KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1151 Posts

·
VIP member
418 Posts
I added these beautiful case savers by Bonamici that come in a kit for the clutch, water pump and generator cover. I also installed axle sliders from Evotech!
I’ve been thinking pretty seriously about swapping my PP case savers for these. I don’t like having a naked water pump.

·
Registered
46 Posts
  1. Yeah that’s what sold me the water pump cover is in the kit. Bought them through Moto D, Scott’s a cool guy! I have the Bonamici chain adjusters on my R1 as well they make quality stuff!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hadn't heard anything from the suspension place in 2 months, I had just figured my Andreanis were stuck in lockdown in Italy (ordered from Italy mere days before lockdown). I called yesterday, they've been there and they forgot to call me. I didn't bother asking how long they'd been there, I didn't want to get mad. He felt bad and shipped them to me for free. I'm installing them tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am really interested to find out how simple/difficult this is.
I've seen videos of other bikes that are bad to do (690's apparently need heat and extra steps as they're not fully cartridge style), but 790's have actual cartridges already so they're easier with the proper tools (replacing cartridges is in the service manual). I've done emulators and springs in my DR forks so I'm used to bleeding them, setting oil level, aligning front end bits, etc. I'm a car mechanic and will be working with a friend who's done more bike mechanics at a shop and his own suspension work for the track, so we shouldn't have a problem at all today.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wet and windy day yesterday, perfect for bike work. Andreani install and swap the bars for ProTaper Steering Damper Low so my hands can grip the bars properly.

How I thought the stock forks were: one is compression, other is rebound.
How the forks actually are: left is dummy pogo stick, right has zero compression damping and just a sniff of rebound but only from the very bottom not mid-stroke.

We couldn't see oil from the top with the tubes compressed, and I've never seen any dampness below the forks, so we thought maybe KTM forgot to put oil in? They felt that dead and useless. Nope, we got 430mL from the left leg and 440mL from the right, plus a bit extra from extended draining and a bit left in the nooks & crannies (spec 470mL, 108mm oil height). Progressive springs are not a replacement for compression damping, KTM! It's no wonder this bike always felt light but skittish. My wife's been riding for almost 20 years and also felt uneasy on my bike, said she felt understeer as well.

I couldn't find it in the weak instructions, so we set the right leg as the rebound leg (R for Right, R for Rebound, never forget that way). Then when we're trying to re-translate the instructions for setting the cap for proper adjustment range, I found that Andreani wants Rebound on the left... Not going to happen now! Both fork legs are alive now, the valving is very noticeable when pushing each leg. Great success!

Downside of the new bars is they hit the adjusters in the forward mounting position. My hand position is great now though, stock sweep put the bars diagonally across my hands and I'd cramp up at the outside. I'm hoping that once we get preload and valving set up today I'll be able to move the bars back into the forward position, but I'll try the bars as they are for now. I need to adjust the brake line angle at the master to clear the fork adjuster as well. It's a good thing I have some RBF600 to flush the brakes with anyway.

Love taking hoverbike pics. I have some from my other bike too, haha.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I always wonder why you guys over there have such huuuge Indicators on your 790. They are stock, right?
Mine are much smaller, stock. Does it have something to do with the laws in the US / Canada?
Great, now I have to obsess about how big my indicators are and ultimately have to change them out... thanks a lot ;)

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
I always wonder why you guys over there have such huuuge Indicators on your 790. They are stock, right?
Mine are much smaller, stock. Does it have something to do with the laws in the US / Canada?
Actually no, we all just like 70 year old technology that went out of fashion 10 years ago. :)

(Yes, here in Canada at least we have some ARCHAIC laws regarding signals and their color, size, spacing, etc... Same for reflectors and the fender - if found to be out of compliance, we are issued a VI(Vehicle Inspection) ticket and we have to take the bike to a dealer after it's been "fixed" and have them sign off that the bike is road legal again.
This is just another aspect of the useless (for citizens, not the Govt) Revenue Generation our police are required to do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great, now I have to obsess about how big my indicators are and ultimately have to change them out... thanks a lot ;)
It wasn't my intention to do that, sorry bud. ;)
It's just that I don't get why KTM changed them for the non-european markets. It can't be about costs, can it?

These are the stock ones over here; EP KTM 790 Duke Tail Tidy 2018+ (Clear Rear Light)

Actually no, we all just like 70 year old technology that went out of fashion 10 years ago. :)

(Yes, here in Canada at least we have some ARCHAIC laws regarding signals and their color, size, spacing, etc... Same for reflectors and the fender - if found to be out of compliance, we are issued a VI(Vehicle Inspection) ticket and we have to take the bike to a dealer after it's been "fixed" and have them sign off that the bike is road legal again.
This is just another aspect of the useless (for citizens, not the Govt) Revenue Generation our police are required to do.
And I thought we have some strict laws over here..

1081 - 1100 of 1151 Posts