KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My four month old 790 has developed a strange front end (l think) noise. It’s a clicking/knocking sound that is most like the noise you get in a car when a pebble sticks in the wheel tread. It’s definitely speed related and not rpm related. I’ve checked both tyres several times and it only occurs at dead ahead (even a very slight lean angle stops the noise). Not a really big deal but v annoying. Your thoughts please ??

·
Registered
843 Posts
Clean the brake area thoroughly. If it were me I'd whip the pads out and use proper brake cleaner. Will most likely just be a bit of dirt holding a pad slightly off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it is a clicking or slight clattering noise it could be the cam chain tensioner. I had a BMW motorcycle that developed a similar noise and this particular part was damaged. Quick warranty claim put that issue right, perhaps an area to explore and see if this is something it could be?

Hope you get the issue sorted!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. I did a thorough brake clean but no change. I don’t think it’s the cam chain tensioner as it is not engine speed related. I have it booked in with my local dealer. Whatever it is it’s getting worse by the day. Feels like an out of round front tyre to me but l’ve never heard of this on a bike tyre. I’ll report back shortly Cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
i'll be interested to hear what this is. And if it is coming from the wheels, you could chock it up and spin the wheels and see if you can zero in on the sound.

Also check the spokes for the ABS sensor wheel, though i'm sure you've done this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer just called. Tyre was worn unevenly and was in fact slightly out of round as l thought. Only had 6000 km on them so getting new pair of PR5s. Wasn’t really happy with OEM Maxis anyway Cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
so the clicking was the tyre lifting up and then slapping the ground? i can't quite get how it makes a clicking noise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes magnets it was really strange. As l mentioned it sounded so much like a pebble stuck in the tread or perhaps a screw but tyre looked fine

·
Registered
35 Posts
My four month old 790 has developed a strange front end (l think) noise. It’s a clicking/knocking sound that is most like the noise you get in a car when a pebble sticks in the wheel tread. It’s definitely speed related and not rpm related. I’ve checked both tyres several times and it only occurs at dead ahead (even a very slight lean angle stops the noise). Not a really big deal but v annoying. Your thoughts please ??
Hi Magoo. Could it be the steering head bearings are loose or worn? The bike is so new it shouldn't be an issue but if they were not torqued to spec at the factory then maybe.

To be worn already you would have to be on the back wheel a lot and then slamming the front wheel back onto the road. On a 790 Duke? Surely not! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Ken, dealer checked bearings at 1000 km service and all were tight. Picked up bike today with PR5s and all is now good. Got that new bike feeling again. How about this though, when l left dealer (Ultimate at Nerang) bike handled like s..t check tyre pressures and there was only 33 psi in front. Slackers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts