KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Life happens :cry:

I stopped for breakfast in Descanso, Ca. this morning. As I left the restaurant just pulling out on to the cement road on old highway 80. I pulled on the throttle and the rear tire broke lose and low sided. My error it was 40 degrees and the tire was cold. I don’t know how much difference being on cement verses asphalt contributed to the rear breaking loose. I did not think I pulled on the throttle that hard. I was unhurt except my ego. The bike just had minor scrapes. I picked up the bike and cont

Damage done
  • Scraped front axle slider
  • Scraped lower engine bars
  • Scraped engine bars slider
  • Scraped bar end mirror
  • Scraped passenger foot rest slider
  • Scraped rear sub frame
  • Scraped rear stand spool
    Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk

Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Black Automotive design

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Sky Plant Hood Motor vehicle Tree

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

White Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Wheel

·
Registered
91 Posts
Like you said, life happens.

Glad you weren't hurt and it all looks like very minor damage. Nothing a little sandpaper/paint and a few small parts can't fix. Use it as an excuse to purchase a few extra goodies.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That sucks. Maybe time for me to get some protection on. Looks like it all worked as intended (except for the subframe scrape).
Can I ask what tyres(i?) you are running?
A few whiskies will help heal the ego ☺

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks. Maybe time for me to get some protection on. Looks like it all worked as intended (except for the subframe scrape).
Can I ask what tyres(i?) you are running?
A few whiskies will help heal the ego ☺
Yeah. I was a bit surprised about the subframe. I’m running Bridgestone S22’s. It’s possible there was something on the road I slipped on. But it’s the first time I had started out in weather that cold. Usually its 60+ when I leave home. I have been at that restaurant before but it’s always been much warmer. Usually the tires are well warmed up when I’ve hit the cooler weather in the mountains.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Glad you're ok!
The protection you've installed saved you big $$.
Surprised by the scrape on the subframe and also by the TC having not kicked in.
However, 40F is very cold, the S22's are hypersport tyres and maybe the TC couldn't really help because you were just pulling out?

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
Happens. Good news is that you had a lot of excellent protection.

Similar to my recent low side. Nothing to do but to move on.

Reactions: J D

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I was in sport mode
Oh sweetpea! - Time to accept age and use rain mode.
That or get a nice new bike that girlies like.

:p

Glad you're OK - 40ºF is chilly - Depending on the hours before it could have been a bit of frozen over dew.
We have roads near me that I simply will not ride once the night temp's drop. Curves that get no sun - and cold nights - often see that telltale glint of frost.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I stopped for breakfast in Descanso, Ca. this morning. As I left the restaurant just pulling out on to the cement road on old highway 80. I pulled on the throttle and the rear tire broke lose and low sided. My error it was 40 degrees and the tire was cold. I don’t know how much difference being on cement verses asphalt contributed to the rear breaking loose. I did not think I pulled on the throttle that hard. I was unhurt except my ego. The bike just had minor scrapes. I picked up the bike and cont

Damage done
You seem to have prepared your Duke well for just such s mishap. May have been invisible ice in that area.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Damage done
Glad you're OK! Yep. Cold tires on cold roads tend to do that. No TC on to save the day?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts