KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1360 Posts

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
95 Posts
Puzzled. Tyres on photo look like Bridgestone S22 ?
I had Conti RA3 on my Kawa Z900 and really liked them. They give you nice progressive warning when they are near breakaway point. Nothing sudden or scary- just a gentle creeping slide sensation. Fantastic all rounder tyre.
Oops! Sorry. Replying to wrong forum member. Its an age thing 🤪

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Just fitted the 790's Christmas Pressie.

Spoiler/bash plate from IBEX in Germany. Saw it on offer on Amazon and lept!.

required a bit of trimming as it was clipping the Givi Crash bars on the left.

It's a really tough looking/feeling item. 3mm Ali. But with an additional internal reinforcement plate. All on really good rubber bush mounts and good 8.8 strength bolts

I leave them the settle and re-torque tomorrow.

Would take the beastie out, but I am on a self imposed steep learning curve on data encryption. First serious mental challenge I have had in months. And it's fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the painted and faux-carbon-wrapped PP screen mounted on the bike this morning - I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Now I'm considering wrapping the shiny part of the front mudguard at some point as I have plenty of the £6 wrap left - the roll I got was 30cm x 1.5m.
Darn enter key ....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the painted and faux-carbon-wrapped PP screen mounted on the bike this morning - I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Now I'm considering wrapping the shiny part of the front mudguard at some point as I have plenty of the £6 wrap left - the roll I got was 30cm x 1.5m.
I had been looking at the KTM Touring screen as its shape is way better than anything else out there but wondered - why is it not available in smoke / black? Then a search found this! And I thought Christmas was over ..... can you tell me a lot more about it? Did you paint it and wrap it yourself? Kudos if you did!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had been looking at the KTM Touring screen as its shape is way better than anything else out there but wondered - why is it not available in smoke / black? Then a search found this! And I thought Christmas was over ..... can you tell me a lot more about it? Did you paint it and wrap it yourself? Kudos if you did!
Hi @H&G - yes, no problem!

It's the standard larger KTM PP screen and some cheap carbon-look vinyl wrap from amazon for less than £6 - looks like it's £8 now, thanks Brexit! Much higher quality wrap is available (think the 3M stuff is considered the reference material as it's very flexible so easy to install on curved shapes) but it's so much more expensive for what's essentially a fly collector!

I thoroughly cleaned the screen first in the kitchen sink, dried it then used some cheap satin/matt-black paint to cover the reverse side of the screen first to cut down on headlight glare at night - think it was from Halfords. I masked the edges of the screen with masking tape covering the front with newspaper then applied 5 thin coats at about 30 minute intervals and let it cure fully overnight.

Next day I brought the screen inside and let it warm up in the house then just applied the wrap with the aid of a hair drier to warm it up and make it a bit more flexible.

The holes where the screws go and the divot in the front were too much to stretch the wrap completely into so once I'd got the air bubbles out with the included scraper I just used a sharp knife to cut round the edges of the holes and to remove the tape from the sides of front divot.

All around the sides I carefully cut the tape just leaving the edge clear of paint and tape if that makes sense.

Essentially the wrap is on all the surfaces pointing forwards.

It's held up really well so far - it looks just the same as the day I put it on!

Don't fret about putting wrap on - it's really quite forgiving. You can always pull it back off a little and go again if you get wrinkles.

Start along a central line down the middle and work outwards towards the edges Keep it taut as you apply it and use a hair drier to get it flexible. Work a little on each side together one after the other using your hands / thumbs to press it on and the the spatula to work any air bubbles to the edge.

Once it's covered trim the edges, holes and discontinuities with a sharp knife - job done!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi @H&G - yes, no problem!

It's the standard larger KTM PP screen and some cheap carbon-look vinyl wrap from amazon for less than £6 - looks like it's £8 now, thanks Brexit! Much higher quality wrap is available (think the 3M stuff is considered the reference material as it's very flexible so easy to install on curved shapes) but it's so much more expensive for what's essentially a fly collector!

I thoroughly cleaned the screen first in the kitchen sink, dried it then used some cheap satin/matt-black paint to cover the reverse side of the screen first to cut down on headlight glare at night - think it was from Halfords. I masked the edges of the screen with masking tape covering the front with newspaper then applied 5 thin coats at about 30 minute intervals and let it cure fully overnight.

Next day I brought the screen inside and let it warm up in the house then just applied the wrap with the aid of a hair drier to warm it up and make it a bit more flexible.

The holes where the screws go and the divot in the front were too much to stretch the wrap completely into so once I'd got the air bubbles out with the included scraper I just used a sharp knife to cut round the edges of the holes and to remove the tape from the sides of front divot.

All around the sides I carefully cut the tape just leaving the edge clear of paint and tape if that makes sense.

Essentially the wrap is on all the surfaces pointing forwards.

It's held up really well so far - it looks just the same as the day I put it on!

Don't fret about putting wrap on - it's really quite forgiving. You can always pull it back off a little and go again if you get wrinkles.

Start along a central line down the middle and work outwards towards the edges Keep it taut as you apply it and use a hair drier to get it flexible. Work a little on each side together one after the other using your hands / thumbs to press it on and the the spatula to work any air bubbles to the edge.

Once it's covered trim the edges, holes and discontinuities with a sharp knife - job done!
FYI - @H&G I posted some other photos of my bike (with handguards) in the sunshine that show the screen quite well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI - @H&G I posted some other photos of my bike (with handguards) in the sunshine that show the screen quite well.
Hi @dma,
Cheers. That's really helpful of you. I appreciate the detail in your reply and encouraged by your comment have purchased a coupe of samples of wraps to see which I think looks best to go with my orange Duke!
The extra photos have convinced me and reminded me, sitting here with rain bouncing of the roof, of why I need to do this!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi @dma,
Cheers. That's really helpful of you. I appreciate the detail in your reply and encouraged by your comment have purchased a coupe of samples of wraps to see which I think looks best to go with my orange Duke!
The extra photos have convinced me and reminded me, sitting here with rain bouncing of the roof, of why I need to do this!!
Awesome - happy to help and glad I've inspired you to have a go, I enjoyed making mine.

You can get some really funky patterned and coloured wraps if you are into that kind of thing. An orange machine gives you an opportunity to go bold!

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thank you. Same price for the short one. The big one is 290mm (11.4 in) vs 143mm (5.6) twice as tall. I like the carbon fiber look you achieved. I'm leaning towards the small one.

Thanks @dma

Small one 64108908144
View attachment 6099 View attachment 6101

Big One 64108908033
View attachment 6100 View attachment 6103
No worries - yes, they seem to be the same standard price.

I actually have both now as I managed to pick up a short one second hand for half price a couple of months ago. I've not fitted it to the bike yet as it's winter here and the bike is coddled up in the garage. I figured the short one would be good in the summer when it's hot.

Need to see how it looks on the bike as the smaller one is smoked - I may end up wrapping that one too as I have enough vinyl left over.

·
Registered
124 Posts
No worries - yes, they seem to be the same standard price.

I actually have both now as I managed to pick up a short one second hand for half price a couple of months ago. I've not fitted it to the bike yet as it's winter here and the bike is coddled up in the garage. I figured the short one would be good in the summer when it's hot.

Need to see how it looks on the bike as the smaller one is smoked - I may end up wrapping that one too as I have enough vinyl left over.
I'm thinking maybe wrap the small one in white with orange accents to match the 890 color scheme.

1321 - 1340 of 1360 Posts