KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, curious if anyone has had any similar issues or has any thoughts.

I recently was able to get out for a quick ride (break in the snow) for the first time since installing my powerparts rearsets. Almost every single time I'd try to take off from a stop and shift from 1st to 2nd, the shifter would not push past neutral, I'd have to do a separate shift to go from neutral to second, and even that only worked after a few tries. This is not a false neutral - it's a real neutral for what it's worth.

Every other gear shifts fine and as normal, and I haven't previously experienced anything like this - the only new piece is the rearsets.

When on the stand (where I know shifting is less reliable), I can feel the shift arm hit some sort of stop - and then it will let me push through and drop into gear when I spin the wheel. However, this was happening out on the road almost 100% of the time, and was really quite sketchy!

The bike is set up for GP shift and I did not reposition the shift arm when installing the new rearsets, so that hasn't moved in a while and was not having issues previously.

Any ideas?

Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've not had any issues, but I'm setup for the standard shift pattern and no transaver at the moment.

I was actually having false neutrals with the stock setup and the powerparts rearsets has made it better.

Maybe try without the transaver and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of trying without the Transaver, I wish it wasn't winter! Days where I can get out even just to ride up the street are going to be few and far between for a while.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm standard shift with the PP rearsets and have 1-2 issues with the clutch as well. Also a Transaver, which in may case shouldn't have any impact on upshifts as the shock would be in tension. I had the Transaver for a while before getting the rearsets, no problems then on street or track.

Mine will show 2nd on the dash before bouncing back to N when I let the shifter go and release the clutch. With the clutch pulled it can take 4-5 attempts to get it to stay in 2nd. I've had to leave my foot lifted in 2nd while releasing the clutch gently to get it to stick more consistently, I can feel the final click as the dogs engage before I release the clutch. Quickshifter is no problem, it's only when using the clutch.

I have the Factory Pro shift kit, which did solve the 5-6 false neutral. I've had the clutch all apart, smoothed the basket/hub and de-burred all of the plates, shift shaft out and checked for cracks/wear. No change. I had a bent locating pin for the shift sensor, changed that and had the dealer do the alignment procedure again, no change. Adjusting the clutch and shifter position to engage more positively, no change.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like the exact problem I have. did you have any issues prior to installing the rearsets? I have to think it might be related to maybe the travel on the shift linkage?

FWIW I also have the factory pro shift kit which I installed after some scary 5-6th false neutrals on the track.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had zero problem before the rearsets, they went on about a year after the other shift parts. Transaver was insurance (and I had a Rottweiler order going already), but the Factory Pro kit made a big difference. Usually it takes 20-30min of riding for it to start happening to me. After having the dealer align my shift sensor, I let it idle in the parking lot for 10 minutes to let the ECU re-adapt the idle, and my first 1-2 shift out of the parking lot was a miss.

The pedal doesn't have any limitation of movement where we shift, so I kept looking at everything else. I still can't fathom how the rearsets can be causing this, but it's the only thing consistent among us and a couple other references I've seen online. I adjusted my shifter quite far down to make sure I was getting max movement from it, and being very deliberate with my foot, and it still does it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had little to zero issues with the stock rearsets, maybe mis shift 2-3 once a month.

Put on the KTM power parts rearsets and I misshift daily, I've tried like 20 different adjustments nothing works, very frustrating - almost want to install the OEM rearsets back. Also this is like my 10th+ bike I've put rearsets on so I think I know what I'm doing lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've had the same issue when the rearsets were at mid-height rear-most setting, and now with highest forward setting. So it hasn't followed my main positioning, or pedal height adjustments.

The only thing I can really think of is if the pivot points are so wrong that the movement rate at the selector shaft is incorrect to ensure positive dog engagement of an upshift. What else can rearsets influence? We have the range of motion, no external parts are hitting other parts.

We know that we need to ensure the arm on the selector shaft needs to be 90 degrees to the rod to ensure equal movement up/down shift. This is in the manual, and I made sure mine was as close to 90 as I could with the splines. My angle at the pedal pivot is a bit shy of 90 degrees, so an upshift for me would require slightly more travel than a downshift. I'm deliberately maxing out the pedal travel on a shift, so I'm not convinced the angle itself is enough to cause this.

Lever length between the pedal pivot and the rod pivot would change the movement ratio / rotational acceleration of the selector shaft. But this happens to me when clutch shifting normally, as well as super slow sequencing. I haven't compared the length to the stock rearsets yet.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive design Automotive exhaust

Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put a set of calipers on both the stock and powerparts rearset - not a very accurate measurement because I didn't take them off the bike - but at the very least the distance between the pivot point of the rearset and the bolt for the shift linkage is very close, within a couple mm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts