self, but a booster plug might be a good idea. Does anyone know if running the bike with no cat and a new muffler with no map void the warranty? I just got my bike 3 days ago and would hate to void the warranty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Akra map will take care of that, for cheap or free depending on your dealer.
I was talking with my dealer and they said you can only get the map if you have the one time use code supplied when you buy the akra system. And that if you dont have the akra system installed, but are using the map it voids your warranty.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was talking with my dealer and they said you can only get the map if you have the one time use code supplied when you buy the akra system. And that if you dont have the akra system installed, but are using the map it voids your warranty.

It's been about 8 months since I did it. There was no code needed in April, but that doesn't mean there isn't now.
Then again, Dealers are known to lie alot too. They can't void your whole warranty regardless of what you install without proving it caused the failure.. My dealer will back me and just tell KTM I DO have the full system if I ever had an issue, but I understand there are many dealers out there that have no interest in helping their customers, which makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been about 8 months since I did it. There was no code needed in April, but that doesn't mean there isn't now.
Then again, Dealers are known to lie alot too. They can't void your whole warranty regardless of what you install without proving it caused the failure.. My dealer will back me and just tell KTM I DO have the full system if I ever had an issue, but I understand there are many dealers out there that have no interest in helping their customers, which makes no sense at all.
Yeah, guess I will have to phone around and try some others dealers. Plus I wouldn't mind going for a road trip if no one local will do it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts