KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1421 - 1440 of 1466 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts

Been mulling over doing this for a while. Finally bit the bullet and took a knife to the fairing decal.
The plastic is so soft that gentle rubbing with a fingernail behind towelling showed up indelibly. So I am sure the score lines on the sticker lines will be there forever as well.

Factory application of same is diabolical, BTW.
The subframe ones were coming off without any help from me, so I put them out of their misery.

·
Registered
268 Posts
@Essie I see coolant residue from your upper/left rad hose, how's your coolant level? I don't know why it's always the left/upper, but they're made wrong and coolant comes out between the layers of the hose. I went through 4 of them before biting the bullet and putting Samco ones on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've got a seemingly intermittent hose clip fail thing going on which hasn't affected the level. Been keeping a close eye on things since having the first clip replaced. I asked for an old-school clamp back then, but of course that didn't happen, even though they know the stock ones are rubbish.. and yep every now and then it leaks a bit.

I don't see radiator hose seepage though, but then again, I wouldn't know what that looks like in relation to what you're seeing.
It's just had throttle bodies replaced, so the bike has had its lid off, if that has any bearing.

Oh, and while prepping the fairing, I did find the lower screws were very loose, with the pointy bits flopping around in my hand. That sort of thing is unfortunately a bit common from this dealer's mech shop IME. An ongoing issue with no local options, sadly.

@Essie I see coolant residue from your upper/left rad hose, how's your coolant level? I don't know why it's always the left/upper, but they're made wrong and coolant comes out between the layers of the hose. I went through 4 of them before biting the bullet and putting Samco ones on.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I've got a seemingly intermittent hose clip fail thing going on which hasn't affected the level.
I had a similar thing on the R3 - Following fitment of SAMCO hoses!
There is an amazingly quick and simple fix.
A SECOND HOSE CLAMP.

·
Registered
149 Posts
On closer inspection, I think it's from an earlier teardown, and it just wasn't cleaned up.

Yup. Been meaning to get around to it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
@Essie The coolant gets through the inner hose layer and wicks out the reinforcement fibres, that's why it starts out looking like little dots. If it was a clamp issue the residue would start between the hose and the rad fitting. 10 years of working on cars full time and my 790 was the first time I'd seen a hose fail like this, I could watch mine bubble out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
@Essie The coolant gets through the inner hose layer and wicks out the reinforcement fibres, that's why it starts out looking like little dots. If it was a clamp issue the residue would start between the hose and the rad fitting. 10 years of working on cars full time and my 790 was the first time I'd seen a hose fail like this, I could watch mine bubble out.
Thanks for the clarification, Rick. Will keep an eye on it 🙂

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Makes you wonder if it is getting damaged inside during assembly - or if it's porous rubber. Does not seem to be a "common" issue so I am wont to suspect the former.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Normally caused by clamp being over tightened. Fractures inner layer. Pretty unsafe and should be replaced. Outer layer is not strong enough to withold pressure alone and pressure can build inside the outer layer faster than vents through the fibre causing hose to swell and eventually blow. You don't want that happening on a bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
More budget personalisation.
I did stuff up both sides though, but lessons learned so I've ordered another set to redo better. Looks great from a distance though 😁

·
Registered
268 Posts

Traced out the flimsy PowerParts rearset carbon heel guards and made some 4mm aluminum ones that actually do something. I could still get my boot to touch the pipe so I made a quick aluminum guard from a piece of pipe. Airflow should keep it cool enough to not melt my boot. Track day on Sunday should be better than last time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My replacement heel guards and heat shield worked a treat at the track! Set a new personal best lap time without melting my boot. :)

1421 - 1440 of 1466 Posts