KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1272 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Stuck some Metzeler Racetec 01 SE sport-touring tyres on there as well. Can't really attest to their longevity yet but the grip down in Spain gave no cause for concerns so am happy.

Steve,
I had 2 sets of Roadtec 01's on my GSX-S 1000 and was very pleased with them overall. Not quite the turn-in rate of Road 5's presumably because of the lower crowns but still ok. In terms of life, I got northwards of 10000 km from a rear hoop. The 790 with lighter weight and more aggressive geometry should get at least that unless your riding and the conditions you ride in are more "extreme" 😄. My front sport touring tyres tend to go out of shape irrespective of tyre brand or bike which is what limits their life - no more than 8-9000 km before they get changed. I think where I live has a lot to do with that - lots of continuous bends, exposed chip surface and plenty of countersteering.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
21 Posts
For me the screen seems to reduce the turbulence that was hitting my chest. Not a huge difference, just a tad bit more even pressure of air hitting my chest. I am 5’10” tall for reference, and usually ride with and AGV Pista GP helmet.
Thanks. That was what I was hoping it would do.
I would rather put up with smooth wind pressure than incur helmet roar, by trying to deflect the air away from my chest and thus on to the helmet area. I have tried the windjammer neck curtains but find them claustrophobic and hopeless in the winter, due to massive fogging caused by the reduced airflow inside the helmet - but my Shoei GT Air is prone to fogging.
I can sense my wallet twitching again.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
21 Posts
Thanks. That was what I was hoping it would do.
I would rather put up with smooth wind pressure than incur helmet roar, by trying to deflect the air away from my chest and thus on to the helmet area. I have tried the windjammer neck curtains but find them claustrophobic and hopeless in the winter, due to massive fogging caused by the reduced airflow inside the helmet - but my Shoei GT Air is prone to fogging.
I can sense my wallet twitching again.
Forgot to applaud you on your choice of helmet. The AGV Pista GP is amazing.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
21 Posts
@Oldwisedude - my GT air doesn't fog with the Pinlock on the visor but my spectacles do in certain conditions. Removing the nose cover has eliminated the problem when on the move but I still get it occasionally when not moving in cold weather. Otherwise, it's a great helmet.
Agreed. Thanks. I dispensed with the chin guard some time ago to improve ventilation. Pinlock works but does reduce light throughput and I find this concerning in low light conditions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Last Thursday I’ve finally changed my Maxiss for Michelin, WOW what an improvement i feel so much more confident when leaning down and it does tip easier 👍😛.
Saturday was a a great day. Went up north in the mountains to where my Raptor is. So did 230km up there including 10+km on gravel road (that was a blast !!! Now i really want to have a dirt bike again)
Then did about 110km off really spirited trail on the Raptor, a few drinks with some friends and then back home on the dark mountain road witch was also nice. All over did about 570 km(355miles).
I need to do this again 😁
E5A0E8B2-4A3C-4D39-B1BC-408877D18B4D.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Motocentric expandable tail pack arrived from Hong Kong today. Looks like it was designed for the 790 - perfect fit! The only stuff I'm waiting on now is the sidestand foot extender and matte black R&G grip pads for the tank, principally to stop the risk of paint scuffing. Starting to look pretty nice now. Got a 500 km coaching ride tomorrow so I'll get it in for its first service next week if I have time.
@Geoff Hi, thanks for replying to my question (via your blog) re engine heat a week or so back. I've just ordered my Duke and expect to have it in a week or so. Re the Motocentric bag I'm guessing the straps fit under the pillion seat ok and don't create any issues when clipping the seat back on? Also is it possible to lock the bag to the bike to prevent theft and are the zippers of the bag itself lockable? Lastly, I given the climate in NZ have you fitted heated grips or barkbusters. I get numb finder tips more than anything else is Sydney winters so keen to see what solutions have worked for you. Thanks,

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
@Geoff Hi, thanks for replying to my question (via your blog) re engine heat a week or so back. I've just ordered my Duke and expect to have it in a week or so. Re the Motocentric bag I'm guessing the straps fit under the pillion seat ok and don't create any issues when clipping the seat back on? Also is it possible to lock the bag to the bike to prevent theft and are the zippers of the bag itself lockable? Lastly, I given the climate in NZ have you fitted heated grips or barkbusters. I get numb finder tips more than anything else is Sydney winters so keen to see what solutions have worked for you. Thanks,
Hi F12, congratulations! I don't think you'll regret it. The straps do indeed fit tight against the underside of the seat and present no issue at all. I loop the rear strap round the grab rail to stop it moving forward although it's not really an issue. The bag is quick release so you can take it with you if you want to, but it's possible to thread a wire strop through the spare loops and round the grab rail with a small lock. You can also put a small lock through the main zip tags. None of those measures will deter a determined thief but would certainly deter an opportunist! If you want me to take a few close-ups of my setup, I'm happy to do so and upload a few to Dropbox.

I use heated gloves for the same reason you state. Heated grips on a long haul still left me with what I felt was slower reactions/distraction so I invested in heated gloves about 4 years ago. If you go to page 5 of the attached newsletter, I wrote a piece on heated gloves if it's of any interest. Incidentally, I did have a type of barkbuster (Acerbis) on my Street Triple a few years ago and they worked well without heated grips. Just didn't want them on the Duke.

Hope all that helps

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi F12, congratulations! I don't think you'll regret it. The straps do indeed fit tight against the underside of the seat and present no issue at all. I loop the rear strap round the grab rail to stop it moving forward although it's not really an issue. The bag is quick release so you can take it with you if you want to, but it's possible to thread a wire strop through the spare loops and round the grab rail with a small lock. You can also put a small lock through the main zip tags. None of those measures will deter a determined thief but would certainly deter an opportunist! If you want me to take a few close-ups of my setup, I'm happy to do so and upload a few to Dropbox.

I use heated gloves for the same reason you state. Heated grips on a long haul still left me with what I felt was slower reactions/distraction so I invested in heated gloves about 4 years ago. If you go to page 5 of the attached newsletter, I wrote a piece on heated gloves if it's of any interest. Incidentally, I did have a type of barkbuster (Acerbis) on my Street Triple a few years ago and they worked well without heated grips. Just didn't want them on the Duke.

Hope all that helps
@Geoff Thanks for the detailed response. I'd been considering heated gloves as another more all-round option so I'll check out the link. Lastly, I think the motocentric bag comes in 2 sizes do you perhaps know the volume or size of yours? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
@Geoff Thanks for the detailed response. I'd been considering heated gloves as another more all-round option so I'll check out the link. Lastly, I think the motocentric bag comes in 2 sizes do you perhaps know the volume or size of yours? Thanks.
@fork12 No worries! As far as I'm aware, the Motocentric bag only comes in one size. This is the one I have: US $23.1 45% OFF|2018 Brand New Waterproof Motorcycle Tail Bag Multifunction Motorcycle Rear Seat Bag High Capacity Motorcycle Rider Backpack| | - AliExpress

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
21 Posts

Hope all that helps
Just to concur with Geoff's comments - I began using Gerbing heated gloves three years ago. I also wish I'd used them years earlier. They keep your entire hand, fingers and thumb nice and warm, depending how you set the temperature controller. Wonderful! Far far better than heated grips.

·
Registered
2018 KTM,790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2008 Kawasaki KLE500
122 Posts
Fitted Givi crash bars and a couple of screens.
I have used a Givi mount and adapted an 04 Z1000 original screen and a Givi touring screen for the Z1000. The touring screen definitly takes the wind off your chest at speed and the short screen stops bugs sticking to the instrument housing:)
IMG_1680[1].JPG
IMG_1677[1].JPG
IMG_1681[1].JPG
IMG_1679[1].JPG

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just noticed today that my recently replaced valve cover gasket is leaking again. And this is with the new "improved" gasket. It's leaking on the "half-moon" part of the gasket, same place as the original leaked. Not delighted. Anybody know if there's a sealant that can be used in conjunction with the gasket, to effect an oil tight seal once and for all?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I replaced my counter shaft seal, swapped the 16 tooth stock sprocket for 15 tooth sprocket, and went out and pulled wheelies!😁 If your debating on a 15 tooth sproket just do it so much fun in the twisties! No problem at freeway speeds plenty of top end. Wish I had done the gearing change sooner.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Removed the 4 bolts and 1 connector to remove the rear plate assembly unit, taped up the lights, and proceeded to wobble around the track for the day yesterday.

Result = really stiff/sore legs today! :ROFLMAO:
I understand you, for the 2nd week in a row I went up north for a spirited Raptor ride( so it’s like 16h day with over all 560km) .... my body made sure to remind me that I’m not in shape and not so young anymore.

·
Registered
2018 KTM,790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2008 Kawasaki KLE500
122 Posts
@KiwiDuke thanks for posting these, bike looks great. Out of interest what brand of heated grips did you fit and how are they?
Hi @fork12. Heated grips are the KTM ones. They work ok but are a bit fiddly to operate on the move and the control is basic ugly. There are probably better options out there for the money.

1241 - 1260 of 1272 Posts