KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Needed your help, so i was cleaning the bike today and after cleaning and drying it. I remembered i should also clean the fuel filler cap by opening it.

BIG MISTAKE !

There was a ton of water accumulated there and as soon as i opened the cap, quite a lot of that water went directly into the fuel tank, i think about half a cup(small cup) of it did go in.

Rest i managed to remove by soaking it up with na cloth and foam.

So here are a few questions i am hoping the experienced folks here could answer for me.

1) Is it normal for water to get inside the fuel filler cap even when it's lid is closed, i never had this issue with my older bikes. I mean isn't there supposed to be a gasket or seal which would not let water seep inside.
2) After opening the fuel filler cap i can see 2 holes for drainage, 1 on the top left side, which is sitting flush with the surface, and 1 on the top right which is sitting a bit elevated, which of these is the water drain ?
3) I am assuming the top left is the water drain and it seems to me that its blocked, so the next question is where is the pipe which connects to this hole, and drains the water, i am unable to find it on the bike.
4) Is there a guide on how the tank can be opened safely without damaging any part to remove the fuel and water.
5) I did crank and start the bike post this event just to make sure it's running, and let it run for about 2 minutes, is there a possibility that i might have caused any damage to the fuel subsystem, pump, lines, injectors etc ?

Sorry for the long post and a ton of questions, but i am sort of anxious atm :p

Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
832 Posts
A little water won't matter - Just fill the tank up with clean fuel and ride.

The drains! - may just be that the rubber hoses are kinked somewhere.

Is the bike from a dealer - if so - take it back to them!.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Only the gas cap itself has a gasket, gas or water should not accumulate around though, your drain seems surprisingly to be block and yes it is the left one. Try to blow in it (see the picture) to see if it is and maybe unblock it.

Since water is more dense then gas it will sink to the bottom, so if there is not too much it will eventually go through bit by bit. At this point you may fell some mist fire. Other then that it should not damage anything, but it is not a good practice 😉 as over time it will make the bottom to rust.

Other then that you would need to remove the tank and pump underneath to fully empty it .... witch you don’t really want to do !!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other then that you would need to remove the tank and pump underneath to fully empty it .... witch you don’t really want to do !!!
Thanks a lot for your feedback and suggestion, The problem is i am sure quite a bit of water has gone in, and i dont want the fuel susbsystem to have any damage down the road, i also plan to do some long tours on the bike post this corona pandemic(hopefully).

That is the reason i was keen on removing the tank and flushing it out. Any particular reason for it being a bad idea ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks a lot for your feedback and suggestion, The problem is i am sure quite a bit of water has gone in, and i dont want the fuel susbsystem to have any damage down the road, i also plan to do some long tours on the bike post this corona pandemic(hopefully).

That is the reason i was keen on removing the tank and flushing it out. Any particular reason for it being a bad idea ?
Obviously we all have some time to kill sitting aside our bike drinking beers 🍻

If you have patience it is all right to do it. First just be careful with the gas line connector at the pump cause it’s in plastic(put a bit of grease on it when clipping it back in order to don’t damage the Oring), when unscrewed lift it just a bit and disconnect all connectors; fuel gage, fuel pump, ECU, 2x vents and gas line. Then be careful with full pump gasket. Make sure to put locktite when putting back together and do not over tork these small screws. You’ll be able to find out if the drain is block in the same time. Be gentle and it’s going to be fine. Do not start the beer to early 🤪

·
Registered
14 Posts
i had a similar issue (luckily noticed that before any water got into tank - after pressure washing and routinely opening the filler cap) - turns out that this problem has already been discussed here:

https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/610-what-did-you-do-your-ktm-790-duke-today/1230-fixed-fuel-filler-drain.html

i followed the steps mentioned in post #3 from the link above, and everything went smoothly.

but in fact, before you try it, it can happen that you can do without it - just by fiddling with the drainage hose from bottom up (as far as you can reach) - grab it with your fingers, give it a good twist/pull/push + some compressed air fed in the hose from the bottom side can also help.

Only if that doesn't work, it's worth proceeding with lifting up the tank, i think.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine got a drink of water when it was also new. The hose was kinked from the guy that installed the tank. I pulled some covers to see it, then used long needle-nose pliers to pull it down. It's good now!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it seems like a common issue, another fella in my city reported this.

And i just discussed this with the KTM mechanic, and what he says is there is no immediate danger or problem, since there are 2 collection points for the fuel pump in the tank, when the fuel is more than 3 litre the top collector is used by the pump, and when its below 3 litre(aka reserve) it pulls from the bottom one.

So i guess not too much worry about, unless this pandemic causes my beloved Scalpel to sit in the garage for over 6 months.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So it seems like a common issue, another fella in my city reported this.

And i just discussed this with the KTM mechanic, and what he says is there is no immediate danger or problem, since there are 2 collection points for the fuel pump in the tank, when the fuel is more than 3 litre the top collector is used by the pump, and when its below 3 litre(aka reserve) it pulls from the bottom one.

So i guess not too much worry about, unless this pandemic causes my beloved Scalpel to sit in the garage for over 6 months.
Good to know about that 3 litre ( reserve ). As i said it will not damage anything and if you go below that point and there is still water the only thing is you may feel some mist fire nothing more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts