KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
As you may have seen on another thread, my 790 has warped front discs. So i took the bike to Premier Bikes and they measured it all up and put in a warranty claim with KTM.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Got a call from the lads at Premier Bikes.

"Disks are in, come get them :) "

2019-07-02_04-14-27 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Not much later they were all fitted.

2019-07-02_04-14-15 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Ensured i followed the KTM 790 procedure for what to tighten and when, it's slightly different a process than i'd generally do, but i can see their logic.

2019-07-02_04-14-04 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Off out for a shortish bedding in session and they're lovely and smooth. Most happy..

·
Registered
30 Posts
After only 8000KM I’m noticing more and more pulsing on the front brake - a grabby feeling at low speeds but much more pronounced if braking from 100+...it’s a little disappointing as I hardly touch the brake. Commuting and Saturday scratching only. So even if I get new rotors under warranty I’m concerned they’ll just warp in a hundred miles or so....

Anyone else had the same issue? How did KTM manage it? Is there an upgrade disc that won’t turn into toffee?

Tom in Sydney

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2018 790 has 10000km now on the clock and the front brakes are warped. The "pumpy" feeling when breaking is annoying. My own dealer said that the brake discs are so worn so they couldn't measure the warpness. What a shitty explanation. I called the official ktm import company and they called to my dealer and said that the brake rotors are being replaced in warranty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine went in for 12 month service and I asked about the front brakes. They measured the turn out and found 0.25mm variation. The max allowable is 0.10mm. They didn’t mention anything about how I brake too hard/soft/just right etc. The dealer is asking KTM for a new disc under warranty. Only problem is getting a hold of spares. So for the time being I’m putting up with pulling up at traffic lights under Marquez-style fork dives. Hopefully the new disc arrives before I get bucked off and gored by my own bike.....

Tom in Sydney

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine went in for 12 month service and I asked about the front brakes. They measured the turn out and found 0.25mm variation. The max allowable is 0.10mm. They didn’t mention anything about how I brake too hard/soft/just right etc. The dealer is asking KTM for a new disc under warranty. Only problem is getting a hold of spares. So for the time being I’m putting up with pulling up at traffic lights under Marquez-style fork dives. Hopefully the new disc arrives before I get bucked off and gored by my own bike.....

Tom in Sydney
I got the time for the disc replacement for next friday, week from now. Also asked if i could get the wawey discs if i pay the price difference between the stock and wavey discs. Didnt get the answer yet, my dealer and its customer service is a joke. Promised to call me back, havent heard from them...:mad:

·
Registered
97 Posts
...my dealer and its customer service is a joke. ....
It is unfortunately the same for the one I have in my area.
Unfortunately the one where I purchased the bike is over 100km away so is very inconvenient if I have to leave the bike overnight.

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
Had my front rotors warp on a CBR1000RR, after less than 10,000 km (~6,250 miles). Changed to Galfer over-sized kit with Galfer HH pads and never looked back. Stopping power was much better, feel was highly improved and all I had to do is change pads, once in a while. Loved it. Galfer makes great brakes.

Hope the experience on the 790 will be similar for you guys. I might follow suit.

Reactions: J D

·
Super-Member
600 Posts
Waves are awesome. Had em on my old bike. I guess time to start braking harder for the free upgrade!! ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Could someone who have already changed disc brake, measure for me two diameters marked on attachment?
I can buy 320mm Galfer, Brembo disc in better than PowerParts price, but needs these diameter to be sure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I've got about 8000 km on mine and have just noticed a very slight snatching at low speeds - eg coming to a stop at traffic lights. It's so slight that I thought it was my imagination but maybe not. I mainly use a combination of throttle and gearbox on the open road but can't say I've really noticed at higher speeds when occasionally using brakes. I was on a course a couple of weeks ago and part of it was practicing emergency braking from the open road speed limit of 100 km/hr. There was no sign of it then. Will have to get hold of a dial indicator and check the rotors. I initially wondered whether it was glazed pads. Will report back in due course when I have time to do the job properly.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've got about 8000 km on mine and have just noticed a very slight snatching at low speeds - eg coming to a stop at traffic lights. It's so slight that I thought it was my imagination but maybe not. I mainly use a combination of throttle and gearbox on the open road but can't say I've really noticed at higher speeds when occasionally using brakes. I was on a course a couple of weeks ago and part of it was practicing emergency braking from the open road speed limit of 100 km/hr. There was no sign of it then. Will have to get hold of a dial indicator and check the rotors. I initially wondered whether it was glazed pads. Will report back in due course when I have time to do the job properly.
Need to take the 790 to a track day Geoff, get some good heat through those disc's. more than likely the disc's are causing a little pulsing, light sand with 400grit then brake cleaner, then some serious braking to get an even heat through the disc rather than hot spots.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Could someone who have already changed disc brake, measure for me two diameters marked on attachment?
I can buy 320mm Galfer, Brembo disc in better than PowerParts price, but needs these diameter to be sure.
You can just use 1290 SD rotors. They are 320mm and have the same pattern. Rottweiler sells a kit with caliper spacers and longer bolts to run them.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Need to take the 790 to a track day Geoff, get some good heat through those disc's. more than likely the disc's are causing a little pulsing, light sand with 400grit then brake cleaner, then some serious braking to get an even heat through the disc rather than hot spots.
Hiya Dave!
Yep, a light sand and check the pads is my next step to see if it has any impact. Haven't done a trackday since I sold the GSX-S. Might have to treat myself for an upcoming 72nd birthday :grin: . There's a long straight on a side road not far from us so in the meantime, I'll have to see if I can get some heat into them up and down there!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hiya Dave!
Yep, a light sand and check the pads is my next step to see if it has any impact. Haven't done a trackday since I sold the GSX-S. Might have to treat myself for an upcoming 72nd birthday :grin: . There's a long straight on a side road not far from us so in the meantime, I'll have to see if I can get some heat into them up and down there!
My Multi has pulsing brakes, i purchased it with low kms and it did it from the day i got it, it was common on the Multis that weren't thrashed in braking in the disc's, I've lived with it for 70,000kms. i often sand the disc's then clean with electronic cleaner, and they are good for 3K, but the pulsing returns, its due to hot spotting on the disc's and brake pad build up on those spots, caused where from not getting consistent heat through the entire disc early on.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
My Multi has pulsing brakes, i purchased it with low kms and it did it from the day i got it, it was common on the Multis that weren't thrashed in braking in the disc's, I've lived with it for 70,000kms. i often sand the disc's then clean with electronic cleaner, and they are good for 3K, but the pulsing returns, its due to hot spotting on the disc's and brake pad build up on those spots, caused where from not getting consistent heat through the entire disc early on.
Good info thanks Dave. Away on grandparenting duties from this afternoon for a few days but will have a go as soon as I get back and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can just use 1290 SD rotors. They are 320mm and have the same pattern. Rottweiler sells a kit with caliper spacers and longer bolts to run them.
Ok, thanks for info, I know that 1290 have 62mm center hole and e.g. Duke R 690 52mm and was curious which one KTM chose for 790.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had this problem and had a new set of discs fitted under warranty. The problem recurred (after about 4000 miles). The dealer determined that the problem was that the disc mounting points on the wheel were slightly out and replaced the wheel and the discs. This has cured the problem. I know of another 790 owner who had exactly the same problem and it was fixed the same way. So I suspect there is a wheel quality control issue going on here. Anyone else had a similar experience?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts