KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1441 - 1460 of 1466 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Well so far today - I have been "making a mess of things".

I decided to refit the PP windscreen. It's too low for cooler weather - but it's not cool here right now. But as we know the light reflects of the inner face.
I'd painted it out Matt Black on the inside. But on digging it out of the box - it seems that the paint/primer must have etched into the plastic - There were white marks all over .

Easy I thought. Paint the outer surface and nobody will know. Prepped with good degreaser etc. Plastic primer. Immediate spider webs type marks everywhere - dammit. Sand, sand, sand. nbg - the plastic has etched. Oh what the hell - Black paint. Proper stuff for plastics. First fine coat. - Not bad. Second fine coat - still not bad. Third coat - AND - wham! - a friggin dust storm. Sand sand sand. Paint paint paint. But not happy really.

So I finally have what looks like a well used but clean screen. Letting it cure and will see if it looks OK when fitted. It looks better than it did this AM - but how will it look in the sun?.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well so far today - I have been "making a mess of things".

I decided to refit the PP windscreen. It's too low for cooler weather - but it's not cool here right now. But as we know the light reflects of the inner face.
I'd painted it out Matt Black on the inside. But on digging it out of the box - it seems that the paint/primer must have etched into the plastic - There were white marks all over .

Easy I thought. Paint the outer surface and nobody will know. Prepped with good degreaser etc. Plastic primer. Immediate spider webs type marks everywhere - dammit. Sand, sand, sand. nbg - the plastic has etched. Oh what the hell - Black paint. Proper stuff for plastics. First fine coat. - Not bad. Second fine coat - still not bad. Third coat - AND - wham! - a friggin dust storm. Sand sand sand. Paint paint paint. But not happy really.

So I finally have what looks like a well used but clean screen. Letting it cure and will see if it looks OK when fitted. It looks better than it did this AM - but how will it look in the sun?.
If you don't mind matte, you could do what I did and just plastidip it. 4-6 very-light coats and it looks as good as something from the factory.

Here's what it looked like on my R6. You could do the glossifier if you want a shiny look vs matte. The dip will hide most/all of the scratches/imperfections of the paint you've already applied/sanded off

·
Registered
11 Posts
jerryrigged an extra Aliexpress/Amazon deflector to my new 890 using some scrap metal and an old bolt from a bicycle and some washers. looks ok, works decently and is very stable at 70 mph. shared in the Mods/Accessories forum.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Plant Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle Hood
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Finally wired these up

Cheepo Amazon Spots. They have a yellow "dipped" beam and a white "main" beam. Built up a small relay box today. The main relay takes power from ACC1 but is coil switched on by ACC2 via a 10s delay timer. I have a relay installed to do the main/dip switching - but I have not decided how to activate the high/low side of things. Once done it will be white with DRL and main beam - yellow on dip beam.

It has been blisteringly hot here today - Will try and do a quick video one evening when this heat wave passes. Took me longer than expected today - as I suddenly had problems focusing close up. Had to stop for a few hours.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Xmas came early! Picked up new front/rear shocks and airbags for my truck, Pitbull TRS/pins for the 890/R3, and the pitbull tire wedge (since both bikes are a PITA to reinstall the wheel.)

Also got an exhaust cover to better fit the luggage rack for an upcoming 1500 mile 3day trip.

Should be a far more comfortable trip than when I did it 2 years ago on this. I ditched the airhawk seat after 100 miles b/c they were NOT designed for the 2x4-like seat on the 701. 😅

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
All I could do (and can do today) is look at mine - somehow I have really screwed up my lower back. Next weekend I have a long weekend to play though.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
All I could do (and can do today) is look at mine - somehow I have really screwed up my lower back. Next weekend I have a long weekend to play though.
Had a week to recover and then, yesterday, did some trailer electrical wiring on the wife's CUV. Back to Aleve.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Replaced my old tail bag with a new Nelson Rigg Commuter Lite. It comes with straps to fit under the pillion seat but after seeing @Hawkerjet 's post I went with a 'fixed' option (using the existing screws under the seat) to limit the chance of snagging the seat release and also added a rear loop (using the plastic D-ring on the bag) in the hopes of detering any passing 'bag nappers'.
Also on the security front the main zip has the option to add a padlock and you could also use a caribiner lock or similar around the passenger grab rail if the bike is likely to be unattended for a bit.
The bag also holds a lot of stuff. I have a larger bag for touring but wanted something for day rides that could hold some emergency items (includes tyre repair kits & pump) rain jacket and other bits and pieces (see pics) and there's still some extra space (maybe another 25/30%) if you use the expansion zip (last pic).
For now I've tucked the excess straps up under the seat as I didn't want to cut them in case I needed them in 'original equipment' form down the track.

Pics below provide some more details:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Luggage and bags Bag Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Grey Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Tints and shades

Wheel Tire Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Finished (AT LAST) my very Quick Detach rig for the MoskoMoto gear.

Now just need to be able to go somewhere. 110L MAX of luggage space. Takes about 3 minutes to fully load from this

·
Registered
31 Posts
Brand.Spanking.New.Oil.Cooler
Not sexy, but it was misting oil a bit, and leaking an occasional drop or three. Got it warrantied at the dealership - only took 12 weeks to get the part in stock. But now it's back to tip-top three weeks before it goes out of warranty.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
546 Posts
Ordered the harder front fork springs, shock spring, and -1 dampened front sprocket from my dealer. The only part not immediately available was the rear shock spring. I'll have to wait until Oct 25th for that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Added a bit of extra luggage space to complement the tail bag - I'll go entirely without saddlebags for any trips I do after this upgrade.

Got the mounting brackets from Cycle Gear for half off and bought the rack/box from a friend who couldn't xfer it to his RS660 from his trusty SV650 steed.

So far, it's great. I can fit the helmet in it easily. Picked up a new set of Dainese boots and was able to fit my old ones in the top case no problem.... WITH the helmet in there!

1441 - 1460 of 1466 Posts