KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the exact diameter for the hole in the bottom of the triple tree? I am going to measure it but want to be sure i dont make a mistake. I contacted T-Rex racing and they are willing to make a pin that would support the 790 so you can get a triple tree front stand.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Are you moving the 3-way brake line T-connector? it is blocking the opening.

I managed to measure ~22mm, but it is difficult to get the caliper in there due to the T-connector. Definitely would not work to lift from there unless you relocate it.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you moving the 3-way brake line T-connector? it is blocking the opening.

I managed to measure ~22mm, but it is difficult to get the caliper in there due to the T-connector. Definitely would not work to lift from there unless you relocate it.
I just noticed that too, we probably cant move that!

·
VIP member
415 Posts
The front stand I’ve had for years keeps me from being able to remove the axle. So, I was thinking about getting a stand with a pin.

What pin stand works best? Does it block access to the calipers?

Anyone have an under leg stand that allows the axle to be removed? It looks like one that has pins that go into the bottom of the fork leg would work.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The front stand I’ve had for years keeps me from being able to remove the axle. So, I was thinking about getting a stand with a pin.

What pin stand works best? Does it block access to the calipers?

Anyone have an under leg stand that allows the axle to be removed? It looks like one that has pins that go into the bottom of the fork leg would work.
Well, they're complex these, you can use the ones that fit under fork leg, you just need to loosen the clamp bolts and axle nut before lifting. It's not ideal

The ones with pins rarely work and didn't on the 790, this is because the gap from the bottom of leg to axle is shorter than the length of the pins, so you can undo everything but the axle won't slide out as it's sitting on the pin. Again, not ideal.

Best solution I found for the 790 was ABBA stand.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well, they're complex these, you can use the ones that fit under fork leg, you just need to loosen the clamp bolts and axle nut before lifting. It's not ideal

The ones with pins rarely work and didn't on the 790, this is because the gap from the bottom of leg to axle is shorter than the length of the pins, so you can undo everything but the axle won't slide out as it's sitting on the pin. Again, not ideal.

Best solution I found for the 790 was ABBA stand.
I’ve not got the Abba stand yet but will be getting one soon.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I’ve not got the Abba stand yet but will be getting one soon.
Never seen this one before. Super cool. When I need to take the front wheel off I use a rear stand in conjunction with a jack. This is, clearly, much more stable. Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Mine is a "Black Widow". Another non-brand. Got the set, F+R, for around $90 about 10 years ago. Works as advertised. Never had a problem. Here: https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-stand/c/2122/

At the end of the day, the standard stands/jacks are not rocket science. The all do an OK job. Give them a minimum amount of TLC and they will last forever.

Going with a triple tree pin type or something like the Abba is definitely better if you plan to take off the front wheel or forks. A solid jack and/or a jack stand will help with this. otherwise.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered a stand from T-Rex racing today, I had them for my 1098 for a decade and they were great. A bit cheaper then the pit bulls too!

To get the right size pin I ordered a 24 and asked them to mill it to a 23, I’ll report back on how well it all works.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered a stand from T-Rex racing today, I had them for my 1098 for a decade and they were great. A bit cheaper then the pit bulls too!

To get the right size pin I ordered a 24 and asked them to mill it to a 23, I’ll report back on how well it all works.
Received my stands today but they didn't mill the pin....i called them and they are sending me the correct pin at no charge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts