KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the KTM service dept getting some parts, the tech told me that the Duke 790 needs a valve clearance at 1000 miles and then again at 10k miles because they are almost always out of spec unlike Japanese bikes.

I checked the service intervals in the book and it clearly states otherwise. Is there ANY truth to this? I was about to do it myself and then realized he was just yanking my chain.

Anyone notice their valves out of spec?

·
Registered
23 Posts
At the KTM service dept getting some parts, the tech told me that the Duke 790 needs a valve clearance at 1000 miles and then again at 10k miles because they are almost always out of spec unlike Japanese bikes.

I checked the service intervals in the book and it clearly states otherwise. Is there ANY truth to this? I was about to do it myself and then realized he was just yanking my chain.

Anyone notice their valves out of spec?
That is B/S. My son has owned numerous KTM race bikes which almost never required a valve adjustment in the time he had them. Worst offender for sunken valve seats was Honda off-road bikes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
He's probably thinking about the 390's. The 390's are bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It was 18k miles on my 1190Adv and it didn't need any shims at that mileage. Sold it at 32k and it was still running sweet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
He's probably thinking about the 390's. The 390's are bad.
Don’t know about 390s but I also own a 200 duke that I have owned for years which is used as a commuter. It has well in excess of 20k and has never had the valves touched. I think the dealer is trying to get into his wallet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don’t know about 390s but I also own a 200 duke that I have owned for years which is used as a commuter. It has well in excess of 20k and has never had the valves touched. I think the dealer is trying to get into his wallet.
My wife works at a KTM dealer, OP's post mirrors what the techs keep saying about the 390's. The Duke 200's just got released here so there's zero history for us, but it's nice to hear that yours has been good!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts