KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the USA model with LED mode turned on means we can just install LED lights and not have to use resistors?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The USA 790 requires resistors for aftermarket signals to keep the dash alarm from coming on so I assume the 890 is the same. My dealer was able to turn the LED mode on with my 790 but they said that KTM may have changed software on the 2021 Duke 890 so it can't be switched to LED mode. I am hoping that is not the case since I just bought a set of stock LED signals. Will know in a couple of weeks once the local shop opens back up from holiday break.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Does anyone know if the USA model with LED mode turned on means we can just install LED lights and not have to use resistors?
You need resistors to equal out 21 watts worth of load depending on how many watts your LEDs are I did 21 watt resistors with one watt LEDs works perfect no LED mode needed. And they're flowing

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can enable LED mode on a US 890 and install signals without using resistors. The trick is to use the EU factory ktm LED signals. This is the setup on mine and I have no warning lights or odd flash patterns. LED mode basically just tells the BCM (body control module) that is an EU bike and to expect the draw from the factory EU signals.

Tell your dealer to look in the combination display section on the KTM diagnostic tablet. Look for a sub menu that says LED Mode.

If you wish to do this route let me know and I'll dig up the part numbers that I had to order.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Enabling LED mode on a US spec bike will allow someone to install the OEM European spec turn signals with no modifications. Using aftermarket signals will require the use of resistors to equal the OEM requirement regardless if LED mode is enabled or not.

There is another thread in the 790 forum where I and a few others detailed how we installed our signals and what exact resistors we used to get perfect function with no warning lights.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Enabling LED mode on a US spec bike will allow someone to install the OEM European spec turn signals with no modifications. Using aftermarket signals will require the use of resistors to equal the OEM requirement regardless if LED mode is enabled or not.

There is another thread in the 790 forum where I and a few others detailed how we installed our signals and what exact resistors we used to get perfect function with no warning lights.
21 watts if I'm not mistaken

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can enable LED mode on a US 890 and install signals without using resistors. The trick is to use the EU factory ktm LED signals. This is the setup on mine and I have no warning lights or odd flash patterns. LED mode basically just tells the BCM (body control module) that is an EU bike and to expect the draw from the factory EU signals.

Tell your dealer to look in the combination display section on the KTM diagnostic tablet. Look for a sub menu that says LED Mode.

If you wish to do this route let me know and I'll dig up the part numbers that I had to order.

Could you look up those part numbers for the front and rear signals? Also, where did you buy them? I'm trying to go the same route for my 2020 Duke 790, I want to also do a tidy tail and I heard the led signals won't be as susceptible to heat from the exhaust compared to the OEM incandescent signals.

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could you look up those part numbers for the front and rear signals? Also, where did you buy them? I'm trying to go the same route for my 2020 Duke 790, I want to also do a tidy tail and I heard the led signals won't be as susceptible to heat from the exhaust compared to the OEM incandescent signals.
KTM Part Number: 28514926066

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See my Yoshimura Tail Tidy install. A lot of people prefer the tail tidy that encloses the wiring. My wiring is tucked up and out of the way. I have the turn signals positioned away from the path of the exhaust. Yes I do have resistors installed. Since I have LED turn signals in front as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
See my Yoshimura Tail Tidy install. A lot of people prefer the tail tidy that encloses the wiring. My wiring is tucked up and out of the way. I have the turn signals positioned away from the path of the exhaust. Yes I do have resistors installed. Since I have LED turn signals in front as well.

View attachment 7972

That looks like a sweet setup, I think I'll look into that Yoshimura tail tidy, looks so clean.

Where did you order the signals from? Also, I read that if you're using OEM led signals that you don't need to use resistors if you have the dealer program the bike to be in LED mode. Does anyone know about this? Just trying to get all my facts straight before I start ordering. Ideally, I'd like to do the signals without having to wire any resistors in and for it to basically just be plug and play.

You're bike looks awesome btw

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks like a sweet setup, I think I'll look into that Yoshimura tail tidy, looks so clean.

Where did you order the signals from? Also, I read that if you're using OEM led signals that you don't need to use resistors if you have the dealer program the bike to be in LED mode. Does anyone know about this? Just trying to get all my facts straight before I start ordering. Ideally, I'd like to do the signals without having to wire any resistors in and for it to basically just be plug and play.

You're bike looks awesome btw
They are Yoshimura Sequential Turn signals. I have a parts list on the install page. The rear turn signal kit comes with a relay module I did not need. So I just purchased 2 front kits.

In essence mine was plug and play. LED turn signal plugs into resistor, which plugs into KTM plug adapter which plugs into wiring harness. No taking to dealer to switch to LED mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The USA 790 requires resistors for aftermarket signals to keep the dash alarm from coming on so I assume the 890 is the same. My dealer was able to turn the LED mode on with my 790 but they said that KTM may have changed software on the 2021 Duke 890 so it can't be switched to LED mode. I am hoping that is not the case since I just bought a set of stock LED signals. Will know in a couple of weeks once the local shop opens back up from holiday break.

So you installed the stock LED signals and then had the dealer put it into LED mode and it worked? I'm curious because I have a 2020 Duke 790 and I'm trying to do the same thing

·
Super Moderator
2018 Duke 790
244 Posts
So you installed the stock LED signals and then had the dealer put it into LED mode and it worked? I'm curious because I have a 2020 Duke 790 and I'm trying to do the same thing
I did that on my US spec '19 790. EU signals, dealer put it in LED mode, worked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes. I have done this on both my 19 Duke 790 and 21 Duke 890 R with no issues.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Where did you get the signals? Do you have a part number as well?
The following is the only US-based company I've found that sells the stock LEDs. Keep in mind that these prices are per piece and do not include additional hardware (washer, lock washer, and collar nut) which are also per piece and sold separately.

Part # 60314025000 - turn signal front left/rear right [link]
Part # 60314026000 - turn signal front right/rear left [link]

Another option for a quarter of the money is to order from AliExpress [link]. Chances are they're produced by the same/similar factory anyway.

Honestly, ~$200 for stock LEDs is pretty outrageous, especially given that they're plastic. Then add another $50 for LED mode activation or more resistors, etc... For that kind of money, it makes more sense to just go for a set of Yoshimuras as per the suggestion of @WishIwasFaster.

Personally, I'm split between either doing the AE signals + dealer charge for LED mode (~$100 all said and done) or doing the Yoshimura + resistors route (~$200). Leaning Yoshi at this point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts