KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the shifter on my 790 has always been a bit wonky, but I thought I'd moved past that. The Factory Pro shift detent kit I installed a year ago took care of the false neutrals when using the quickshifter (unless you really love that 5-N-6). I put it all back together following the manual, making sure the discs were indexed properly.

Before I put the bike away for the winter I started to have issues with 1-2 while using the clutch and riding normally. The display would show 2 until I released the shifter and it would go back to Neutral, and it would repeat 5-6 times before finally sticking in 2nd and I could release the clutch. This year it's every time when it's hot. Once on my last ride it dropped from 3 to N while I was still clutched, and it would grind when I tried to shift up or down, I had to carefully release the clutch to reset the forks and try to shift again. Quickshifter works mint, shift linkage is lubed and free, clutch cable is adjusted and I can easily move it in the jacket. Other than the once from 2-3, it's fine with the other shifts.

I'll be removing the clutch cover and checking my detent arm soon, and dismantling the clutch to see if there's anything amiss there. I'd expect the quickshifter to be misbehaving if there was an issue with forks/dogs or the detent arm. I have parts coming to update my oil pump in a couple months, but I don't think that grants me access to have a look at forks/dogs from below.

Fluid-wise, it's done it on last year's Motorex as well as this year's. I do add approx 100mL Lucas Racing Zinc to the oil to keep my cams from wiping again, but it's supposed to be safe for wet clutches.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
155 Posts
i have a mis-shift problem as well, happens alot more frequent when bike is warm, I thought it was due to ktm powerparts rearsets - since that is when i noticed it after installing those

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have the PP rearsets, but it's done it in two entirely different peg positions. My shift rod angle at the shaft arm is as close to 90deg that I can get it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ive already tried like 4-5x diff splines, and all the various peg and shift rod linkage adjustments, like 10+ adjustments, im almost ready and gonna give up and go back to the oem rearsets

also if you actually look at where the sensor gets positioned when you put your spline at a perfect 90 degree, that sensor is no longer in the middle for up/down shift that triggers the qs to cut ignition, this is all good if you have your pegs/shift linkage setup in a way for easy shift up or down in 1 way and do not want it even, this is whats on my bike so dunno if they all like this or mines just special spline or something

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive already tried like 4-5x diff splines, and all the various peg and shift rod linkage adjustments, like 10+ adjustments, im almost ready and gonna give up and go back to the oem rearsets

also if you actually look at where the sensor gets positioned when you put your spline at a perfect 90 degree, that sensor is no longer in the middle for up/down shift that triggers the qs to cut ignition, this is all good if you have your pegs/shift linkage setup in a way for easy shift up or down in 1 way and do not want it even, this is whats on my bike so dunno if they all like this or mines just special spline or something
In the service manual the sensor is offset the same as my bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts