KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulled between the full Ohlins setup and the full WP Apex Pro setup.

Ohlins has the known tradition, quality, reliability.
WP is somewhat specified on KTM and probably had a good amount of testing on the 790.

I tend to go towards Ohlins, but it would be arround 500€ more (Components + install) compared to the WP.

Tough decision.. :/

What are your experiences with the WP Apex Pro?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Buy a shock with ride height adjustability neither ohlins or wp offer this.
I had a PENSKE shock on an R6 that I raced for a few years. That was a QUALITY product; built from scratch to suit my weight and riding conditions, and it cost less than OHLINS.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
IMO buy what is supported by your local shop. I was going to go with Öhlins but I don’t have a local dealer to talk with and build a relationship with to make sure it all works right. I went with the WP Pro setup as the shop I use has extensive knowledge with their kits.

All said and done you can’t go wrong with either though as long as it is setup RIGHT.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had a PENSKE shock on an R6 that I raced for a few years. That was a QUALITY product; built from scratch to suit my weight and riding conditions, and it cost less than OHLINS.
I agree there’s better alternatives for less money than Ohlins

·
Registered
839 Posts
IMO buy what is supported by your local shop.
This is the real key.

If you really want to get things set up for you, there is no replacement for a local place with expertise that understands marque "X".

My local place makes their own suspension units as well as maintaining other stuff. https://www.dmxsuspension.es/instalaciones.php?a=2 - And they do a mass of KTM offroaders. They usually have at least two bikes up on the benches. - They even have their own off road circuit for testing.

At the time they had no solutions for the R3 - but were happy to take on the Maxtons.

·
Registered
415 Posts

WP is somewhat specified on KTM and probably had a good amount of testing on the 790.

I tend to go towards Ohlins, but it would be arround 500€ more (Components + install) compared to the WP.

Tough decision.. :/

Both will be more orientated to track valving set up, i went for a Nitron shock as my local Ohlins tech shop sells both, he recommended the Nitron over the Ohlins. He said Nitron out of the box are brilliant, where as the Ohlins may need valving to suit road riding. He also recommended a Matris fork kit. I got the Matris, but found their lightest stock springs are too firm for my weight, so he has had to fit lighter Racetec springs and alter the valving to suit. But the Nitron shock is amazingly good, with good noticable adjustment. You would have to go to TTX to get close.

·
242 Posts

Tough decision.. 😕

Both will be more orientated to track valving set up, i went for a Nitron shock as my local Ohlins tech shop sells both, he recommended the Nitron over the Ohlins. He said Nitron out of the box are brilliant, where as the Ohlins may need valving to suit road riding. He also recommended a Matris fork kit. I got the Matris, but found their lightest stock springs are too firm for my weight, so he has had to fit lighter Racetec springs and alter the valving to suit. But the Nitron shock is amazingly good, with good noticable adjustment. You would have to go to TTX to get close.
There internal adjustments on the WPs that are set on install to gear the suspension to suit track, street or a mix. Just had this call with my shop to figure out what it should be geared for.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hmmm - Called them and they said - "Come on Down - we've not done a 790 yet!" The plus (here) is that they will look almost stock.

Rising rate springs, I'm not a fan, soft and plush then hard through the stroke, thats why i changed out my 790s suspension.

·
242 Posts
Hmmm - Called them and they said - "Come on Down - we've not done a 790 yet!" The plus (here) is that they will look almost stock.

Rising rate springs, I'm not a fan, soft and plush then hard through the stroke, thats why i changed out my 790s suspension.
Me neither, they always seem to be used on budget suspension.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Me neither, they always seem to be used on budget suspension.
Yip. Ohlins lost the contract to supply suspension for the Multistrada's from 2013 onwards as Ohlins wouldn't produce a rising rate spring for the Multi which Ducati were wanting. Its hard to valve suspension accurately if the spring rate changes through its stroke (compression). The stock 790 suspension is good, good for a 70kg rider and good for a 100kg rider, but not perfect for any, thats the beauty and problem with rising rate springs, they work ok for various weight riders, so make bikes rideable for a range of weights meaning one suspension suits all. A good option for manufacturers.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There internal adjustments on the WPs that are set on install to gear the suspension to suit track, street or a mix. Just had this call with my shop to figure out what it should be geared for.
Go on... what are these internal adjustments you speak of. And it can be changed?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Rising rate springs, I'm not a fan, soft and plush then hard through the stroke, that's why i changed out my 790s suspension.
Damian at DMX will fit whatever you ask him to. He'll probably dance when I say NOT progressive.

There is only one rising rate spring I will use willingly - AIR. If it's well done the change in air pressure also modifies the hydraulics. It's **** useful on bikes with shaft drive due to the massive un-sprung weight. The only ones I know of are Fournales in France. But it is in my opinion more of a Touring than Sport option.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Damian at DMX will fit whatever you ask him to. He'll probably dance when I say NOT progressive.

There is only one rising rate spring I will use willingly - AIR. If it's well done the change in air pressure also modifies the hydraulics. It's **** useful on bikes with shaft drive due to the massive un-sprung weight. The only ones I know of are Fournales in France. But it is in my opinion more of a Touring than Sport option.
I think rising rate springs are fine on touring bikes etc, And with electronic suspension where the valving can be adjusted during shock stroke. But when you want feel and feed back, especially on the track, the soft part of the travel gives a vague feel, and the transition from left-hander to right hander the bike feels like it floats at the upright stage in transition. To be honest, the stock suspension was bloody good, but it did have a harshness with the speed of the first soft part of the springs travel hitting the heavy part of the springs compression, that was my only qualm. On smooth roads the stock suspension would be more than adequate. I have a 1.1 Kn spring now in my 790 shock (thats light for the 790 direct load, no linkage) but it gives me between 35-40mm of rider sag depending where I'm riding (35-track, 40mm road) one full turn of preload. I'm waiting on a set of Racetec 7.0 Kn springs and spacers for the front, have 7.4 in at the mo. (36-38mm sag) I'm 78kgs.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
442 Posts
I must be the pickiest Mo-Fo out there as I HATED the OEM tires (only tried them on a friends 790 and mine left the dealership with Dunlop Q3+'s on it) and the OEM suspension was brutal as well for trying to get a hustle on.

Commuting - fine.
Riding anything under 7/10's pace - adequate at best.
70% and above - dangerous and a hindrance for transitions - you have to wait too effing long for it to settle before initiating the transition.

Rising rate junk - soft, soft, soft, then BANG - through the stroke.

·
242 Posts
Go on... what are these internal adjustments you speak of. And it can be changed?

I honestly don’t know the details but this is what my shop was asking me this week. They wanted to know my mix of riding and they flat out said because there are internal settings they need to change based on what I do. Guess I could ask them this week when I pick it up.

I must be the pickiest Mo-Fo out there as I HATED the OEM tires (only tried them on a friends 790 and mine left the dealership with Dunlop Q3+'s on it) and the OEM suspension was brutal as well for trying to get a hustle on.

Commuting - fine.
Riding anything under 7/10's pace - adequate at best.
70% and above - dangerous and a hindrance for transitions - you have to wait too effing long for it to settle before initiating the transition.

Rising rate junk - soft, soft, soft, then BANG - through the stroke.
I’m with you, once you pushed the bike a little bit everything gets out of sorts. I can’t wait to try it with the new tires and suspension.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I honestly don’t know the details but this is what my shop was asking me this week. They wanted to know my mix of riding and they flat out said because there are internal settings they need to change based on what I do. Guess I could ask them this week when I pick it up.
Oh sure, I guess they could always change the washer stacks... of course.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts