KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great looks, riding position, torque and handling attitude, BUT!

It overheated on the first time out, at the end of a 200-mile ride. Temp went to full bars when I hit traffic. But, the handling is so confident, the power curve just right. Second time out, made it 170 miles then overheated again, even at full speed. But, the exhaust note is mean and throaty. A couple throttle blips will bring a big smile to your face. Picked her up from the 600-mile service and the quickshifter failed; dealer had no fix for it. Next weekend did the curvies ride and was able to finally open her up. Wheely time and sublime corner handling.

It really is like that woman you love but she busts your balls and drives you crazy. How much of a good thing can you tolerate?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I’ve obviously been lucky I’ve had zero issues with the two I’ve owned, fingers crossed it stays that way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Zero problems with my 2018 and l live in a very hot place. Never goes above 4 bars. Take it back to the dealer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Totally agree with the sentiment * Love / Hate relationship all round .

Rather like in the car world of old ...Alfa Romeo !

Days when it wouldnt start , ran poorly & bits broken ! BUT on those heady days when it ran sweet ,handled well you could forgive all it previous transgressions.

My 790 reminds me of days of old .

( Sorrry old man reminiscing.....) But sure you share the same sentiments ..

Keep pestering that dealer & get it sorted ....modern machinery should be more reliable but can take a little more perseverance ..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issues with the bike. Like others have stated my 790 with 8000 miles on it hasn't had a single issue. I ride in some very hot weather in our high desert summer heat and have never had the temp gauge go past 4 bars. I might climb while sitting at a stop light but instantly goes down the moment I start moving.

Its tragic the dealer has no clue - thats ridiculous for a dealer to even say that. Its either a faulty gauge, thermostat or a couple of other things that should be reasonably easily diagnosed by a competent dealer that really cares. My dealer would never let my bike leave his shop until he figured it out. Some dealers KTM or not just don't seem to care. Perhaps you can find another dealer - you can't ride a bike that overheats to the point of it either damaging the engine or leaves you stranded - Good luck '

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
Have you checked coolant level? Any possible leaks?

If it’s not that there was a thermostat replacement on a few.
Are the fans kicking in?

Take it back to the dealer, let us know how you get on.

Quickshifter unfortunate, but at least you’re still in warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you checked coolant level? Any possible leaks?

If it’s not that there was a thermostat replacement on a few.
Are the fans kicking in?

Take it back to the dealer, let us know how you get on.

Quickshifter unfortunate, but at least you’re still in warranty.
The overheating was the thermostat. The dealer diagnosed and fixed that. No more problems after that swap.

I do have to take it back in yet for the quickshifter.

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
The overheating was the thermostat. The dealer diagnosed and fixed that. No more problems after that swap.

I do have to take it back in yet for the quickshifter.

Good to hear, the QS’er probably just needs adjustment, out of curiosity were you using it during the break in?

A lot of people say they did without issue, but I know a few people that did and had similar issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts