KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question on the Michelin tyres, any feedback on how they handle in the wet? I'm considering getting a Duke 890 and this was one minor reservation I had. Most people say the tyres are awesome but they certainly look more track focussed. I live in New Zealand, we have great roads but weather changes all the time.
Not going to change the decision on the bike, just curious if anyone had any comments.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Even Michelin rates them as 90% track 10% street. Looking at them I'd bet they'd provide an "interesting" experience in the rain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I rode through some serious rain a few weeks back and the Michelins were fine, i wasn't trying to get my knee down in the rain or anything but I didn't have any scary moments or unpredictable behavior.

I wouldn't worry about them too much because they aren't going to last long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose they have to meet some minimum standard to be road legal, thanks for the comments. I probably will end up replacing them relatively early on and keep them for the occasional track day

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have taken my bike on some B level back roads and can say that the lack of edge grip in wet weather is consistent with the lack of any tread. I have had one "oh $hit" moment where the rear slid out on me at lean, in sport mode, over a wet patch.

95% of the time these tires are awesome but I now keep a very close eye on road conditions for damp spots and try to take them a little bit more upright and with less gas

·
Registered
8 Posts
[QUO
Greetings from Coromandel Roysten! I'm currently using Michelin Road 5's on my 790 and they are superb in all conditions. I ride in all weathers and couldn't wait to get rid of the pure sport tyres it came with. Sport touring tyresmare the best option for NZ if you ride in all conditions throughout the year.
TE="Geoff, post: 30287, member: 478"]
Greetings from Coromandel Roysten! I'm currently using Michelin Road 5's on my 790 and they are superb in all conditions. I ride in all weathers and couldn't wait to get rid of the pure sport tyres it came with. Sport touring tyresmare the best option for NZ if you ride in all conditions throughout the year.
[/QUOTE]

Great to hear I just put Road 5's on mine up in the Pacific Northwest , looking forward to them after everything I have heard

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have enjoyed Metzeler M7RRs on a 690 Duke, 1290 Duke. That's what I replaced the oem race tires with when they crapped out at about 1300 miles. I am not a real agressive rider and I don't do track days. I have yet to find a situation where the M7RRs let me down.

I know Metzeler now has the M9RRs to replace the M7RR, but I have no experience with that newer version so I went with the 7s on my 890.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greetings from Coromandel Roysten! I'm currently using Michelin Road 5's on my 790 and they are superb in all conditions. I ride in all weathers and couldn't wait to get rid of the pure sport tyres it came with. Sport touring tyres are the best option for NZ if you ride in all conditions throughout the year.
Thanks Geoff, we have a place at Onemana so ride the Coromandel a fair bit. I have Angel GT's on my 690 which I have been pretty happy with but might be time to try something new. Hoping to put in the order for new 890 this week, still tossing up with the Street Triple RS but think 890 gonna win! Interesting that both bikes are sold out on Auckland and have to wait until September.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Thanks Geoff, we have a place at Onemana so ride the Coromandel a fair bit. I have Angel GT's on my 690 which I have been pretty happy with but might be time to try something new. Hoping to put in the order for new 890 this week, still tossing up with the Street Triple RS but think 890 gonna win! Interesting that both bikes are sold out on Auckland and have to wait until September.
Hi Roysten,
Looks like we came from the same angle. Having owned a 675 Triple 2 bikes ago, I know how good the Triples are. It came down to the 765 or the 790 and I have no regrets about buying the 790 instead. You might be interested in these 2 posts: When ageing bikers go bad......
The Scalpel - one month and 1500 km down the track .

We overlook Coromandel Harbour so if you're ever doing the Loop, call in for coffee and cake!

All the best for decision-making 😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Geoff. Had a look through your blog and and found some helpful info in there so thanks for that. The trip down the forgotten highway is one that I have done as well. Will get in touch next time doing the loop, going next weekend to Onemana but only for the day so will do the shorter version.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Thanks Geoff. Had a look through your blog and and found some helpful info in there so thanks for that. The trip down the forgotten highway is one that I have done as well. Will get in touch next time doing the loop, going next weekend to Onemana but only for the day so will do the shorter version.
No worries! Have a good trip. I'll be down in Hamilton doing some coaching with IAM. The first official outing since lockdown ended!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts