KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1381 - 1399 of 1399 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thursday it gets the updated valve cover gasket.
Rick, where do you take your bike for warranty work? Daytona in Van have been very helpful to me with 3 warranty issues, and I didn't even buy the bike from them. As a mechanic, you're no doubt aware that even with the updated valve cover gasket, they have to use sealant on the half moons, especially on the right angles, otherwise it will continue to leak
My updated thermostat housing still hasn't shown up yet, the Samco hoses are holding ok on the stock oval but my mechanic brain still doesn't like it.
The thermostat housing was one of my warranty issues. It took about 3 weeks for the part to arrive. Not sure if they installed an upgraded part (ie, not oval!) but the leak has stopped now, so fingers crossed!

I installed the RapidBike Easy just before putting the bike away for the winter. I'm looking forward to getting some miles in with it.
Keep us posted on the RapidBike Easy. I'd like to hear first hand experience of whether it genuinely improves the low speed fueling. Good luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rick, where do you take your bike for warranty work? Daytona in Van have been very helpful to me with 3 warranty issues, and I didn't even buy the bike from them. As a mechanic, you're no doubt aware that even with the updated valve cover gasket, they have to use sealant on the half moons, especially on the right angles, otherwise it will continue to leak

The thermostat housing was one of my warranty issues. It took about 3 weeks for the part to arrive. Not sure if they installed an upgraded part (ie, not oval!) but the leak has stopped now, so fingers crossed!

Keep us posted on the RapidBike Easy. I'd like to hear first hand experience of whether it genuinely improves the low speed fueling. Good luck!
Mark, I've heard good things about Daytona. I'm glad they were able to help you out. :)

My wife works at Action in Victoria, so they fight the good fight on my behalf with KTM. I build engines and transmissions in VW land, so I'm used to dealing with certain brand gaskets being absolute garbage (ie: a Victor Reinz rubber valve cover gasket will always leak, even if completely coated in reinforced silicone meant for oil pans). There's one mechanic at Action that's as absolutely anal and perhaps more sealer-snobbish than I am, he'll be taking a break from FJR trans recalls to do my lowly gasket. :)

Plastic coolant parts are a double edged sword. They don't corrode, but they can certainly be crushed. The oval fitting necessitated the worm gear clamp vs the nice spring clamps, and with the hoses being as terrible as they are it's easy to overdo it. I went through 4 coolant hoses (leaking through the fibers between the layers) before giving up and putting Samco hoses on.

The RBE helps, it doesn't make everything butter but it does help. I didn't experience any surging today. The throttle will always be touchy in Sport mode, so riding over rough bumps can affect throttle smoothness. I dropped down to Street mode and it was nice. I took the slow road to bring my wife some lunch at work, I had no surging and the throttle was a bit touchy as usual but easy to control. I got on it in 2nd once and had the front end lift, haven't had that with Street throttle before even on the track. More riding required, clearly! ;)

I guess I was worried about the rearsets looking out of place, but it seems like they're nothing compared to the horrid orange that Samco uses. If I didn't have to pass tech for track days I could have waited the extra month for black hoses. In any event, I don't hate the matte silver enough to have them anodized black. I'd prefer them black of course, but here we are.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My wife works at Action in Victoria, so they fight the good fight on my behalf with KTM.
Rick - that's awesome that you've got a great "in" at Action, with your wife working there, and also a decent mechanic there who obviously takes pride in doing the job properly! Here's to getting your valve cover oil tight! Mine bugged me for almost 2 years, until my warranty was coming to an end, and I had to get my act together to fix it! Shout out to Brandon, the mechanic at Daytona. He's an awesome guy, very knowledgable, and easy to deal with - great focus on customer service. He fought (and finally got approval) on replacement rotors for my pulsating front brakes. Just waiting for them to arrive. Thanks for the lowdown on the RBE - I may bite the bullet at some point, just to smooth things out a little at low speed. And BTW those rearsets look awesome!

·
Registered
238 Posts
@markjanemhan - My first set of rotors pulsed from new and got (barely) approved for replacement after I took a video of the runout and thickness variation, which the Action guys also checked and verified. My 2nd set is starting to pulse but not as bad yet, I'm not on stock pads anymore so I don't expect any warranty there. My wife used to work at a Ducati/Triumph dealer and saw no end of Brembo rotor pulsation complaints even on replacements, so while we complain about ours it could be worse.

I try not to just make changes for nothing, it's too easy to get caught up in mods when there's no problem. I got the RBE because the snatchy fueling was bugging me in the twisties and on the track, I don't need more power but I do want things smoother so I can stay focused. I need to work on my body positioning of course (who doesn't), but it was getting to the point of too much track corner setup was devoted to pulling my feet in awkwardly to avoid scraping boot, and still scraping boot causing me to pull up. 890R brackets are backordered with no ETA, while PP rearsets were sitting on the warehouse shelf.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Weather was cold rainy windy this weekend, so I made and installed some swing arm spools this weekend. And installed my Mustard tail tidy and Yoshi signals.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just fitted the 790's Christmas Pressie.

Spoiler/bash plate from IBEX in Germany. Saw it on offer on Amazon and lept!.

View attachment 6024

required a bit of trimming as it was clipping the Givi Crash bars on the left.

View attachment 6025

It's a really tough looking/feeling item. 3mm Ali. But with an additional internal reinforcement plate. All on really good rubber bush mounts and good 8.8 strength bolts

I leave them the settle and re-torque tomorrow.

Would take the beastie out, but I am on a self imposed steep learning curve on data encryption. First serious mental challenge I have had in months. And it's fun.
how does this attach to the bike?

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke, 2020 KTM 890 Duke R, 2020 Kawasaki KLX230
54 Posts

Moderator Edit:

By clicking the "New" button at the top of your screen, you will see all the latest posts you've not yet viewed, this goes for everyone here.

(If one wants to see a previous 'New' post already viewed, click 'New' then 'Popular' to review the previously seen post).

If you post the same video, in 5 different threads, it shows up under that 'New' button, 5 different times.

There is no reason for this.

Post once, everyone will see it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ktm Bar end mirrors! Was surprised at the heavy brass bar end weights on the 890r interested to see if the bar end mirror install increases vibrations. If so I might spin up something on the lathe to reuse the brass portion of the original bar end

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ktm Bar end mirrors! Was surprised at the heavy brass bar end weights on the 890r interested to see if the bar end mirror install increases vibrations. If so I might spin up something on the lathe to reuse the brass portion of the original bar end
View attachment 7070
If this is something you make up, would you have any interest in making a few sets to sell? I would love to be able to run some kind of weighted damper with the power parts mirrors I have as well!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have not noticed any bad vibrations. But then again I had the bar end mirrors installed before I picked up the bike. I never rode with the stock mirrors.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Aside from putting 5000kms on in the past couple of months, I added a Powerbronze bellypan to the bike.....oh and the KTM PP orange handlebars. View attachment 7099
what’s your thoughts on the “open” sprocket guard? I like being able to clean the front sprocket easier, but the stock guard also seems to be a bit of a guide so haven‘t made a change yet. Changing the cover on my last bike sure increased the noise level from the chain.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This "cover" comes with a guide inside so no worries there. Not to bothered about noise as I tend to use a bit of chain noise as my guide to how tight/loose my chain is, if it's in good alignment and if it needs a cleaning and or light lubrication.

·
Super-Member
609 Posts
I threw on the CRG Arrow bar end mirrors recently. Absolutely love the look and the functionality. I can actually see without having to dip left or right or move my arms. Short of maybe putting on some graphics, I think I may be done modding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
15T sprocket in last night, and aligned the rear with the Motion Pro tool I bought. I had set my rear before with vernier calipers to even the distance between adjuster boss to the blocks, and checking the lines on the blocks. It wasn't effortless with the alignment tool, parallax makes it sensitive to where you look and making sure the rod is parallel to the chain. My blocks are definitely not at the same marks now, so we'll see how it goes. I was getting some chain noise before that I had just figured was slack hitting the guides, it was audible and distracting over earplugs.

Today is brake rotor warranty and (if they have time) a software update for quickshifter apparently.
How did they turn out? I just used a MotionPro chain alignment tool and the left & right guide blocks are no longer matched to the same notch placement. Which is the more accurate?

1381 - 1399 of 1399 Posts