KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 890 Duke R - 1994 Suzuki RM 250
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if it is possible to turn the DRL lights off permanently. After every shut down the DRL-setting is turned back to "On".
I prefer riding with the DRL off, so therefore I want to keep them off if it is possible.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They're a safety feature, I would not advise turning them off even if you think it looks better.
I believe all vehicles should have lights on 100% of the time, there's a reason they removed headlight switches from motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I will need to recheck, but AFAIK if you turn off DRL - basically you run on Dipped beam.
There is no lights on/off switch and thus the KTM defaults (like many other bikes) to "LIGHTS ON" at least with engine running.

When I bought my 790 DRL had indeed been turned OFF - I turned it back on. BUT I am seriously thinking of returning to dipped beam mode over winter - as the headlight goes from DRL to DIP every time you hit a shady patch. The car in front will basically think you are flashing them. And if it happens to be a LEO - well they can be officious.

The DRL off feature is due to DRL not being legally permitted in some countries - the law stipulates dipped beam.
The DRL is the inferior pair of beams which are also part of the High beam.

One could speculate at the option of disconnecting the DRL led feed but this will almost certainly cause an error on the dash.

But it is a "logic" issue if it is resetiing when the ignition is cycled - KTM.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm UK based (maybe different spec) but I went into the menu & turned off DLR & I run on permanent dipped headlights to stop the switch back & forth as Barbagris said. Works for me

p.s. I still don't trust other road users though :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts