KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
New 790 owner. Just picked up a 2019 a week and a half ago used with ~3800 miles. Now about 4300. Noticed this. Currently it’s at the dealer but is this a common issue? I’m reading around and not finding too much information on it but I’m hoping this bike won’t be an endless road of problems... having doubts. I think I still have over a year left on warranty. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, it's on the list of issues. One member here said there's an updated gasket, which is a plus! I have 5000km on mine and my gasket has always had a tiny bit of sweating but not enough to make a run like yours.

·
Banned
282 Posts
I have a 2020 with 2700 miles. Mine leaks from there too. The half moon seal is really soft on mine. I can push in in pretty easily. I’m not surprised it leaks.
If there’s an updated part it must be pretty new. Mine was built in December 2019

No leak from the counter shaft seal yet though 🤞

·
Registered
469 Posts
Not meant to sound sarcastic but guessing you did not research before buying this bike? Very common issue since these bikes were released

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ryan, thanks for the info. Interesting to see such a 6 month old bike with such issues. I’m curious if anyone knows how recently KTM put out this supposed “new gasket.”
Fredaroony, I always knew some Ktm’s had issues with perspiration, but I didn’t know specifically about this issue with the 790. I also wouldn’t expect an issue like this so early on in its life with such low mileage. Thanks for your comment!
My bike is still at the dealer. They haven’t gotten back to me if they’ve done anything yet but I assume they’ll prob replace the seal. If the seal is the issue then there’s not much else to it, but I’m gonna ask them some questions next time I’m on the phone with them.
ill post here when I get some more info, but I was more just curious if anyone else knew about this. I’m sure the dealer/ktm will make this right! Thanks for your help everyone. I’m hoping for no more issues with this bike! An absolute riot to ride.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Mine wept very slightly out of the rear semicircular part of the gasket. It started at around 4000 km. As I live 160 km from my dealer, it didn't warrant a special trip so with a fine brush, I painted JB weld flexible sealer so that it overlapped the gasket and alloy as a temporary measure. It fixed the problem and as my 11,000 km service was a quick one with no check of clearances etc, it's still there and not leaking! I'll get it fixed properly at the next service.

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ryan, thanks for the info. Interesting to see such a 6 month old bike with such issues. I’m curious if anyone knows how recently KTM put out this supposed “new gasket.”
Fredaroony, I always knew some Ktm’s had issues with perspiration, but I didn’t know specifically about this issue with the 790. I also wouldn’t expect an issue like this so early on in its life with such low mileage. Thanks for your comment!
My bike is still at the dealer. They haven’t gotten back to me if they’ve done anything yet but I assume they’ll prob replace the seal. If the seal is the issue then there’s not much else to it, but I’m gonna ask them some questions next time I’m on the phone with them.
ill post here when I get some more info, but I was more just curious if anyone else knew about this. I’m sure the dealer/ktm will make this right! Thanks for your help everyone. I’m hoping for no more issues with this bike! An absolute riot to ride.
My valve cover gasket leaked on the ride home from the dealership which is around 50klms :) I pretty much counted on it happening as I tend to over research (more like being obsessive) before I buy things lol

·
Registered
469 Posts
Smart fix Geoff !

fred, any other issues since then? Man I should have done some more research:cry:
My dash got replaced because of white marks on it. I believe it was brake fluid dripping from the brake res but many other have had the same issue.

My steering lock didn't work from new so they had to shim it...pretty crappy fix in reality.

Been fine other than that and all minor issues in my mind.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Be careful if this issue bothers you, mine is out of warranty so is not covered for repair and the bill is pretty costly, for the price of this being fixed, I can live with a slight trickle from time to time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How long is the warranty where you are Katie?
I'm in the UK, the warranty was for 2 years so mine ended back in March

Reactions: Geoff

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes it's a common leak. Looks like KTM have updated the part

Old # 63536053000
New # 63536053100
Thanks for posting that - good to know. Mine started weeping after about 1000 miles. I mentioned it to the dealer, but as the amount that was leaking wasn't terrible, I've been waiting for the next time it's scheduled to be in for service to deal with it. However, recently - since it technically isn't due in until the 9000k mark and I may not be hitting that this summer - I decided to go ahead and schedule an appointment to have it dealt with while the bike is definitely still under warranty.

Interestingly, the guy who scheduled me said, "hopefully, it should be covered under warranty". When I said, "what do you mean 'hopefully'?", he said that KTM considers a valve gasket a "wear item". Yeah, right, like it's not designed to last until the first scheduled valve adjustment... WTF?

"Hopefully" he better be mistaken.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Thanks for posting that - good to know. Mine started weeping after about 1000 miles. I mentioned it to the dealer, but as the amount that was leaking wasn't terrible, I've been waiting for the next time it's scheduled to be in for service to deal with it. However, recently - since it technically isn't due in until the 9000k mark and I may not be hitting that this summer - I decided to go ahead and schedule an appointment to have it dealt with while the bike is definitely still under warranty.

Interestingly, the guy who scheduled me said, "hopefully, it should be covered under warranty". When I said, "what do you mean 'hopefully'?", he said that KTM considers a valve gasket a "wear item". Yeah, right, like it's not designed to last until the first scheduled valve adjustment... WTF?

"Hopefully" he better be mistaken.
Further to my "temporary fix" mentioned above, I noticed after coming back from a ride yesterday that there's a hint of misting around my front half-round too. Job to tell how long it's been there as the bike hasn't been cleaned for a while. I'll wait a bit before I paint any JB Weld on the joint. You mention the dealer's "hopefully" comment. I guess it depends how forceful the dealer is too. Mine is great in that respect and really went into bat on my behalf when I had a problem with my GSX-S 1000.

Although it has no relevance to leaks, the dealer replaced the engine to frame bolts on my 790 at the 11000 km service as part of a service directive from KTM. Has anyone else come across this?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good to know there is an updated valve cover gasket part number. As I understand it that would mean KTM are aware of the issue and revised the gasket? Either that or a change in supplier would account for a changed part number?
It is a revised, thicker gasket. I had mine replaced with the new version a couple of weeks ago, and so far, oil tight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for all your insight and stories. I’ve had the bike back for over a week now while the dealer is waiting for parts. They took the valve cover off and snugged everything down tighter they said, but it still weeps slightly - less than before though. I just have to wait until the parts are in and they said they’ll fix it right away. Dealer is making it right.

they’re planning on replacing more than just the valve cover gasket too, I’m waiting on a couple gaskets for the valve cover bolts and the ones around the spark plugs. I’ll take it! Haha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts