KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my 790 in for warranty work, possible oil leak and the bike is starting to randomly shut off again when coming to a stop. It randomly shut off about 7-10 times when I first got the bike and didn't do it for a long time and it's done it twice in the past two weeks.

Anyways, the dealer said because they couldn't find anything wrong, no leak and couldnt replicate it shutting off, so they have to charge me a service fee because it's not warranty work?

Is this normal procedure?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you see an oil leak? Are you getting any warnings on the dash when the bike shuts off?
cant see an oil leak but had to add oil after bike sat for two months.

the dash screen turns off and flashes the wrench symbol and then turns back on

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you're losing oil and can't find any leaks, I'd check the airbox to see if there's any in there. I recall a member on here having that issue.

As for the bike shutting itself off, does it happen when the bike is hot? Could be an intermittent Immobilizer failure. Kickstand switch possibly too. How many miles are on the bike?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're losing oil and can't find any leaks, I'd check the airbox to see if there's any in there. I recall a member on here having that issue.

As for the bike shutting itself off, does it happen when the bike is hot? Could be an intermittent Immobilizer failure. Kickstand switch possibly too. How many miles are on the bike?
yeah not too worried about the issues

more asking if its normal to be charged for bringing in a bike for warranty work?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Brought my 790 in for warranty work, possible oil leak and the bike is starting to randomly shut off again when coming to a stop. It randomly shut off about 7-10 times when I first got the bike and didn't do it for a long time and it's done it twice in the past two weeks.

Anyways, the dealer said because they couldn't find anything wrong, no leak and couldnt replicate it shutting off, so they have to charge me a service fee because it's not warranty work?

Is this normal procedure?
You should wear the helmet-mounted action camera and record your ride. You will then have proof. Also, call US KTM. They will work with your dealer. I think your dealer is shady.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same issue. I had front brake issues, where I was getting pulsing at low speeds. I scuffed up my rotors, which helped but it still continued. I took my bike into the dealer and they showed my rotors were not warped at all and said my pads were the cause. I also had a small amount of oil leakage from the top of the head, but they basically said it was unlikely to be covered by warranty and then charged me $160 for the time.

From what this dealer told me, KTM is a pain in the butt to do warranty work with and the dealers often get stuck with the cost of repairs, so they're hesitant to go through that process. It's a real shame to get such terrible service on a brand new bike, but I am ok not having someone else work on my bike...and I love the heck out of this bike, so who cares!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts