KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1151 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just re-checked my front end after letting it settle a bit. On Sunday we were worried that the forks were too harsh at minimum comp/rebound and that we'd have to go back in and re-set the adjusters to 6-8 turns of adjustment from the specified 4. On Monday I figured I should re-center the axle clamps just in case, and bingo nice plush movement. We did bounce the front end plenty on Sunday but I guess it didn't take. The adjusters are still at full out but comp/rebound feel even and good for compliance on our bumpy fun roads. We didn't do an averaging sag measurement, it's probably close enough for the street and weekend fun.

Front sag: 23mm static 38mm rider (8.0 N/mm spring)
Rear sag: 6mm static 36mm rider no gear (875 lb spring? I'd have to double check build sheet)

Also swapped out EBC HH front pads for some EPFA's (thanks @YoungLion!). Between the better pads and suspension that can actually handle dive, the brakes are quite responsive now! The HH pads are excellent for the price, my wife's done a lot of track days with them on her CBR600, and the EPFA's feel like the next step above. :)

I just heard that my two rad hoses have arrived for warranty. My replacement left/upper is leaking again through the layers and my right/lower has always been dry, but KTM says both this time and that they're not an updated part. If these leak I'll just have to get Samco hoses, I'd just prefer to keep them black.

·
VIP member
418 Posts
I cleaned my wheels today, and I almost never clean the wheels of my bikes. I put the Duke up on stands, got out the polish, and cleaned them.

Very shiny now. Maybe I can squeeze in a ride tomorrow.

·
Soopa-Mod
103 Posts
I cleaned my wheels today, and I almost never clean the wheels of my bikes. I put the Duke up on stands, got out the polish, and cleaned them.

I'm with you, not really much a fan of cleaning moto wheels either.

However, once a month I put 'er up on stands, lube the drive chain.
Then spray some WD40 on a rag, press it on the wheel, and spin the tire by hand. Both sides, and then a clean towel to both sides for any remaining, ditto on the other wheel. Only takes about 5-10 minutes. I don't go crazy cleaning the 'spokes'. They look good after!

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts

I'm the opposite.

Because of Covid restrictions I had to wait 2-3 days for my actual new bike registration and insurance papers and make an appointment to go pick it up at their office this AM so I was running late for meeting my buddies and never had time to clean the wheels - it KILLED me. OCD overload... As soon as I pulled into the gas station where my pals were the first thing they did was go off on me for my dirty wheels - assholes! LOL...

Anyway - dirty wheels and all we got in 250km's (150 miles) today and it was frickin' glorious - 25 degrees (82F) and not a cloud in the sky - mostly traffic free roads and unlike yesterday when there I passed SEVEN speed traps - today was almost entirely free of fun busters handing out performance trophies.

Best part - got home, showered, then ran back to the garage to clean the chain while still warm, give the 890R her first bubble bath, and then as !mfwic mentioned I do almost the same with WD40 except I start with brake cleaner on the outer links, then WD40 to get the rest of the grime off, then I finish with a small misting of Motul chain lube and then thoroughly wipe it all down again - all while my wife spins the rear tire for me with her gardening gloves on - true love right there folks.

Second best part - repeat the same thing again tomorrow minus the dirty wheels and the trip to get Reg papers.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
:ROFLMAO::LOL:
Never used brake cleaner on my wheels, I guess I thought I'd eff 'em up.
If, I'm out of WD40, I use Honda spray wax, which works nice also.
I use chlorine free brake cleaner and it's worth it's weight in gold - seriously. $5/can at any auto parts store and it lasts me 2-3 months/can. I spray it on a rag, clean the wheels, then on a new rag and wipe down the chain with it, then move onto the WD.

Results speak for themselves:

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cold weather(and lockdown) is getting really expensive 💰💰💰. Again this weekend it was 4c(39f) under the sun plus 70+kmh winds. So i stayed in the house loading the fireplace and browsing the web. Since i didn’t see my best friend(delivery driver) in more then a month i end up ordering;

from FortNine .....
  • Rim protector (to change my tire myself, i already have the spoons)
  • Counteract balance beads kit
  • 15w oil the upgrade the steering damper
  • Tecmate USB charger and cables
  • Summer gloves
  • 2x Power RS to replace OEM
From eBay....
  • China exhaust
..... 700$ later ! Again
So it seems like i will have to get a 2nd job to pay for my weakness love!
have a good week!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cold weather(and lockdown) is getting really expensive 💰💰💰. Again this weekend it was 4c(39f) under the sun plus 70+kmh winds. So i stayed in the house loading the fireplace and browsing the web. Since i didn’t see my best friend(delivery driver) in more then a month i end up ordering;

from FortNine .....
  • Rim protector (to change my tire myself, i already have the spoons)
  • Counteract balance beads kit
  • 15w oil the upgrade the steering damper
  • Tecmate USB charger and cables
  • Summer gloves
  • 2x Power RS to replace OEM
From eBay....
  • China exhaust
..... 700$ later ! Again
So it seems like i will have to get a 2nd job to pay for my weakness love!
have a good week!
..... Or maybe this is why I have placed the orders ?!? 🤪🤔
052D5AA2-B296-4D21-B87C-0B951DF9B9B3.jpeg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did your belly pan get shipped prior to the CV shutdown? I have been trying to get one.
Nope after. Tool about month to get to USA after shipping. I ordered it about start of global lock down and as expected took a while to get made and ship. I was in no hurry. They communicated well when I inquired

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nope after. Tool about month to get to USA after shipping. I ordered it about start of global lock down and as expected took a while to get made and ship. I was in no hurry. They communicated well when I inquired
Interesting. They told me they did not have the necessary mounting brackets and also could not ship as they were on lock down.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes had to wait on something to be made, possibly the brackets. Not sure thou.

To be fair I placed order first of March took about 5 weeks for order fulfillment then shipped mid April and took almost month through shipment and tracking to arrive. Good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Installed some new bits that I picked up off of the generous @mcbagpiper.

Anodized reservoir covers, levers, tail cover, and he even scored me a pair of the air intake orange vinyl for my new PowerParts touring screen. I think it’s a neat look for my part time cold- and long-distance setup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed an Antigravity battery. First I tried a Shorai battery, bought the model # recommended for the 790 Duke and the hold down bracket didn’t fit over the top of the battery. I could have made it work with some mods, but I wanted the battery cables and hold down bracket to be in the stock position and didn’t want to modify anything. Did some research and figured out the Antigravity battery would work! 4 pounds lighter and even has restart technology. Time to ride!!!

Attachments

1101 - 1120 of 1151 Posts