KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good question. I'll have to figure out if it works when it gets here. My understanding is that you can add the relay to the circuit. Just trying stuff here.
I installed aftermarket leds turn signals front and rear. I used a resistor on each turn signal. I did not turn on led mode. I’ve had no dash warnings. The turn signals work perfectly. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I installed aftermarket leds turn signals front and rear. I used a resistor on each turn signal. I did not turn on led mode. I’ve had no dash warnings. The turn signals work perfectly. :)
What resistance worked for you? Also, mine is an 890R. I wonder if there are some slight differences between the two.

Took a ride today. I love the look of the Rizomas.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is no relay to wire into. Just put the resistors in line before the signal.
So, still fighting with this. The Rizoma resister kit had a 50 ohm resister in-line and a 100 ohm resister on the cross over. That didn't work. I tried taking out the 50 ohm resister, no dice. I tried taking out both resisters, no dice. I tied soldering in a 10 ohm and a 20 ohm resister for the crossover. the 20 ohm wouldn't even flash and the 10 ohm did nothing. I tried running various setups front to back. I had the dealer change it to LED. Still nothing. I think I may be stuck with a warning light unless someone has other ideas.

This was the Rizoma resister kit that I opened up.
Circuit component Electrical wiring Cable Electronic component Gas

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So, still fighting with this. The Rizoma resister kit had a 50 ohm resister in-line and a 100 ohm resister on the cross over. That didn't work. I tried taking out the 50 ohm resister, no dice. I tried taking out both resisters, no dice. I tied soldering in a 10 ohm and a 20 ohm resister for the crossover. the 20 ohm wouldn't even flash and the 10 ohm did nothing. I tried running various setups front to back. I had the dealer change it to LED. Still nothing. I think I may be stuck with a warning light unless someone has other ideas.

This was the Rizoma resister kit that I opened up.
Very strange. Which Rizoma turn signals did you use?

Hood Automotive design Electrical wiring Cable Auto part

R&G Racing Signal Resistors
Most bikes with incandescent turn signals often encounter the problem of a faster flash rate when switching to LED turn signals. The solution to this inherent problem is resistors.

Select the 9.8 Ohm resistors when going from 21 watt turn signals to LED turn signals.

Select the 21.5 Ohm resistors when going from 10 watt incandescent turn signals to LED turn signals.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very strange. Which Rizoma turn signals did you use?

View attachment 9027

R&G Racing Signal Resistors
Most bikes with incandescent turn signals often encounter the problem of a faster flash rate when switching to LED turn signals. The solution to this inherent problem is resistors.

Select the 9.8 Ohm resistors when going from 21 watt turn signals to LED turn signals.

Select the 21.5 Ohm resistors when going from 10 watt incandescent turn signals to LED turn signals.
These:

You think a 10 9.8 ohm resister will work when a 10 ohm won't? I can try that. I have tried just about everything else. I mean, the lights work just fine but I get the warning on the dash.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are you trying each scenario with the bike running? or just ignition on? Some owners have reported warning after fitting led's but goes off after starting.
Interesting. No, ran the Rizoma resisters and actually rode with that. With all the other combinations, I am sitting in my garage with a soldering iron and only doing one side and not starting the bike. Of course, each iteration requires the destruction of the previous one as I'm using the same connectors so I can't just go back and try all those combos easily.

The Rizoma resister kit is for the 790 which I figured would work even though my car is an 890R so I guess there are some differences between the two.

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
These:

You think a 10 9.8 ohm resister will work when a 10 ohm won't? I can try that. I have tried just about everything else. I mean, the lights work just fine but I get the warning on the dash.
I never opened my resistors.
Here is an article on how they get wired. I assume you already looked it up. But just to be sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I never opened my resistors.
Here is an article on how they get wired. I assume you already looked it up. But just to be sure.

Thank you for that. Obviously the Rizomas were wired correctly but going back and looking what I did last night, I did the 20ohm resister backwards. I guess that is what happens after a couple of beers. I ran out of connectors so I rigged it with jumpers. It looks like I was able to make it work with the 20ohm resister in the rear and no resister in the front. So, now I have more connectors, heat shrink, and wire on order so that I can rebuild something clean for a permanent install once that comes in.

I also like that it works with just one resister in the circuit as the 20 ohm resisters I bought are quite big as I bought them with heat sinks since I hear they can get hot. I would not want them in the headlight. Plenty of room under the seat though.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I also like that it works with just one resister in the circuit as the 20 ohm resisters I bought are quite big as I bought them with heat sinks since I hear they can get hot. I would not want them in the headlight. Plenty of room under the seat though.

Thanks for all the help!
I think using the 9.8 ohm resistors and one on each light spreads out that heat generated. Probably why the R&G resistors don't have a heat sink or cooling fins. I have not noticed any issues. But I also try and not forget and leave the signals on. I do wish KTM put auto cancelling on the 890R's.

Your very welcome. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
So, I spent a frustrating evening and was unsuccessful in getting it to work. Finally, I realized that the crimp on bullet connectors were not making good contact so I went straight to soldering. Thankfully, it all works perfectly now and the bike is back together.

69 degrees so I'm going for a ride. Happy Friday!

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So, I spent a frustrating evening and was unsuccessful in getting it to work. Finally, I realized that the crimp on bullet connectors were not making good contact so I went straight to soldering. Thankfully, it all works perfectly now and the bike is back together.

69 degrees so I'm going for a ride. Happy Friday!
It's always the weakest link in the chain. Enjoy your ride! :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the same indicators on my 890R. Please verify the following:
LED turned ON by dealership.
20 ohm resistors on rear only.
Anything else?
Thank you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the same indicators on my 890R. Please verify the following:
LED turned ON by dealership.
20 ohm resistors on rear only.
Anything else?
Thank you.
I don't think you need to have the dealer swap it to LEDs. That trick only works for the Euro lights. I had them do it as I had to bring my bike in for the annual inspection that we have to do in this state. I don't even know if they left it on LEDs or swapped it back.

Either two 20 ohm resistors or four 10 ohm. Don't buy the Rizoma resistors as they are the wrong impedance. I only used the connectors off of he Rezoma resistors as they plug right in to the KTM harness but you can probably find those for cheaper at an auto parts store.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts