KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1541 - 1560 of 1577 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sorry for the potato quality (and obscene garage, still settling in new home). Added an Ermax sport screen to the Duke! Any suggestions on how to cleanly block off the light bleed from the headlight, bouncing up from the shiny inside/back of the screen?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sorry for the potato quality (and obscene garage, still settling in new home). Added an Ermax sport screen to the Duke! Any suggestions on how to cleanly block off the light bleed from the headlight, bouncing up from the shiny inside/back of the screen?
I did the clear screen to avoid as much reflection as I can and I never ride at night, (too much wildlife) but it is still a bit annoying. Potential fix, Some fat weatherstripping foam between screen and light, flat paint/vinyl/plastidip on backside lower portion of screen.. these are suggestions I’ve thought of but not tried as per not riding at night. (Last time I broke that rule I almost hit a moose and her calves)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking of a thick, black strip of weather stripping to close the gap.

I hadn't considered painting but I LOVE plastidip. I used it on my track/race bike back in 2004 and got a lot of compliments on it. Matte black from my perspective, shiny clear-look look on the front/outside. After a while it got scatched up and I ended up plasti-dipping both sides and love that look too:

Bonus track day pic from 2 weeks ago, just before I received the windscreeb

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had an interesting moment the other day, bars rotated in clamps as I was coming to a hard stop!!! So after the road side repair, (there’s no 10mm in the factory tool kit) I decided to move the bar position forward. Oh and loctite my bar clamp bolts! The larger bolts that hold the clamps to the triple had Loctite from factory but the bar clamp bolts were clean. Might be worth having a look at yours folks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oh and loctite my bar clamp bolts!
Between my 890R and my old 701 sumo, I've learned to loctite everything KTM derived. Even as smooth as the 890 is, I've still had a handful of bolts/screws back out, on their own. The tank shroud screws, above my thighs, were the first to disappear, I replaced them and put blue loctite on them. Found a couple loose bolts in the seat and my stator case cover had 2 bolts i could hand-unscrew from the factory.

IMO blue/purple loctite is a good, cheap precaution with pretty much no downsides. I use it after replacing most screws/bolts on this bike. Only places I don't use it on are axles, fluid areas (banjos, oil, drain, etc), and internals.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Between my 890R and my old 701 sumo, I've learned to loctite everything KTM derived. Even as smooth as the 890 is, I've still had a handful of bolts/screws back out, on their own. The tank shroud screws, above my thighs, were the first to disappear, I replaced them and put blue loctite on them. Found a couple loose bolts in the seat and my stator case cover had 2 bolts i could hand-unscrew from the factory.

IMO blue/purple loctite is a good, cheap precaution with pretty much no downsides. I use it after replacing most screws/bolts on this bike. Only places I don't use it on are axles, fluid areas (banjos, oil, drain, etc), and internals.
you know I was actually surprised the bar clamps weren’t threadlocked. Everything else I’ve touched on this bike so far has the green thread lock on it. I got my paranoid hat on wondering if the Dealer may have loosened the bars when they installed the cruise control back in March. I know I’ve bolt checked these in the past and while I can’t say never as I’ve been riding motorcycles and mountain bikes for 20 and 30 years respectively, I know the importance of a properly tightened handle bar!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Got some better pics after the test ride for the new wcreen. It made a much bigger difference than I expected at over 60mph! Parked next to my gf's MT07 for comparison of our windscreens.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
260 Posts
Thanks for asking :)
Very well. I'm currently on holiday, having ridden from Qld to Victoria over a few days, and the bike did everything it's supposed to. The ride is the same as the 790, very comfy, and the engine/electronics didn't miss a beat. The gearing is slightly different in terms of RPM/sound ratio, so I'm getting used to that.
Contrary to the YT reviews (very few of which exist, unfortunately) which say you can go longer without shifting, I find, at least around town, that the engine will labour more readily than the 790 ever did, so I feel I have to go down a gear more frequently, yet when I do it feels and sounds like it's screaming a bit, yet the tacho only says 3-4 grand. That's not a complaint, just a comparison to Ugga.
It's soooo nice to know this one's going to start perfectly every time, and not anticipate a cut out every time I approach an intersection :)
The exhaust does put out more heat, too. Just as well I tested out the luggage setup, because the original strapping config is way too close to the end of the can, resulting in a sight singeing. Easily sorted, though.
It's as much fun and fascinating getting to know such a similar machine to what I'm used to as getting to know my new grandson (who is so stinking cute, BTW).

I do have one gripe, however.
The finish is cheap and nasty. I knew I'd struggle a bit with the semi-matte tank paint, much as I LOVE the look, but not only does every tiny scratch show up, they also go right through to the undercoat (if there even is any undercoat/primer). Very disappointing.
The pretty silver KTM badges on the side covers, which I also like, were peeling off at only two weeks.
The bike naturally got very dirty on the trip down, but I haven't had a chance to wash her yet. That'll be a challenge, I'm thinking.
But overall, I think Witchy and I will be very happy together.
Pic shows the mileage when I hit Melbourne. View attachment 9122
Add 2 teeth to the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I installed the Vanasche Motorsports front sprocket cover and lower chain guide kit. I hate not having access to front sprocket for cleaning and getting the ooze drip down the engine case. Bonus this also acts as a case saver in the event of a chain breaking.

Vanasche Motorsports is a one man band in Washington that makes a lot of accessories for KTM models. It’s great to have a guy making cool parts for our bikes.

The package had a free neck tube/buff included, check him out at;

Case Saver - 790/890/901

Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Motorcycle Automotive design

·
Registered
156 Posts
i got the same case saver for $30, not sure how he gets away with charging so much for a piece of aluminum, looks good in black, mine is annodized orange and its faded in the past few months already

anybody have found any good options for a toe guard?

1541 - 1560 of 1577 Posts