KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1272 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
1) My tailbones are getting old. Despite padded knickers , kevlar lined jeans and the mesh pad - it was all getting a bit numb botty-wise. If I have to do "distance", I'll need a gel pad or something. I have a couple sat idle.
So - I was bored and have a "proof of concept" - Interestingly this is easily a +20mm solution. 18mm Gel pad inside a Neoprene cover; and the 3D mesh over - without which GEL (here in summer) is proper dangerous. 1st and 2nd degree burns are possible.

Yes I do realize that a KTM Ergo would look nicer. But this cost me nothing.

I also have a bigger gel pad that would cover more of the seat, but the fixing straps would need serious non-reversible adapting.

@JD - The 2.3 is stunning for distance - I've ridden it in one or two violent thunder storms lasting hours - with gusting wind - sleet, hail, rain - aquaplaning conditions. And it simply cut through it all with the odd tail wiggle when you get over the ton on 1/2" of sheet water. We all do dumb things. I got so cold, I clenched my jaw so hard: I cracked a molar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Replaced the stock pads with EBC HH, what a difference! Went up 3 clicks of preload on the rear shock, made a huge change in the way the bike feels, put a bit more weight on the front. Moved the handlebars mounts to the forward position, a bit more room. Installed the smaller front PP windscreen, not really a windscreen, more of a wind diverter. Overall very worthwhile changes for me. The brake pads and the preload are definitely a huge improvement. I am going to have the replace the tires soon, 4th set in 12000 miles.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
18mm Gel pad inside a Neoprene cover; and the 3D mesh over
Had a good road test today - WAY too wibbly wobbly. So off it came. Comfy on the motorway for sure - but imo a liability everywhere else.
Back to just the 3D mesh and on with the "Moto-Skiveez".

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
21 Posts
Replaced the stock pads with EBC HH, what a difference! Went up 3 clicks of preload on the rear shock, made a huge change in the way the bike feels, put a bit more weight on the front. Moved the handlebars mounts to the forward position, a bit more room. Installed the smaller front PP windscreen, not really a windscreen, more of a wind diverter. Overall very worthwhile changes for me. The brake pads and the preload are definitely a huge improvement. I am going to have the replace the tires soon, 4th set in 12000 miles.
Could you describe what effect the KTM PP flyscreen has had please?
We all know that screens are a mixed blessing and their effects vary depending on the height of the rider and type of helmet etc. The only way to enjoy minimal chest wind blast and reasonable tranquility is to sit behind some sort of barn door contraption.
The slightly bigger KTM PP sport screen probably deflects some blast away from your chest but still risks leaving your helmet in dirty air, which will cause more helmet noise, based on my experience with other bikes.
So your selection of the little flyscreen is interesting to me. Does it smooth the air flow a bit whilst still leaving you in 'naked bike' air with a quiet helmet? Cheers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wasn't today but was fairly recently. I reverted back to the stock exhaust from my Arrow Pro Race Titanium for my tour. I like the Pro Ace a lot but just had the itch for the lines of that stock exhaust. And I've been reading lately that some of the alpine countries like Austria are banning use of aftermarket pipes due to noise. I know it's usually a Marmite thing (as we say over here - either love it or hate it) but I just can't make up my mind :unsure: . Am off on another short tour very shortly and may put the Arrow back on. What do you guys prefer?

Stuck some Metzeler Racetec 01 SE sport-touring tyres on there as well. Can't really attest to their longevity yet but the grip down in Spain gave no cause for concerns so am happy.

·
a d m i n .
151,084 Posts
Wasn't today but was fairly recently. I reverted back to the stock exhaust from my Arrow Pro Race Titanium for my tour. I like the Pro Ace a lot but just had the itch for the lines of that stock exhaust. And I've been reading lately that some of the alpine countries like Austria are banning use of aftermarket pipes due to noise. I know it's usually a Marmite thing (as we say over here - either love it or hate it) but I just can't make up my mind :unsure: . Am off on another short tour very shortly and may put the Arrow back on. What do you guys prefer?

Stuck some Metzeler Racetec 01 SE sport-touring tyres on there as well. Can't really attest to their longevity yet but the grip down in Spain gave no cause for concerns so am happy.
Arrow Ti all the way! 👺

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have to admit that I do like the original zorst. And being stainless means it's a doddle to clean up if it gets scratched by luggage. And wont get too messed up by any additional heat shielding you might fit so you don't burn luggage. i.e. Exhaust Heat Shield

I have a WINGS Ti fitted - but was I going to do a long run - i would probably slip the original back on. For the aforementioned, not noise. Then again I am probably part of the reason the Alpine regions are clamping down. Even back in the '80's my Guzzi got "looks" .

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
298 Posts

Arrow 100%, i can't stand the stock exhaust, it looks like a fish.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the input. I‘ve stuck the Arrow back on. Not that I’m too fussed about the weight saving as I never ride at full blast anymore but the 2 cans have to be held to understand how much lighter the Arrow is. Incredible.
Love those fish. Tea time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Could you describe what effect the KTM PP flyscreen has had please?
We all know that screens are a mixed blessing and their effects vary depending on the height of the rider and type of helmet etc. The only way to enjoy minimal chest wind blast and reasonable tranquility is to sit behind some sort of barn door contraption.
The slightly bigger KTM PP sport screen probably deflects some blast away from your chest but still risks leaving your helmet in dirty air, which will cause more helmet noise, based on my experience with other bikes.
So your selection of the little flyscreen is interesting to me. Does it smooth the air flow a bit whilst still leaving you in 'naked bike' air with a quiet helmet? Cheers.
For me the screen seems to reduce the turbulence that was hitting my chest. Not a huge difference, just a tad bit more even pressure of air hitting my chest. I am 5’10” tall for reference, and usually ride with and AGV Pista GP helmet.

1221 - 1240 of 1272 Posts