KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1360 Posts

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2009 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Buell XB12Scg, 1993 Yamaha Vmax.
200 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Gave my bike some tender, loving care - washed it thoroughly, serviced chain, greased various parts, including the kickstand pivot. While I was there, I checked the pivot bolt, because some owners have found it to be loose. And wouldn't you know it - it was loose! I'd strongly recommend checking yours too!

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Fitted a connection to the battery to power a portable tyre compressor. Have a trip coming up so wanted to be puncture ready with this and a simple plug kit.
Thought about CO2 canisters but went the pump instead. $A59.95, works like a beauty.
Great stuff! I've never regretted an electric pump either. Haven't had cause to use it on the 790 but needed it twice in the GSX-S, both in out of the way places. On one occasion, the puncture was a slit and I couldn't fix it so rode home about 30 km, stopping to pump it up every 5 km or so. That's when a pump scores over CO2 canisters :D . I also carry 3 different sorts of plug, mainly because I live a long way from anywhere.

Have a fantastic trip!

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
95 Posts
I carry my pump and kit in a small Kriega bag on the (unused) pillion seat. The hairiest incidence I had was a front tyre blow-out with instant deflation at 50mph (split side wall) on a Honda Crossrunner VFR800. Luckily I was only 3 miles from home but the 250kg top-heavy bike was a real handful to control, writhing and wandering all over the place with incredibly heavy steering. It felt slightly easier to control at 30mph than 10mph, presumably due to centrifugal forces flinging the recked tyre into shape. Jeez! Hopefully never again!

·
Registered
43 Posts
One day old, new tidy tail, stock mirrors gone, heat shield painted black, seat cowl installed, radiator guard installed, and brake reservoir caps installed. :)
What brand mirrors are u running , I like those alot, and the heat shield is a great look!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hopefully the last functional upgrade to this bike. I'm not looking to add 5hp with a PCV, and access to our favourite tuner in Washington will be blocked for the foreseeable future. Taking care of the jerkiness is my last complaint with the bike on street and our tight track.

I'm glad I only had half a tank of fuel so it wasn't too bad to lift the tank up for access to the O2 plugs (left sensor plug is easier from below with the coolant bottle out of the way). I unbolted the right subframe so I could snake the cable beside the airbox and into the nice cavity in front of the battery. It's still a tight fit for the cable, if it was a few inches longer I may have had better luck coming along the left side.

I left the fueling modifier at the recommended +3 to get home. The bike felt smoother in Street mode at lower RPM riding steady, throttle inputs were predictable. Switching to Sport it was much the same, just much more willing to go at the slightest throttle change over bumps (as expected). Low speed traffic in Sport mode before was a lot of clutch work trying to keep smooth, so this should do the trick. This should really help me on our local track where before I'd just have to coast through some rapid corner sections so the jerkiness didn't upset my tires.

Maybe next week it'll warm up enough to give it some beans. :)

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
156 Posts
The Ermax Sport screen arrived from France this morning. Beautifully made and took about 20 minutes to fit. Had to slightly trim the rubber mounting pads that the screen rests on as the screws are just a tad short without using a fair bit of compression force to get them started.

Well pleased with the result and will test it tomorrow morning. Been invited to south Auckland HQ for the retirement send off of a Highway Patrol officer I've been mates with for years. A good time to exercise restraint, methinks 😁
Hey Geoff
I'm considering this same screen.
Maybe you can confirm some of my assumptions about it.
It looks to be a smaller screen.
I would imagine it lifts the air off of your chest a shoulders?
Does it cause much buffeting around your head?
I would really like to avoid the "scoop" I'm feeling around the chest at highway speeds but I don't want to bolt a barn door to the bars either.
This looks like a good compromise, are you still using it and satisfied?
Thanks Steve
Bottoms Up!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey Geoff
I'm considering this same screen.
Maybe you can confirm some of my assumptions about it.
It looks to be a smaller screen.
I would imagine it lifts the air off of your chest a shoulders?
Does it cause much buffeting around your head?
I would really like to avoid the "scoop" I'm feeling around the chest at highway speeds but I don't want to bolt a barn door to the bars either.
This looks like a good compromise, are you still using it and satisfied?
Thanks Steve
Bottoms Up!
Just to let you know powerbronze makes a 320 mm one also which is the biggest of the three, not sure if it's big enough for you I have the small one 230 mm doesn't block much air but does help.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
@Stewart

I bought the Ermax Sport principally for looks to tidy up the front end. However, it works surprisingly well at open road speeds moving the airflow from the chest to the shoulder and helmet area with no buffeting.

It has one significant downside. The way it's mounted allows light from the headlight assembly to be reflected up the inside of the screen. It's not really noticeable in daylight but riding at night in unlit areas, the reflected light is a serious and dangerous distraction. Presumably, the French designers never ride in the dark! I solved this by spraying the inner face of the screen matte black and also added some tape to the top of the headlight assembly which is covered by the bottom of the screen. You could alternatively cut out a bit of foam to block the space between the screen and the instrument cluster.

In summary, I’m very pleased with the purchase and it’s been on the bike for well over 18 months.

IMG_1265.JPG IMG_0242.JPG IMG_1264.JPG

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought a Nelson Rigg lite rear tailpack for next year. Hopefully I won't die this winter from covid and be able to use it :)

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
156 Posts
@Stewart

I bought the Ermax Sport principally for looks to tidy up the front end. However, it works surprisingly well at open road speeds moving the airflow from the chest to the shoulder and helmet area with no buffeting.

It has one significant downside. The way it's mounted allows light from the headlight assembly to be reflected up the inside of the screen. It's not really noticeable in daylight but riding at night in unlit areas, the reflected light is a serious and dangerous distraction. Presumably, the French designers never ride in the dark! I solved this by spraying the inner face of the screen matte black and also added some tape to the top of the headlight assembly which is covered by the bottom of the screen. You could alternatively cut out a bit of foam to block the space between the screen and the instrument cluster.

In summary, I’m very pleased with the purchase and it’s been on the bike for well over 18 months.

View attachment 5711 View attachment 5712 View attachment 5713
Thanks Geoff
Your reply is very helpful.
Some clever work arounds too.

1281 - 1300 of 1360 Posts