KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a YouTube video of a guy who got into a low speed crash in a corner. It looked as if the front end washed out. He said there were some fluid in the road. I asked if traction control was on. He said traction control is only for the rear wheel. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Correct. Traction control only works on the wheel being driven. The TC system only works on the engine. The front wheel only has brakes to work with, so it gets ABS.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct. Traction control only works on the wheel being driven. The TC system only works on the engine. The front wheel only has brakes to work with, so it gets ABS.
This sucks. And I thought this was the perfect bike. Now I have to be more aware of the front tire traction and surface conditions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This sucks. And I thought this was the perfect bike. Now I have to be more aware of the front tire traction and surface conditions.
It's not the bike's fault, there's only so much electronics can do before the laws of physics take over. If a tire doesn't have any mechanical grip then there's really no saving it. The Yamaha Niken was created with two front tires for this exact scenario.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Please, be safe. You should not be riding in a way that you are depending on electronics to keep you upright. You should be riding no different than you would on a bike with no electronic aids at all. Depend only on your skill as a rider. The electronics may come into play one day in a completely unexpected situation.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Even 4WD cars won't save your ass all the time. Heavy rain, ice... any time you have to stop or accelerate and you don't have traction, then there's nothing to control.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
It doesn't suck at all. Continually improving our rider skill set and situational awareness is what helps to a long riding career without serious harm :smile: . Even with the best electronic aids in the world, there are some everyday conditions which will bite you. Last year, I had the front end wash out in winter temperatures because I couldn't get enough heat into the OEM sport tyres. I stayed on, but 3 days later, the bike had sport touring tyres fitted! On our recent NZ tour which I mentioned on this forum, the bike had a little lie down at walking pace on a wet clay surface. No electronic aid would have saved me on that one! :surprise:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All are good points.
I shouldn't rely on electronic riding aids to keep me safe. I should use my head.

·
Registered
846 Posts
From a purely "devils advocate" POV.

How would one envision traction control working on any wheel with no drive?. Physics is physics. ABS and TCS work by not allowing one to force past the friction that exists. If there is no friction - you cannot create it.

A 4wd that loses traction is usually uncontrolable. A 2WD car that loses traction - it depends. FWD usually will lose out. A RWD car you can SOMETIMES escape by applying the handbrake or if you really good - slip into reverse Point ahead and pray. And don't brake.

I cant comment on the non-EU market but the 3 wheeled scooters like Piaggio MP3 and the NIKEN are maybe the answer for bikes. That or tilting trikes - No I won't be doing this. I'm perfectly happy to accept heating and A/C.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Actually in really bad ice - you are often better of with 2WD.
This I don't understand... when a traction system detects that traction is lost in one wheel, it compensates by reducing power to it, and when it has traction can increase power to it, so how is that not always better in 4WD vs 2WD?

Or am I giving AWD too much credit?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Or am I giving AWD too much credit?
I have NOT yet driven real AWD - i.e. a different (electric) traction unit per wheel. This might well work well. In theory anyway.

If we're talking a traditional Ferguson Formula solution - differentials - then my experience is that it can get overcome very fast on sheet black ice. There is often too much mechanical inertia to react fast enough.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Traction control on the 790 is great IMO. One of the best features of this bike. Riding my 790 in the wet and in Rain mode, I've purposely given it full throttle to spin the rear tire and the bike smoothly and quickly stopped the spinning until traction was returned.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have NOT yet driven real AWD - i.e. a different (electric) traction unit per wheel. This might well work well. In theory anyway.

If we're talking a traditional Ferguson Formula solution - differentials - then my experience is that it can get overcome very fast on sheet black ice. There is often too much mechanical inertia to react fast enough.
On ice, there's not a lot that'll help besides studded tires. As far as accelerating and turning I'd certainly say 4WD/AWD has the advantage. In braking situations, there's no benefit of one over the other.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts